Heads up on Autozone duralast ignition coils

whitehot1

I recently bought one and was having some random problems while driving; things like when coming to a stop the engine would cut off completely but i could start it back up without a problem,while driving down the road the engine would cutoff momentarily but stay running, a noticeable miss while driving.

I have used the Autozone duralast coils before without any problems and they measured correctly 11K -13K but it has been quite a few years. The coils Autozone is selling now has a lower secondary resistance than what they used to have or what our cars need.As we know 11K - 13K ohms is what we look for when testing the coil. The coil that autozone sells now has the secondary resistance of 6K - 12.5K mine was reading 8.2K on all 3 pairs.

I normally check the coil before installing them but i can't remember if i did this one or not,so i don't know if it was in the 11K ohm range and dropped down to 8.2 ohms on all 3 coil pairs but thats what it was reading. When i took the coil back to autozone and they tested it and also tested a new one and it read the same 8.2 ohms.

If you have a coil from any auto parts stores i would check them to see if they are the correct 11K- 13K ohms for our cars.

I opted for a cash refund which they did without any problem.

Duralast/Coil - Ignition (C860) | Coil - Ignition | 1986 Buick Regal 6 Cylinders 7 3.8L SFI OHV Turbo | AutoZone.com

Ain't China junk great.
Use a type II innition setup & individual coils are easy to find.

Oreilly's got the right parts.

when i recently needed one, i went in to one.

they do carry a magnavox ignition module and BWD coil which is(they said) also magnavox.

now i did test them, but if they turn out im sure that would be a excellent source other than hunting down delco parts.

I also have a bad Autozone coil pak with only 8.4 ohms. I am going back for a refund on Monday and just ordered an AC. Brad

I also have a bad Autozone coil pak with only 8.4 ohms. I am going back for a refund on Monday and just ordered an AC. Brad

Autozone didn't use to test the coils but they do now and the specs for their coils are from 6K to 12.5K ohms.

When they tested my coil at first they tried to tell me it was good and all they could do was replace it for me, but i showed them the receipt and it says on it that they will replace the coil or give a refund, so don't let them try to talk you out of the refund.

I bought a spare coil from O'Reilleys it's an BWD brand and i put it on the car to test it and it works good, i still have it on there right now with a few hundred miles on it. I would recommend one of these if you can't get the AC Delco locally.

Autozone didn't use to test the coils but they do now and the specs for their coils are from 6K to 12.5K ohms.

When they tested my coil at first they tried to tell me it was good and all they could do was replace it for me, but i showed them the receipt and it says on it that they will replace the coil or give a refund, so don't let them try to talk you out of the refund.

I bought a spare coil from O'Reilleys it's an BWD brand and i put it on the car to test it and it works good, i still have it on there right now with a few hundred miles on it. I would recommend one of these if you can't get the AC Delco locally.

Thanks- I called Chey dealer and they want $175. NOS4GN was $99 for AC. Ordered and will get it on Tue since they are local. Brad

Good choice on NOS4GN. That's where I get all my parts. Glen will do you right. Like I always say, Keep your GM all GM if you can.

I never tested mine but i did put an autozone one on my car,it runs great and i havnt had any running problems.

Mine did too for a while until the gremlins started acting up causing the engine to miss sometimes,engine to cutoff momentarily and then stay running,cutoff completely while sitting at a stop light/sign but would start back up with no problem when i turned the key. ;)

It's possible you got a good one though, their test range for the coils to be called good is 6K - 12.5K ohms.

I have used alot of Autozone parts in the past on my turbo regals without any problems,TPS,IAC,coils,ignition modules,etc. but who ever they get their parts from now has a lower standard it seems for quality.

I have removed all their parts and and the car is running great now.:D

Less resistance (ohms) can be from larger diameter wire in the secondary windings, or less number of turns in the windings (less wire). My vote is they are using less wire.

Less resistance (ohms) can be from larger diameter wire in the secondary windings, or less number of turns in the windings (less wire). My vote is they are using less wire.

I have no idea what it is they are doing in the way of manufacturing the coils,but what i do know is the engine didn't run well with the lower resistance numbers of the Autozone coil.

I didn't go directly to the coil as being the problem with my car running bad like it was since i had recently put the new coil on the car. But after checking everything i could think of that could be the problem,i decided just out of curiosity to check the coil resistance and the lower numbers just didn't look right when i did.

I now have 2 sets of coil packs with ignition modules mounted to them that i know is good. One is the Accel super coil and the other is the BWD from O'Reilly's. I've been using the BWD on the car for a few hundred miles to ensure it was going to be ok, i switched back to the Accel coil last night and drove for 30 miles to check it out and all was good. I'll leave that coil on now and keep the BWD coil as the spare.

Testing of the coils on the engine is from what i've experienced the only real way of knowing if they are going to work or not and hold up.

Final Note- I got my brand new(made in CHINA) AC Delco coil pak today. Ohmmed out at 11.9 accross each coil. Brad

nothing on the car is directly connected to those posts. (unless someting is FUBAR in the coil) if it reads 11.9 off the car that's what it will read on the car.

My car was dieing out at stop lights. I checked the coil on the car and all coils read 10.8k ohms. I replaced the coil pack and then checked it off of the car. They all read about 11.2. Car has never died out with the new coil pack, which reads in the 11k range on the car. I'm not trying to explain anything, just reporting my findings.