How to mount Cotton's stretch SLIC? Cut pass side IC bracket?

TireFryer

The New Kid
Evening folks and Merry Christmas!
Looking to install a Cotton's stretch SLIC tomorrow but as I'm looking at mounting the IC, I notice that the stock IC sits on portion of the pass side bracket and is also bolted from below. However, with the stretch SLIC, the section of the bracket which supports the bottom of stock IC will interfere (area circled in red)...
How should I resolve this? Cut the bottom of the bracket? Modify in some other manner?
If you have same or similar SLIC installed, please share pics of your install or how you modified the bracket.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181225_211737.jpg
    20181225_211737.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
Not sure about cottons but most SLIC have their own passenger side mount that doesn’t attach to the bottom because the bottom on the stretch units is much lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only one I see on Cottons site is the precision unit that has its own passenger side bracket. You can’t use the stock passenger side mount on the precision unit

The only one I see on Cottons site is the precision unit that has its own passenger side bracket. You can’t use the stock passenger side mount on the precision unit

It's an older Cotton's stretch SLIC so not sure it's the same as the current Precision stretch SLIC

Evening folks and Merry Christmas!
Looking to install a Cotton's stretch SLIC tomorrow but as I'm looking at mounting the IC, I notice that the stock IC sits on portion of the pass side bracket and is also bolted from below. However, with the stretch SLIC, the section of the bracket which supports the bottom of stock IC will interfere (area circled in red)...
How should I resolve this? Cut the bottom of the bracket? Modify in some other manner?
If you have same or similar SLIC installed, please share pics of your install or how you modified the bracket.
Thanks.

Good score on the Cotton's SLIC. I have an old Mease SLIC that mounts the same way.

You will re-use the two side holes but not the one on on the bottom, obviously. Cut out the bottom of the bracket enough to drop the stretched SLIC down through the bracket.

I wish I had a measurement on how much to cut out, but you can measure from the center of the side hole to the back of the I/C and take out a 1/4" more for clearance.

Before removing the stock I/C, make a reference mark on the bottom part of the bracket parallel with the I/C as the bracket mounts at an angle.

You might be able to do an ok job with a saws-all without removing the bracket, however, it will definitely be worth the effort to remove the bracket to cut, file and paint it.

Hopefully these photos will give you some ideas.

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

Good score on the Cotton's SLIC. I have an old Mease SLIC that mounts the same way.

You will re-use the two side holes but not the one on on the bottom, obviously. Cut out the bottom of the bracket enough to drop the stretched SLIC down through the bracket.

I wish I had a measurement on how much to cut out, but you can measure from the center of the side hole to the back of the I/C and take out a 1/4" more for clearance.

Before removing the stock I/C, make a reference mark on the bottom part of the bracket parallel with the I/C as the bracket mounts at an angle.

You might be able to do an ok job with a saws-all without removing the bracket, however, it will definitely be worth the effort to remove the bracket to cut, file and paint it.

Hopefully these photos will give you some ideas.

View attachment 332995

View attachment 332996

View attachment 332997
Fantastic and thank you for your help and pictorial guidance.

Fantastic and thank you for your help and pictorial guidance.

You're welcome. I had my bracket off three or four times taking more off to get clearance......... and to get the angle right.

You may need to slot holes to get the I/C to sit square.
I added some washers between the drivers side bracket and the block to get mine to look right.

You're welcome. I had my bracket off three or four times taking more off to get clearance......... and to get the angle right.

You may need to slot holes to get the I/C to sit square.
I added some washers between the drivers side bracket and the block to get mine to look right.

I was able to trim the IC bracket and get it cleaned up, ready for installation.
How much clearence should I expect or plan for between the IC and the IC fan?

I was able to trim the IC bracket and get it cleaned up, ready for installation.
How much clearence should I expect or plan for between the IC and the IC fan?

Mine is right at 1". I'm sure they vary due to how the larger neck is welded on.

I'm thinking my stocker was closer to 1/2 in. because of the washers I added and the slotted holes.

Hopefully others will offer added info.

Out of curiosity, does your Cotton's stretched SLIC have a 2 1/2 in. inlet neck and 15 rows?

Mine is right at 1". I'm sure they vary due to how the larger neck is welded on.

I'm thinking my stocker was closer to 1/2 in. because of the washers I added and the slotted holes.

Hopefully others will offer added info.

Out of curiosity, does your Cotton's stretched SLIC have a 2 1/2 in. inlet neck and 15 rows?

Mine has 2.5" inlet/outlet and is also 15 rows.
Hmmm, when I mocked this IC mounting, I am barely able to get 1/8" clearance between the IC and the IC fan! May have to slot the brackets to allow more clearance. Looks like prev owner has same issue since there is evidence of the IC fan getting cost with the IC in the past!

Here is the modified, blasted and repainted PS stock IC bracket... Have not test fitted it yet, but may have to oval the holes to allow for IC/IC fan clearance.

Attachments

• 20181230_171729.jpg
    20181230_171729.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 54
You are on the right track. The bracket looks good.
You may have to slot the holes in both brackets, although I found it easier to stack washer on the mounting studs before installing the drivers side bracket, but you may have to do both on both sides.