How many Alky pump failures have you had

turbo89

All Alky users.. trying to put some numbers to this topic

Please post if you've had a failure.. and a guess of how long you've used the pump before the failure

Thx!!!

All Alky users.. trying to put some numbers to this topic

Please post if you've had a failure.. and a guess of how long you've used the pump before the failure

Thx!!!
I have never had one straight up fail.whats happens is they will leak over time and start dropping pressure/or slower to build pressure.i run 100% meth with high pressures so I stay on top of them and have multiple pumps.on less meth/dependent combos where the requirments are less you can go longer between rebuilds.sitting over time wears them down much quicker.

Yes, that's been my experience. Julios test kit is an excellent way to see how the pump is doing as well a find leaks. Leaks seem to be the first thing me and friends have experienced. Then it's time to send it back if newer or replace if it's old.

Had a newer one leak after a year or so and was sent for a rebuild. Recently had one that I got as an off the shelf rebuild from a local shop about 2 years ago. The pump was running, but stopped pumping unless the tank was pressurized. This caused a valve seat to drop and chewed up two pistons. After inspection by Julio turns out the pump was almost 10 years old. Best practice seems to be have two newer pumps and every year or two send them out for inspection/rebuilds as needed.

Last edited:
Last placed I lived, several of us had our alky pumps start to go out. Turns out the methanol race fuelsupplier we all used had one pump for all the fuels and the meth was contaminated from him using the pump in multiple barrels of leaded and unleaded fuels plus the methanol. The bad meth killed the pump diaphram. Caused me a a headgasket!!

Last edited:
No complete failures here. Just a little leakage. When that happens, send it in, and throw on the spare.

I spool it on the transbrake a bit every now and then. My pump is in the rear under the car. My girlfriend swipes her finger over the pump head after I lift. If it's wet, the pump comes off.

How much does a spare pump cost?

How much does a rebuild cost?

Is it possible to install a pressure tap at the nozzle that operates a monitoring gauge inside the car?

If you have a trunk mounted tank & rear mounted pump, how long does it take to reach full pressure at the nozzle?

Thanks.

I'm on my third pump. Seems the later pumps last longer. Now that I said you know what's going to happen.

10 years, Razor's kit 1 pump rebuild due to leak. Never any other issue......always have run straight Meth. Fresh rebuild sitting in box on shelf.

Last edited:
How much does a spare pump cost?

How much does a rebuild cost?

Is it possible to install a pressure tap at the nozzle that operates a monitoring gauge inside the car?

If you have a trunk mounted tank & rear mounted pump, how long does it take to reach full pressure at the nozzle?

Thanks.
Please don't think an alky set-up needs to be this complex, but..............................

I have a 2 nozzle set-up with a rear mounted pump and tank. My kit was made up by Julio after speaking with him about my needs. With my kit, I was given a one-way check valve and a filter. The line coming from my pump goes up to the engine compartment. On the firewall, I mounted the filter and check valve and that feeds into a home made alky manifold (small section of brass pipe tapped for a few fittings). At the manifold, I feed the 2 lines that lead to the nozzles. I also have a pressure gauge for test button checks, and a pressure transducer for logging on the XFI. See photos below.

To answer your question on how long?

It takes a second or 2 For the alky to make pressure or make it to the nozzle when the lines are dry. This is too long, of course. Basically, I believe the stuff vapes out if it's been sitting a while or if the car has been running and not under boost and the engine compartment is hot. But this is why there is a prime/test button. Once the system is primed, from this point the hit is instantaneous.

When you become alcoholic, you get into the habit of using the priming button often. It gives you peace of mind and this is just part of the deal.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 170
  • unspecified (11).jpg
    unspecified (11).jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 157
I would prefer to mount the tank in the trunk.

Do you have any pressure readings from the driver's seat?

I'm thinking the Bison spacer plate/spray bar looks interesting.

Is that your tranny cooler under the trunk?

I ran my Alky control pump for over 6 years and then developed a leak after I decided to put some "grape smell" fuel additive in the alky tank. Yes, I know better now. :cool:

Bought a back up pump, sent the first one back to Julio, who nicely but sternly explained to me what a bone-headed move I had made, and had it rebuilt.

The back up has back up has been on the car for 2 years now and the rebuilt one is sitting on the shelf ready to go when/if needed. I'm actually buying a pump test kit this week.

The only way to positively monitor pump output is to see the actual pressure under operating conditions. I commonly add pressure transducers for this to be displayed on a Scanmaster or a mechanical gauge that is the immediate field of view. I posted a video displaying this on fb recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way to positively monitor pump output is to see the actual pressure under operating conditions. I commonly add pressure transducers for this to be displayed on a Scanmaster or a mechanical gauge that is the immediate field of view. I posted a video displaying this on fb recently

I'd like to see more of your work. Wish you would come up with something better than "Flakebook". Many refuse to use it.

You deserve a real web-site.

I'd like to see more of your work. Wish you would come up with something better than "Flakebook". Many refuse to use it.

You deserve a real web-site.

Someone can save the video and post a link here if they want to. Website in the works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk