HR rear suspension setup

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Just wondering, what is the best way to set up a rear suspension. I have an HR anti-roll bar, adjustable upper, and 1/4 degree lowers. Car does not hook up on DR'S. Should I be adjusting the bar? It's at the base adjustment. Would love to use my trans brake. BTW Installing comp adjustable front drag shocks this week. Thanks, Dave

great post. cant wait to hear what peopel say. i have the same setup and have yet to take it to the track. what kind of 60's are you getting and how much boost you leaving on?

great post. cant wait to hear what peopel say. i have the same setup and have yet to take it to the track. what kind of 60's are you getting and how much boost you leaving on?
No track times yet. Lil street racing, but Everyone says it looks like I'm in a drifting contest!!!!!! Want to hang the front tires BADDDD!!!!!

Oh boy, where to start.....

Just wondering, what is the best way to set up a rear suspension. I have an HR anti-roll bar, adjustable upper, and 1/4 degree lowers. Car does not hook up on DR'S. Should I be adjusting the bar? It's at the base adjustment. Would love to use my trans brake. BTW Installing comp adjustable front drag shocks this week. Thanks, Dave

Getting traction is different for everyone, depending on what you have & how it is setup. We have been finding that once you have all the right suspension parts on the back (like our stuff) :D it just comes down to a little fine tuning to get the traction you need. It also depends on the total combo that you have, so the front shocks, front swaybar, rim width, front rims/tire weight, rear axle housing (and/or CA mounting positions), pinion angle, air bags & pressures, bushing design in CA's, travel limiters, ride height, and a whole lot of other factors including all the regular stuff with the motor/tune/trans come into play for traction off the line.

One main thing that needs to be considered is the instant center on the car. That is where the upper & lower CA's in the rear would meet if you could draw an imaginary line thru them going forward on the car. Unfortunately, the stock mounting points on the top ears of the stk rear housings leaves a lot to be desired. That stk position lets the rear squat hard on a launch, which you need to think of it as the rearend is actually coming up into the car & off the pavement (losing traction). Without changing the housing, the easiest thing to tune for this is to leave the airbags in and run them at a low pressure (like 5 psi) and equal side to side (if using our sway/anti-roll setup). A shock setting more on the stiff side in the rear helps out too. You want to try & resist the rearend from coming up into the car.

Now the best fix for this is an aftermarket rear housing. Almost all of them raised the upper ears approx 1" to 2", which seems to put them in a sweet spot for the instant center. With this setup, the airbags become almost no help at all, since the rearend gets driven into the pavement & separates from the body on a hard launch. You also want a softer shock setting here, to let it separate faster & easier.

No-hop bars are brackets that attach to the stock housing & raise the upper mounting point 2-3". This is more than necessary & can make it hit the tires too hard. Some say it's better than stk & some say it doesn't help at all (for the G-body cars). Now on an older A-body car, they help a LOT & many use them with the stk housing.

Some companies make brackets to lower the mounting points on the bottom of the rear axle. This also effects the instant center & gets it to hit the tires harder. We don't make them because they seem to help most on lower HP cars in the 12's & slower. There are also several side effects that are negative, like a weird feeling under hard braking. We have seem many make it work without them & not have the bad side effects, so we never made them or endorse them. On the G-body's, I would say go with the aftermarket rear housing, or keep the stk one & just stiffen things up & get it to work as-is.

The front end has to help out for traction too. One big thing we noticed on faster cars (in the 10's & beyond), that the old 90/10 settings are too harsh for the added power levels. Going to a 70/30 type setting slows the rise & fall on the front & makes for a nice smooth transition on the wheelie/launch. If this it too abrupt, then you get a short quick wheelie, and then they usually spin & re-hook & look like they are bucking or porposing off the line (on video). It happens so quick, it is hard to see by eye as it happens. The front sway also is nice on the street, but hurts at the track. Anyone running our rear sway says it works great on the street with NO front sway, even with drag shocks & skinnies up front! Definitely worth a try IMO, probably end up leaving it off like others do.

Don't want any kind of pinion snubber either, as soon as it hits, it unloads the rearend & breaks traction. Also seems that around 3 to 3.5 degrees pinion angle is another sweet spot. Less is easy on parts, more seems to put bite into the rear, and would say no matter what, stay in the 2 to 5 range at any et level.

