HC failures

turbolou

Lou's Automotive 949-378-1590
One of the problems I have been fighting trying to get cars to pass HC is when the car is being tested is at least 180 degrees it's enough of a difference between passing & failing if the operator doesn't use his cooling fan & allows the car to get good & warm. Request that he doesn't use it. Of course this also depends if the car is set up properly for the test & no other problems exist. Also be sure its entered in the system as a GN not a Regal. The H.C. standards are more liberal for a GN . 110 ppm vs 70 for a Regal.

Back when we had to deal with emissions in CT I would keep the car at 2000-2500rpm up until the test was performed and requested that the operator didn't let it cool off before testing and I would run off the ignition coil base timing and they would always go through with almost nothing. I got 0 HC and 0.00% CO more than once. Also I rigged the factory EGR to be open just enough to make the car idle clean and drop the cylinder temp. NOx was always low too. The key component was always a good factory catalytic converter. A good hot factory catalyst worked every time

BPE2013@hotmail.com

My smog report shows a max HC of 120 allowed. Is there differences in different areas of CA ?

My smog report shows a max HC of 120 allowed. Is there differences in different areas of CA ?
It used to be that there were non attainment areas that the laws were less strict. Since I haven't been involved with the program in years can't be sure how to answer that.

It used to be that there were non attainment areas that the laws were less strict. Since I haven't been involved with the program in years can't be sure how to answer that.

Here's a shot of my pretest. I am not in an enhanced area.
photo(3).JPG

Where do live here in my area 110 HC is the max unless its a regal then its 70 anyways you have a gross polluter. Does this thing even have a working Cat to be running that dirty ?