Hood and Trunk weights

TylerDurden

Jack's Smirking Revenge
i noticed reading on the zerotosixty web site that the rear deck lid weighs 60 lbs and the hood weighs 55 lbs.....does this sound correct? i would think the trunk lid would be significantly lighter than the hood...and it would seem the hood should weigh a lot more than 55 lbs....i recently replaced my DEAD hood supports (shocks) so i know how heavy it feels still being supoorted by the hinges....

so does anyone know exactly how much these two things weigh?

TIA
Dan

I have no facts but...

...just look at the differance in areas no way the hood weighs less then the trunk.

Black Sabbath

Wonder if they're taking into account removing the trunk torsion bars (since this is necessary w/a fiberglass trunk lid). If so, that may be the difference..

Have you ever lifted each seperately?

The trunk lid is noticeably heavier than the hood. The turbo hoods have less "bracing" than normal G-body hoods. You'd need to remove your insulator pad (like me) to know this.

I will be weighing these items to compare to my new 'glass parts in a few weeks. Email me around then if you want a definitive answer to this question.

HTH,

Originally posted by TylerDurden
i noticed reading on the zerotosixty web site that the rear deck lid weighs 60 lbs and the hood weighs 55 lbs.....does this sound correct?
Yes

Fiberglass hood weight savings

Anyone know what a stock hood weighs vs a fiberglass bolt on one? And the truck lids also? I've searched and can't seem to find it. There are alot of opinions for using a FG vs a stock though.

Thanks, Paul

found this a while back , forgot where it came from

------------------------
Weight savings:
=======================
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN PURCHASING AFTER MARKET EQUIPMENT. SOME PARTS MAY BE HEAVIER THEN OEM EQUIPMENT. For example, I bought some aftermarket OEM rotors that were 1lb heavier then my stock rotors. IF you are concerned about weight, ask the weight before you buy.
=======================
front bumper reinforcement (87 GN only):
steel = 64.5; aluminum = 45.8; savings = 18.7 lbs
Bumper Export Braces:
(export brace replaces inner bumpers support)
Chrome steel bumper with small steel export brace, no lights installed = 33.5 LBS
Front steel chrom bumper with only the export brace attachments, minus the center piece, no bumperettes, but does have the full length black strip = 26.5 LBS
rear bumper reinforcement (87 GN only):
steel = 69.5; aluminum = 48; savings = 21.5 lbs
rear brake drums:
steel = 10 lbs; aluminum = 5 lbs; total savings =10 lbs
front sway bar:
stock solid = 30 lbs; 1LE F-body hollow 20 lbs = ; savings = 10 lbs
front rotors:
stock 17.5 lbs = ; aftermarket @9.5 lbs (SSBC) = ; total savings = 17 lbs
front calipers:
stock = 6.75 lbs; aftermarket = @3.25 lbs (SSBC); total savings = 7 lbs
aluminum radiator support:
steel = 30; aluminum = 13; savings = 17lbs
door crash bars:
savings = 38 lbs
sound deadening material underneath and behind rear seat:
savings = 10 lbs
RJC pulley set:
stock = 10.5 lbs ; RJC = 3 lbs; savings = 7.5 lbs
Rims:
steel = 29 lbs; aluminum = @19 lbs (depends); total savings = 40 lbs
Centerline Auto Drags
15x10= 19lbs
15x8= 17lbs
Spare tire:
35 lbs
Jack:
15 lbs
Mini starter:
stock = 18.5 lbs; mini = @8.5 lbs (turbobuicks.com); savings = 10 lbs
Fiberglass hood:
stock = 55 lbs; fiberglass = 28 lbs; savings = 27 lbs
Fiberglass decklid:
stock = 60 lbs ; fiberglass = 23 lbs; savings = 37 lbs
a-arms
stock = 9.5lbs ea ; aftermarket tubular (UB Machine) = 4.5 lbs ea; total savings = 10 lbs
AC Compressor: 14 1/2 lbs
Core: 6 lbs
Lines: 3 1/2 lbs
Condenser Can: 1 lb
25 lbs total weight loss.
Stock IC with duttweiller neck: 15 1/2 lbs
Dequick V2 front mount, no pipes: 28 lbs
Conveters:
Precision 9.5 lock up (one quart fluid in it)= 37 lbs
Precision 9.5 non lock up (one quart fluid)= 29 lbs
Stock D5=41 pounds dry
9/11 convertor = 36 LBS DRY

other things and still appear totally stock
HP plastic headlamps
eliminate cruise if you have it ,
remove insulation on qtrpanels, behind trim
seat belts -eliminate rears , get front shortened and fixed to pilar mount for you and eliminate tensioner /retractor assemblies
drain washer fluid bucket (remove wiper motor and arms for track use)
remove rear veiw mirroe and passenger visor (dont worry once they get behind you thats where they'll stay )

Originally posted by Mr. T
Have you ever lifted each seperately?

The trunk lid is noticeably heavier than the hood. The turbo hoods have less "bracing" than normal G-body hoods. You'd need to remove your insulator pad (like me) to know this.

I will be weighing these items to compare to my new 'glass parts in a few weeks. Email me around then if you want a definitive answer to this question.

HTH,
Did you ever figure out the difference?

Thanks, Paul

i have a couple questions though. 1- the 1LE sway bar will bolt up to my 87 GN? #2 what cars came with the aluminum front and rear bumper braces? and also the rad support- i wanna put my GN on a diet im trying to make her a little lighter- does anyone have a webpage showing vehical weights? thanks!!
Andrew

There is a thread like that on t6p, I sent a bunch of those weight items to it. Those numbers sound correct.

I have the fiber trunk and hood and the hood needed one stock shock and one fiberglass. Both fiber glass shocks would not lift it up enough for some reason so the fact that is shows the trunk losing more weight seems right to me. The trunk needed some massive adjustments otherwise it would knock some teeth loose when opening, its light.