How many guys with RPO ZR6 "zone office show car"

HouTX87

Can't find much info on this. Some really old threads. How common is this? 20171016_180448.jpg

That is pretty rare. GM used that code on several model cars slotted for special events, shows, public viewing.

I drove a bunch of those cars.. Known as "brass hats".. Got a new ride every 3000 mi. Had them ordered ahead, so I just swapped at a dealer, and he bought the old car at a discount.
Fun perk.. Drive what you want, just make sure it's loaded.
Don't recall as tho there was a special rpo #.

I drove a bunch of those cars.. Known as "brass hats".. Got a new ride every 3000 mi. Had them ordered ahead, so I just swapped at a dealer, and he bought the old car at a discount.
Fun perk.. Drive what you want, just make sure it's loaded.
Don't recall as tho there was a special rpo #.
"Brass hats"?

"Brass hats"?

Yes. Was a term we used in the organization, {zone offices}, to ID the cars we had assigned to us. All field reps, and most mgmt. personnel were allowed to have a car. Not sure who labelled them such... I had everything from a pickup to a Vette. Sometimes, we drove a vehicle that 1 of the office people wanted to have. We ran the 3k on them, then they bought them thru the dlr.

My 86 Ttype was the district managers car, and was used through out Kansas city as a test driver at dealerships. Was one of the first intercoolsd turbo regals around KC.

Yes. Was a term we used in the organization, {zone offices}, to ID the cars we had assigned to us. All field reps, and most mgmt. personnel were allowed to have a car. Not sure who labelled them such... I had everything from a pickup to a Vette. Sometimes, we drove a vehicle that 1 of the office people wanted to have. We ran the 3k on them, then they bought them thru the dlr.

I remember seeing all the " used Brass Hat " cars lined up outside the plant for sale . You would put your name in for a car you wanted to purchase and if more than one person wanted it , they would draw names . Those cars were priced real cheap , great deal if you got one .

So they were demos basically? But they had to be returned with only 3k miles...? Mine was sold new in connecticut. Built 1/20/87

FWIW, this was "back in the day", when Chevelles, Montes, Impalas Vettes were fun cars. Big block pickups were available. Fun times!

FWIW, this was "back in the day", when Chevelles, Montes, Impalas Vettes were fun cars. Big block pickups were available. Fun times!
Chuck , I didn't know you worked for GM , I started in 83 , and the GN was the only thing good to come out in the 80's .

So they were demos basically? But they had to be returned with only 3k miles...? Mine was sold new in connecticut. Built 1/20/87
Pretty much , I think they only had the cars for 6 months at a time ........ it's been a while . lol
Hourly guys would buy them from the program ( Brass Hats ) real cheap , keep it 6 months and then sell for profit . If you bought a program car the one requirement was to keep it 6 months .

Pretty much , I think they only had the cars for 6 months at a time ........ it's been a while . lol
Hourly guys would buy them from the program ( Brass Hats ) real cheap , keep it 6 months and then sell for profit . If you bought a program car the one requirement was to keep it 6 months .
Glad they didnt trash mine lol.

Chuck , I didn't know you worked for GM , I started in 83 , and the GN was the only thing good to come out in the 80's .

I guess I'm a member of the "older generation", here. Nick M. has me beat by about 2 yrs.
I started in 1970, out of zone 47, Peoria, Il.!o_O
That was back before the emissions bs came in, and all the real engine combos were neutered...:(

I guess I'm a member of the "older generation", here. Nick M. has me beat by about 2 yrs.
I started in 1970, out of zone 47, Peoria, Il.!o_O
That was back before the emissions bs came in, and all the real engine combos were neutered...:(
I started at the AC Delco plant where all the GM electric motors were made , and now at the what was once called Rochester Products where those "famous" Rochester carbs were made ..... now we make fuel injectors & truck manifolds .

Got my invoice and no mention of ZR6. Still nice to have and they didn't charge me because they said some of it was barely legible. Next I'll see about recreating the window sticker. 20171102_183703.jpg