****help need to find a tech in the south bay****

87grandnationalss

Hi team,

I just purchased my first grand national. 1987 buick grand national. But i am having issues. I am looking for the right mechanic in the south bay near san jose. Any recommendations??? Thank you

post it up what issues?
Hello, yea no problem, i just got the car, its been sitting for about 8 years. It turns on and i can rev it.

The first strange thing I noticed is the boost gauge on the cluster is full boost. Even before i turn it on???

It turns right on, revs good, i put it in drive and try to accelerate but its hesitating??? 0-35mph. I stop after that and bring it back home. I dont want to hurt the engine.

Previous owner said the engine is healthy but had an issue with something on the turbo were it would get stuck and he would have to play with it for a few and it would get un stuck for a week or soo?? Not sure what he was talking about.

Any good shops in the bay area with grand national experience??

Thanks

take the intake pipe off the turbo inlet and move the fins up down in out if it hits the housing and a lot of play you might need turbo rebuild or upgrade.

OP- I may be able to help you out, but I'm in the East Bay, so we'd have to schedule a time to meet and take a look at your car.

If you don't have a scanmaster, I can bring one to use...I actually just bought Marcus's since I needed it on a local customer's car.

When you say the car "hesitates" what exactly do you mean? Does it make any noises while you're accelerating? Can you move the wastegate puck on the downpipe easily?

I'm down here until Monday, but if you're free I could maybe stay another day or two and come by your place to take a look. If anything we could rule out some potential issues. I could bring the scanmaster to see if you're throwing any codes, and a new wastegate actuator and aftermarket boost controller w/ some new vacuum hoses.

I have almost all my tools with me, so if anything needed to be worked on, now would be the perfect time.

Hit me up tonight or tomorrow whenever. I'll be working on a local dude's car installing a wideband, boost controller/gauge, and then tuning the car tomorrow as well. My number is 707 362 6030.

-Tyler

Scanmaster numbers? start here Vortex Buicks.com. Not to many good GN guys.in the bay area.

Gee, thanks Marcus...

OP- I may be able to help you out, but I'm in the East Bay, so we'd have to schedule a time to meet and take a look at your car.

If you don't have a scanmaster, I can bring one to use...I actually just bought Marcus's since I needed it on a local customer's car.

When you say the car "hesitates" what exactly do you mean? Does it make any noises while you're accelerating? Can you move the wastegate puck on the downpipe easily?

I'm down here until Monday, but if you're free I could maybe stay another day or two and come by your place to take a look. If anything we could rule out some potential issues. I could bring the scanmaster to see if you're throwing any codes, and a new wastegate actuator and aftermarket boost controller w/ some new vacuum hoses.

I have almost all my tools with me, so if anything needed to be worked on, now would be the perfect time.

Hit me up tonight or tomorrow whenever. I'll be working on a local dude's car installing a wideband, boost controller/gauge, and then tuning the car tomorrow as well. My number is 707 362 6030.

-Tyler

Gee, thanks Marcus...
Not trying to be a dick, but there is not a GN guy that can help you with out that. Sometimes it's a lil thing that a simple number on the scanmaster can lead you on to the fix but what do I know, I'm just an original owner. Good luck call Tyler and you can hook my old scanmaster.

Not trying to be a dick, but there is not a GN guy that can help you with out that. Sometimes it's a lil thing that a simple number on the scanmaster can lead you on to the fix but what do I know, I'm just an original owner. Good luck call Tyler and you can hook my old scanmaster.

You're right. I spoke to him and I haven't an idea what it could be.

You can call Rob in Pinole 510-377-0342 he can help you out also.

X2. Rob is smart as fawk. Shit, I'd prolly call him for help.

Well, nobody has said it, so I will.

If you don't want to have marleyskater or dankGN and you don't want to have the guy THEY recommend look the car over, there's always Turbolou in Irvine (Lake Forest).

He knows these cars inside and out. He ends up fixing a lot of other peoples "fixes".

The guys above that are closer to you should be you're first pick, they are good at what they do, they are straight up, they are honest and they won't steer you wrong.

The ball is in your court now.

Good luck to you sir, hope to see you AND the car at Bates!

Thats what I did.
fae44219b0006cffc70839fa74b31354.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thats what I did.
fae44219b0006cffc70839fa74b31354.jpg

You are happy, no?

See my sig.

Lou's going to put together a new power plant for me when Mike at T/A finishes my new heads. I still think the OP should try the guys closer to him, even though I haul my car 450 miles each way to get go fast stuff done. :cool:

Being from Phoenix, AZ, I actually look forward to the trips to the cool, close to the beach Turbolou's place . I'm old and need to fill up my weekends. I bet the OP doesn't have that kind of spare time......

Last edited:
Best thing I ever did was haul my car down to Lou. I got my car running tight and got to know a really cool dude.