How to verify if engine is good?

I starterd tearing the motor down, and came across turbo being seized. Now im worried about the motor. How do it go about checking if its in good condition? Oil looks good and clean, I'll check the spark plugs along with removing the valavr covers. Then I'll try to spin the crank, also notice oil leak from the crank pully or oil pan not 100% sure yet, but it happen once motor was tilted on the hoist. I dont want to swap the motor with issues, Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Take the plugs out and spin it. Does it turn smoothly?
Put a dial indicator on all the rockers and make sure you still have the proper amount of lift on all the cam lobes.
Do a compression and leakdown test on the cylinders.

If you haven't drained the oil, when you do get a sample and mail it to Blackstone labs for an analysis. If there's excessive wear, it shows up in the oil and you'll know if the bearings are shot. If a head gasket is suspect they'll find either water or contamination from combustion byproducts. They can even tell if the car was run without an air filter.

If you have it out of the car, you'll want to tear it down to the long block to replace all the seals anyway. You can check the oil pump clearances when you pull the timing cover to do the front main. And if you have it torn down that much, you can flip it over, pop off the oil pan, and check all the main and rod bearing clearances with plastigage.

I'll pull the spark plus, out and spin the motor... what you guys think? Here's a few pics of valve covers off.

Attachments

• 20170420_171301.jpg
    20170420_171301.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 201
  • 20170420_171315.jpg
    20170420_171315.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 216
You need to do a compression test or even better a leak down that will tell you a lot . But it's hard for anyone to tell you it's good just by looking at acouple spark plugs and some oil .

Take the plugs out and spin it. Does it turn smoothly?
Put a dial indicator on all the rockers and make sure you still have the proper amount of lift on all the cam lobes.
Do a compression and leakdown test on the cylinders.

If you haven't drained the oil, when you do get a sample and mail it to Blackstone labs for an analysis. If there's excessive wear, it shows up in the oil and you'll know if the bearings are shot. If a head gasket is suspect they'll find either water or contamination from combustion byproducts. They can even tell if the car was run without an air filter.

If you have it out of the car, you'll want to tear it down to the long block to replace all the seals anyway. You can check the oil pump clearances when you pull the timing cover to do the front main. And if you have it torn down that much, you can flip it over, pop off the oil pan, and check all the main and rod bearing clearances with plastigage.

Pica posted thanks

From the way you are talking are you not planing on not rebuilding this motor and just runing it ? Pulling the heads ? Rebuilding ?

Need to give that engine a solid once over and clean it up. that engine has not run in a long time

Not sure to be honest. They are very dry is there any way i can clean them. Some show surface of rush because of the dryness.

You can wipe it down with a lint-free cotton or microfibre cloth soaked in WD-40, but it's not really necessary. It's just flash rust. It's not going to come off.

But if it's that dry, the insides are likely that dry too. At the very least you'll need to properly prime it before attempting to turn it over it with anything other than a hand tool.

Looking REAL dry!
I'd be looking in the pan, for dried up oil residue, caked up pump screen, toasted gaskets, seals, etc.
NO WAY I'd spin, start, or consider installing it, B4 I did a thorough check....

I'll pull the spark plus, out and spin the motor... what you guys think? Here's a few pics of valve covers off.

I don't know what your plans are for this engine but I would not plan on putting this in your car! There is way to much rust on the inside of that thing!,

You can wipe it down with a lint-free cotton or microfibre cloth soaked in WD-40, but it's not really necessary. It's just flash rust. It's not going to come off.

But if it's that dry, the insides are likely that dry too. At the very least you'll need to properly prime it before attempting to turn it over it with anything other than a hand tool.

Here's pics of the spark plugs..

Attachments

• 20170423_150835.jpg
    20170423_150835.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 128
  • 20170423_151232.jpg
    20170423_151232.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 132
Here is what I would do if I were you. You have two options
Tear the engine down and inspect (meaning pull intake off and inspect valvetrain, pull pan off and inspect a couple bearings, dont pull the heads off), if everything looks good then Fill it with oil and spin it over a few times. Clean it up and put it in,
of course priming the oil system thoroughly beforehand.

OR

Put oil in it now, prime it, Check to make sure everything is fastened properly and cross your fingers.

Here is what I would do if I were you. You have two options
Tear the engine down and inspect (meaning pull intake off and inspect valvetrain, pull pan off and inspect a couple bearings, dont pull the heads off), if everything looks good then Fill it with oil and spin it over a few times. Clean it up and put it in,
of course priming the oil system thoroughly beforehand.

OR

Put oil in it now, prime it, Check to make sure everything is fastened properly and cross your fingers.

Thanks for the info.

How do i go about priming the motor? First time doing a 3.8 buick engine.

Thanks for the info.

How do i go about priming the motor? First time doing a 3.8 buick engine.

You go to the parts store and rent the priming tool, which gets installed in place of the cam sensor (which is actually where the distributor would have gone).

Then you run it with a drill until oil comes out of the pushrods at the rocker arms.

What are your plans with this with this motor ? Have you done a compression test / leak down test on it ?

You go to the parts store and rent the priming tool, which gets installed in place of the cam sensor (which is actually where the distributor would have gone).

Then you run it with a drill until oil comes out of the pushrods at the rocker arms.
Thanks I'll do this on friday and keep yall updated.

What are your plans with this with this motor ? Have you done a compression test / leak down test on it ?
I'm using this engine for a hybrid, and double checking everything before I swap it, also cleaning it while putting new gaskets along with new water pump,injectors etc.