help with win xp and wireless

VIN7

I am running win xp pro and trying to connect to the school's wireless network using a netgear wireless usb adapter. I am having problems with connecting to the network. I have a laptop running xp pro and a 3com wireless card, connect no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

i know at my college you have to give them your laptop so they can configure it...they have to set up an account and give you an identity with a password and set the access points up to recognize your MAC address on your card....maybe that will give you a clue to why it does not work

What OS does the school run? If the school is running a Win2k network then perhaps they are running an RRAS server. As Fireberd indicated this would require you to have an account set up as well as a password. Are you configured for DHCP?

Ok, I need to clarify, with the laptop I run win xp pro and 3com wireless card, when I power up, the network assigns an ip address to the wireless connection. It runs fine.

On the pc, which is right beside the laptop I run win xp pro with an usb wireless adapter, now when I power up I have to click on the wireless connection icon and click refresh 3-4 times to get the network to connect and issue the ip address. It seems to be a problem with win xp pro and the netgear usb adapter. Tech at both microsoft and netgear point at each other and say its their problem, which doesn't fix the situation for me. I was wondering if anyone knew of a work around using this os and netgear usb adapter.

Thanks,
Mike

If you're using XP pro, you may have to let them configure it. Xp pro needs an administrative account to put the computer on a network. One way to go around it is to put it in a workgroup with your networks name in the work group field. This will hopefully give you internet access, you will be asked for a username and password if you want to access items on one of their servers

You have confirmed that the correct adapter has been configured on the PC? If so, bring up a command promt and type ipconfig/all on both the PC and the laptop and post what you get. Lets compare and see what tcp/ip tells us.