Had a disappointing night.

RED LS1

I bought a bone stock car early this year. It was a total pooch from day 1. It would not do a burnout in a puddle of water. I did V/C and Intake gaskets which led to a list of other stuff. Here is some of the things I did. new sensors, 160 Therm, New Fuel pump, 60's, TT Chip for 18psi, RJC Powerplate, up and mass air pipe, 9" filter, Cat delete pipe, plugs, RJC wires and Turbonetics boost controller set around 18psi.

After getting this stuff all ironed out the car is now much faster. It will smoke the tires or if I just hit it while rolling it will mid spin pretty good and chirp 2nd pretty hard. I thought for sure this car could go mid to low 13's on an easy run and maybe 12.99 with slicks and a killer launch. Those were my goals.

so I take it down the track. I leave with 0-1psi and it goes 14.0 at like 96 or something. I was of course very disappointed. I almost didn't run it again but what the hell. I left this time with about 2-3 psi and really didn't get much if any tire spin and it went 13.80 at 97 mph. 1.98 60ft.

The car is on regular street tires and scanmaster shows 780-810 and 0 KR.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I didn't think I should have to crank the boost to 20+ and put slicks on to go 13.50 lol. Two things I'm considering is the dump was closed and going through a $2 single Walker Dynomax muffler. Also, It seems to be shifting around 5600 which seems pretty high for a bone stock motor. I thought 5000 is more appropriate.

I should have done the valve springs the first time I had everything apart.

You would have to measure the lift on the cam lobe with a dial indicator. Also have you verified the timing chain isn't sloppy?

I haven't done anything yet just parked it after the track on Friday.

It sounds like i'm not crazy for thinking the car should be a little faster than 13.80 with 18psi and a 1.9 60.

Your 60' is the issue. 235 drag radials and higher boost launch will get you close to your goals.

Not really, no. I've seen them deposit a lobe into the oil before but how would you tell if it was going away slowly?
You can crank the engine with the valve covers off using the starter motor A wiped lobe is very obvious. The lift will be half or less than all the others.

As mentioned valve springs are a must, after all these years even a low mileage car will have weak springs. Is the new fuel pump hotwired? A more free flowing exhaust would also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED LS1, I tried to PM you but I keep getting an error message. We look to be close to each other, my car is a similar build with a few more items then you have. I’d be more then happy to show you what I’ve done to mine, and take her for a ride so you can maybe decide the path for yours

I believe Pronto is right. That 60ft time is your biggest problem, every 10th you can knock off takes two10th's off at the top end.

Assuming everything you did is right, work on those 60 ft'rs.

The only thing that will help your 60ft times is seat time and more runs. Don't worry about the guy in the lane next to you, race yourself. Talk to other guys with experience at the track, ask for advice and work out a starting line routine and then follow it, every single time.

A 1.60 60ft time would have likely netted you a 13.1, much closer to your goal. A little more boost (say 5lbs) at launch would help you nail it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been around these cars since the 90's and had a few. My last car had XFI, CPT66BB, Ported heads, and all the rest of the goodies. I never ran it but it hung with my brothers High 10sec GN to an extent. I also have a Pretty fast Nitrous, 408 Stroker Mustang.

Anyway, I have an extra pair of Mickey Pro's hanging around so I'm looking for a pair of beater wheels to go back to the track. The car has 50,000 miles on it so I assumed the motor was sound and skipped the valve springs. I should have never done that because it feels like it's laying down a bit in the higher RPM's. I assumed it was just prolonging the shift but maybe it's the valve springs? who knows. I know the car needs a better 60 than a 1.9 but I couldn't imagine a 1.6 60ft going low 13's. lol. 1.6 should be like low 12's in my book.

Tom87, I am in Delaware County just outside Philly. Also, the pump is hotwired for whoever mentioned that. Where do you guys think is a safe place for a stock Turbo and boost? Maybe I should be looking for 20psi?

I bought a bone stock car early this year. It was a total pooch from day 1. It would not do a burnout in a puddle of water. I did V/C and Intake gaskets which led to a list of other stuff. Here is some of the things I did. new sensors, 160 Therm, New Fuel pump, 60's, TT Chip for 18psi, RJC Powerplate, up and mass air pipe, 9" filter, Cat delete pipe, plugs, RJC wires and Turbonetics boost controller set around 18psi.

After getting this stuff all ironed out the car is now much faster. It will smoke the tires or if I just hit it while rolling it will mid spin pretty good and chirp 2nd pretty hard. I thought for sure this car could go mid to low 13's on an easy run and maybe 12.99 with slicks and a killer launch. Those were my goals.

so I take it down the track. I leave with 0-1psi and it goes 14.0 at like 96 or something. I was of course very disappointed. I almost didn't run it again but what the hell. I left this time with about 2-3 psi and really didn't get much if any tire spin and it went 13.80 at 97 mph. 1.98 60ft.

The car is on regular street tires and scanmaster shows 780-810 and 0 KR.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I didn't think I should have to crank the boost to 20+ and put slicks on to go 13.50 lol. Two things I'm considering is the dump was closed and going through a $2 single Walker Dynomax muffler. Also, It seems to be shifting around 5600 which seems pretty high for a bone stock motor. I thought 5000 is more appropriate.
Stock engine likes to be shifted about 4800 rpm

Safe bet on 93 with no anti detonate is about 18psi. Every car is a little different, some a little more some less depends a lot on tune. Mine likes about 17. At that I get 0 KR and 02 right around 780 wot in 3rd.

I could probably squeeze a little more but I don’t like to gamble and I’ve already lifted a head once..... (that was at 20psi) I’m also just outside of Philly in Havertown.

I agree. I don't know why mines shifting well over 5k. Possible someone put a different Governor in there over the years.

Check the governor spring, may have fallen off. Or could be the wrong governor.

There's a laundry list of things I'd like to do to this car come spring of next year. I'm done spending money on it this year as I did a lot of basic upgrades this summer when I got it. I'm gonna do a deep pan and extension, Servo and fluid change to the trans. I guess I can check on that governor at that point. I need an exhaust upgrade from a new Turbo to the tailpipe.