You can type here any text you want

hooking up a 275 tire

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nolanator

@none_more_black
Does anyone here have a proven suspension setup that will hook up a 275 tire. After searching around, and consulting with friends who own or have owned G body cars, it looks like this could be an issue, but I wanted to see what others are doing, before I start notching the frame and going crazy.

I have 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET drag radials on the stock rim. Get a little rub on the frame now and then. Each car sits differently on the frame. I am actually looking at going with the 255/60/15 drag radial , plenty of cars faster than mine that use them ...

Bryan

I have 275/50/15 Mickey DRs on GN steelies and hooks just fine! No rub, every car is different like Phoneguy said before, and it hooked fine with my stock suspension and should even better with the new rear suspension that's about to go in. Good luck.

There are buicks in the low 8s, high 7s running a 275 drag radial. I think you need to talk to some different people.

I run the 255s on my car and they hook just fine. You don't need a 275 to get it done.

255's have been low 1.5's on a stock suspension (read: Stock arms, stock springs, stock sway bar, no air bag), I think Patrick from NC has gone 1.4's on them but don't know his suspension setup.

275 Pro's have been 1.2x's on race cars

Don't know how fast regular 275's have been but I have seen low 1.4 time slips on not a very radical car (bolt on control arms, HR Bar, footbrake).

I've been 1.41 on a 275 pro myself and don't think I'm done yet. 8" wheel too.

So basically if someone says you can't hook a 275 they don't know how.

Be prepared for uneven tire wear if you're running stock rims. I just ordered 255 Radial T/A's for the Limited I'm preparing to sell. Less headaches for me and the new owner.

Does anyone here have a proven suspension setup that will hook up a 275 tire. After searching around, and consulting with friends who own or have owned G body cars, it looks like this could be an issue, but I wanted to see what others are doing, before I start notching the frame and going crazy.
hooking on the track or street?as you can see from the posts above the devoted can just about get anything to hook(y)my take is it depends on the combo weight,ramp in boost,timing,suspension,etc and most of the time its just easier to go faster on a bigger tire.

Nolanator if you are talking about the car you just bought and you will be on the street mostly and strip some as well here is what I recommend.

You can run a 255/60/15 MT ET Street and it hooks as I have stated. Look at all the bushings on the car. If it is the stock stuff, change all of them out with polyurethane bushings. You will feel the difference, even with all stock suspension. Look at the shocks and rear springs as well. If they are worn out replace them. Bilsteins are the best out there. A front and rear set will cost you about $320. You can get variable rate springs from a number of vendors on here.

I would look at HR Parts for their reat set up. They make a kit that includes their rear sway bar, 1/4 inch longer lower control arms and single adjustable upper control arms. That will get you into the high 10s with their kit and your 60 foot times( the most important part ) down to the 1.4s if you want to get that quick.

For the fronts you can go with DSE, Hotchkis,Spohn or Global West.

You can make a Buick into a street/strip good handling car or you can turn into a slot car. It just depends on what you want to do.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. The car will primarily be a street car. I occasionally make it out to the track, but not often enough to build my car around the few times I am there. I will most likely (just because the car will allow me) be running a 15x8 rear wheel with 3.75-4" backspacing and a 275/60/15 tire. I will check in with some of the vendors on here as well to get some suspension advice. I believe the car has some generic KYB shocks as well as airbags (which I don't understand) so i'll have to look into what I need.

I run the 275 street pros by MT 1.41 on the tire and 1.31-1.36 on 28 slicks, I know a lot of people do better then that .Jason and Steve run the Hoosers with better luck then the Pros .The ET Streets did not work at all for me .I run the Baseline suspension. Only 2 people at BG last year running TSM ran slicks everyone else was running street radials

My daily driven Gn cut a 1.58 with an American Racer ( old MCreary) dirt track tire 295/50/15 with original South Side Machine lowers and Metco uppers. A 1.51 with 26 x 11.5 Mt ET streets. The frame had to have some work done to it because the South Sides oblonged some holes ( the car kept launching to the right) and with a new set of American Racers, it was down in the 1.52 range. I have ever heard the term that you can make a g body hook in a car wash. I do have 2 air bags in the rear for rub prevention. You may have been slightly misinformed about g bodys hooking a 275. I dont even have them yet and I know my times will improve. I just have to figure out the brand now.

I ran the 255s on a 7" rim and they worked fine. I now have 8" rims and stepped up to the 275. The 275 on a 7" rim will bulge out and rub (at least on my car it did). Other than the tires you need everything in good shape. Personally I prefer H&R rear suspension parts. I have found them stout and fit perfect.

As in everything, it depends on goals and budget. A very knowledgeable and proven G-body racer on this and other forums steered me to TRZ Motorsports. Tons of experience in making G-body's hook on a drag radial and flying ass cars. That's where I'll be getting my suspension setup from.

Back