Header Flanges

ek02

Jan 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
I worked on the passenger side today. Welded in the merge bullets and tacked the collector on. I'll finish the welding tomorrow, then work on the slip connector and street hookup to the stainless exhaust system I built two years ago. It has dumps that exit on both sides with bolt on flange plates, then into a 3" single exhaust system. The drivers side is harder due to the steering box being in the way.

IMG_2780.jpg

Last edited:

ek02

Jan 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
Passenger side done. I'll start on the drivers side first week in December if time permits. Just realized that these flange port openings are too tall to work with iron heads. My GN1's will seal ok, but the iron heads on my spare engine will leak at the bottom of the flange. I will have to build up some weld at the bottom and grind and resurface on the belt sander.
IMG_2784.jpg

Last edited:

ek02

Jan 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
It turns out these flanges are for old odd fire low port heads. I should have gone with the TA flanges. I can still use them but will have to Tig weld them on the outside of the flange so I can match them to the ports with no leaks from cracked welds on the head side.

ek02

Jan 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
TA flanges it is. Too hard to weld a 3/8" flange to the thin tubes. They came out looking bad. Easy enough to cut the pipes off the flange and weld them to the TA flanges.