Here Is The Official Manual Trans Thread!

MENTL231

Enough Searching For The Half Ass Posts.!! Lets Make This The Official One With All The Right Facts And Info!!

I Just Had My Car Ready For The Track And The 3rd Tranny Blew!!

Now I'm Not Nice To My Trannys And They Were All Used So I Don't Want You To Think It Was Some 1,200 Dollar Trannys Getting Ruined.

I Want To Try A 6 Spd. I Know Its Gonna Be A Bit Pricey But The Real Question Is... Will It Work??

It May Be A Little Slower, It May Be Inconsistant, But It Will Be Fun!

Now, I Believe That The Car Will Work With A Manual Tranny Using A Blow Off Valve To Keep The Turbo Spooled.. And To Drag Race You Will Most Likely Need A 2 Step To Spool The Turbo. Now My Question Is How About The Gear Ratio's? The Auto Will For The Most Part Keep The Car Closer To Its Powerband Through Shifts, But Will The Slightly Widespread Gear Ratio's In A 6 Speed Affect The Performance That Much. And Will It Be Affected Because These Motors Don't Rev High???

The Mechanical Aspect Of The Install Is Simple. Bpo 4 Spd Bell Housing, Manual Clutch Setup, G-body Pedals, Slightly Modified Crossmember, Etc..

Once Again, Will It Work And Will It Be Worth It?? Will The Performance Of The Car Be Affected That Much On The Track. Will The Street Performance And Enjoyability Be Improved Enough To Overcome The Slight Performance Issue If Any???

Discuss!!!

Well To Answer Your Question. My Goal Is Low Tens!! My Engine Combo Is A 109 Block .20 Over With Forged Diamond Pistons, Champion Alum. Heads, Billet Roller Cam, Ported Intake, 70mm Tb, Rjc Race Plate, T-66, 60 Lb Injectors, Cottons Front Mount, Etc. My Next Step To Get Me There Is Alky!! Buy I Can't Do A Thing Until The Tranny Situation Is Fixed.. And I'm Pretty Sure The Engine Combo Is Good For A Mid Ten, But If A 6 Speed Puts Me In The High Ten Low Eleven Catagory I Don't Care, It Will Be More Fun!!!

I understand the fun factor. I have a twin turbo stealth, and the manual tranny makes it sort of fun (sometimes).

A BOV won't keep the boost during the shift, but it will make the turbo last longer.

Drag racing with the 6 speed is a different animal, but if you can power shift well, you should do fine.

Watching this thread!

Bob

I understand the fun factor. I have a twin turbo stealth, and the manual tranny makes it sort of fun (sometimes).

A BOV won't keep the boost during the shift, but it will make the turbo last longer.

Drag racing with the 6 speed is a different animal, but if you can power shift well, you should do fine.

Watching this thread!

Bob

WHY WOULDN'T THE BOV HELP KEEP THE TURBO SPINNING A MILLION RPM'S?
I CAN ONLY PICTURE IT RELEASING THE INTAKE CHARGE AND SPINNING FREE WHEN THE BOV IS OPEN AND ONCE THE THROTTLE PLATE OPENS BACK UP THE CHARGE IS RIGHT THERE!!! NO??

Use the search function. This has been discussed umteen times now.

Enough Searching For The Half Ass Posts.!! Lets Make This The Official One With All The Right Facts And Info!!

THE LAST 3 SEARCHES I DID SAID " USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION".

I THINK I'M JUST GONNA HAVE TO BE THE FIRST ONE TO TRY IT!!! MY PLAN IS TO GET A BUICK PONTIAC OLDS, STYLE BELL HOUSING, MAKE AN ADAPTER PLATE TO BOLT THE SIX SPEED TO IT, USE A MANUAL CLUTCH SETUP, MAY HAVE TO MODIFY THE CLUTCH FORK, 4 SPEED STYLE CLUTCHES, TUBULAR CROSSMEMBER, NEW SHAFT, AND G BODY PEDALS. AND WHO MAKES A GOOD BLOW OFF VALVE??

There are probably less than a handful of people who have successfully performed the swap. Calling the previous posts half assed posts from those who have the experience will most likely fail to get a response. Information is free if you ask for it politely. Good luck.

WHY WOULDN'T THE BOV HELP KEEP THE TURBO SPINNING A MILLION RPM'S?
I CAN ONLY PICTURE IT RELEASING THE INTAKE CHARGE AND SPINNING FREE WHEN THE BOV IS OPEN AND ONCE THE THROTTLE PLATE OPENS BACK UP THE CHARGE IS RIGHT THERE!!! NO??

The BOV helps, but the turbo decelerates because the throttle is closed and the exhaust volume goes to ~almost nothing. You need to re-spool after the shift. If the RPMs are high enough, the spool will happen pretty fast.

If you powershift there will be no respool. This takes some real skills tho.....

Launching is tricky without a 2-step.

Bob

What if the exhaust from the BOV were re-routed to the intake tract (after the MAF) instead of being vented to the atmosphere. Would this help to keep the boost re-circulated??

There are probably less than a handful of people who have successfully performed the swap. Calling the previous posts half assed posts from those who have the experience will most likely fail to get a response. Information is free if you ask for it politely. Good luck.

I'M NOT PUTTING THE OTHER THREADS DOWN, ITS JUST THE FEW THAT CAME UP IN THE SEARCH REALLY DIDN'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY USEFULL INFO! IF SOMEONE CAN POST A LINK TO A THREAD WITH SOME DO'S AND DON'TS THAT WOULD BE GREAT!! I'M REALLY IN A DILEMA HERE AND I'M WONDERING IF I'M WASTING MY TIME PRAYING A STICK WILL WORK!!! OR DO I JUST SPEND THE MONEY ON A GOOD 200 AUTO??

Call Brian Hofer.

He can build it (200) ....and at a fair price w/ excellent support.

Go with the 5 speed if you enjoy being eaten up by Jeep Cherokees.

Ive got a T-56 out of a 97 F-body. It will be $1700 when freshened with synchros, billet keys, a nodular iron 3-4 fork, and the other serviceable small parts. I dont have a bellhousing at this time though. PM me if interested.

Hey Lee :) Ditto

One of the reason Lee made the "search" comment was because... this topic had been beaten to death in the past, and is often revisited by bench racers and trolls looking to stir it up. Not one actually tried the swap, and reported their findings. The topic just turned into heresay, woulda, coulda, shoulda, mud slinging and such.
The ones who had done the swap, just got tired of reposting the same info over and over again.
If you are serious...take the time to go over those posts and weed through the BS. All the info is there.

Paul

I think if you rev your engine higher than the typical Buick Turbo V6 and get a turbo that spools up quick, maybe something smaller than what you have or something with ball bearings it should work just fine. It might also help to get a camshaft that favors higher rpm horsepower. If Supras and Porshe 911's can be fast with a stick shift, why not a Buick? If you can get your car in the 10's with a stick shift I'll put one in my Impala.

I have no experience with this but the new Evos, STi's and Mazda Speeds are turbos and sticks and getting very fast. How about a Richmond 5speed? I went up against a 71 Z28 that had one of those and it flew. Of course with any manual, driver skills would be a huge factor. As far as turbo spooling would going twin turbo with lower boost make any difference?

There are a lot of Impala SS owners that have swapped to a T56.
One of the guys on ImpalaSSForum.com sells a complete kit to do the swap.
The same kit would probably work relatively well in a GN.
The other alternative would be to find the clutch linkages that came in early 80's Malibus, they would probably bolt right into the GN.