Harmonic dampener

Ernie GN

Just floor it
Looking for recommendations on a good harmonic dampener for internal balanced engine
87 GN
Street car
I don’t want SFI approved

Don’t want to spend more then $180

Last edited:
BHJ or the new ATI balancer that comes with the pulley . I’m running a BHJ and have had NO issue with it

Here is my motor with a under dr8ve pulley on the BHJ internal balancer
AC7D2154-7515-4C97-8D3B-5F6855145503.jpeg

Don’t want to spend more then $180
There's no part available in that range--use the stocker . The TA balancer is just a hub thats neutral, it comes with the weight for external apps. The 2 mentioned above are press fit and are quality pieces at a price.

In that price range I think you’ll have to use a stock balancer and flexplate and go with external balancing

Oh shit...

Yeah I don’t want the stock one. It’s not really a harmonic dampener. Well at least a good one.

I’ll have to spend the money. My rotating assembly is internal balance.
I know they make a stock unit works with internal balance but I still don’t want that one.

Thank you guys I appreciate your time and information.
I was being hopeful that someone knew a less expensive option other than the stock unit.

Run the TA one and forget about it.

You can have your stock balancer made into a neutral balance at any machine shop. For probably less than 180 bucks

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RC frequently uses stock flexate and balancer on internall balances engines.

He modifies them by making all the cutouts in the flexplate round and removing the weights in the stock balancer and then making sure they’re neutral balanced.

He offered to do it on mine but the BHJ is the better option if you can afford it.

I'll end up spending the money on a bhj or ati.

I'm not going to use the stock type. I don't think It's a good harmonic dampener.

I'm used to small block Chevys. You could get a decent harmonic dampener for around 150.

The options are limited with these turbo Buicks.

I'm not going to use the stock type. I don't think It's a good harmonic dampener.

I'm used to small block Chevys. You could get a decent harmonic dampener for around 150.

For every part on the Chevy just multiply it by 400% and you have the cost for the Buick

For every part on the Chevy just multiply it by 400% and you have the cost for the Buick

Haha yes you are right!
Sadly I already started swimming across the lake now I got to finish it.

Buick are fun to ride tho.
Like a fine hooker.
if you want to play you gotta pay.

"street car", "don't need SFI", don't want spend money. I know of at least 3 10 second cars running the stock style damper. Have the stocker and flywheel cut or like I said earlier get the TA unit. You are way overthinking this.

Ernie,

Just wondering what rout you ended up going with this? I just received my "internal balance" forged crank and am in the same boat.
I'm thinking a screwed up and should have gotten the external balance instead, but it's too late now. Actually considering just using the stock crank now since the cost has essentially doubled.

Internal balance is much better. Just have the stock flex plate and damper modified. Lots cheaper than aftermarket and RC who's done tons of engines often does it for his customers who need to save money.

Ernie,

Just wondering what rout you ended up going with this? I just received my "internal balance" forged crank and am in the same boat.
I'm thinking a screwed up and should have gotten the external balance instead, but it's too late now. Actually considering just using the stock crank now since the cost has essentially doubled.
don't be so quick to throw in the towel. Your internal balance crank can still be used for external balance. It just means that a little more metal has to be removed from the throws. Once you bolt on the pan you will never know the difference. Or you can just have your stock balancer and flywheel neutral balanced. Either way its best to end up with a steel forged crank over the cast iron stocker. I have done dozens of forged crank internal balance engines with neutral balance stock parts. Its just not a big deal. Saves a LOT of money in the long run and if you never open the hood no one will ever know!!............RC

Ernie,

Remember,
An "internal Balance" crankshaft doesn't come balanced. The rest of the rotating assembly has to be weighed and balanced and then bob weights of the same weight are put on the crankshaft and it is spin balanced like a tire balancer but instead of adding weights holes are drilled in the bob weights to remove weight. Sometimes weight needs to be added but not usually.