Our lowers that are +1/4" length also help with pinion angle & tire clearance. They add approx 1.5 degrees to the stk setting. One more important thing on higher HP cars is that it helps the driveshaft from being pushed into the trans too far. The splines on the input shaft will twist, no way around that. The problem lies in that when the power is applied, the tires hook, and the bushings in the rear suspension compress, and the d-shaft is pushed forward. If it goes past the part where it has been riding for years at a lower HP level & are twisted, it meets the part that was never engaged & is still straight. This binds up, and unloads the rear & loses traction instantly. This one is a hard one to find, but shows up when the power levels increase. Easy fix is to take the yoke off the trans & take to a machine shop & bore out the old straight splines so they don't hit/bind anymore.

As for the bushings in the rear, the stk rubber is WAY too soft & lets things move around way too much & doesn't transfer the power fast enough. The std "gold shell" poly bushings that have been avail for years doesn't have any way to grease them & have too much compression on them so they don't move easy & bind & squeak (common issue with std poly bushings). Our regular poly setup has less initial compression so they move easier, and all have a grease fitting to make sure they don't bind or squeak.

Our Extreme Duty bushings are made to handle even more power, and still greasable so no bind & squeaks. They have a hard center for practically solid front to back connection, but softer sides and custom design/tolerances that let it move more like a rod end. They give up a little over the std poly for ride quality, but still better than the rod ends would ride on the street.

After that, we have the Ultimate & Insane series arms with oversize heavy duty rod ends (best you can get) that will take any HP/weight setup you want to subject them to. Some use them on limited street use too, but if in the 9's & driving on the street, I would go more for the XD setup (above). These are more for a race-only setup where you need the best & strongest you can get.

Our swaybar helps with traction & handling on 15 sec cars all the way down to an all-out 7 sec race car. Some still think it's for race only, but we actually have more street cars with them than race cars. It will make it handle like never before, and have you grinnin for years to come! :D We try to get everyone to set them up neutral at first, especially if not going super fast. That works best for street driving & mild racing. If going mid 11's & quicker, you will need to add a SLIGHT bit of preload to it. Think of it like a line graph with NO preload at 12.0's, and maybe 3 turns if in the 7's. You should be in there somewhere. One issue is no one can find a perfectly flat surface to set it on, so chances are it's off a little from the start. Best to get a feel for how it drives on the street & track, and if pulling/pushing one way or the other, adjust it based on that more than where you think the "turns" are at from neutral. If going too far off original setting, I would say get it to flat ground again & start over. Shouldn't be that far off to get it to work good & go straight.

Rim width in the rear is important too. Finding a LOT more traction on the 10.5 x 28 slicks when going to the 10" (even 11" on some) over what they "say" is OK to run an 8" rim. Not real sure on the drag radial stuff as much, but would say getting a perfect footprint out of rim width is VERY important. Got several guys with the drag radials getting mid 1.2's for 60' times, so I know it's possible & not just blind luck. The stiffer sidewall slicks seem to be preferred over the older soft side slicks too. Makes it more stable down track & not really giving anything up on the launch.

Hope that helps out!

I just got my anti-roll bar installed today and felt an immediate differance. I usually pull out of my garage parking lot at an angle. Today when I did it I noticed the car stayed straight and almost felt as if one side of the car came off the ground as I drove across the incline of the parking lot where it meets the road. Definitely feels much stiffer even without the front sway bar.
Not trying to rob this thread but I also can`t hook with the DR`s. One thing I did notice during the install...I bolted everything up even and square. I took measurements to confirm that the rod ends were set at an equal distance front to back from the housing. And that the upper axle housing clamps were rotated in the exact same location as eachother on the axle housing. Only then did I re-read and notice that I was supposed to pull the passenger side upper rod bolt out to hook everything up, adjust to get the bolt back in and then re-adjust to the neutral position. Does this cause for some pre-load that is necessary? Everything seems fine and after a short ride today I made some hits at a roll. Can`t tell much with the DR`s since I experienced the same "drifting" effect as Dr. Drivability.
I`m heading for the open T&T session this weekend at the track with some slicks. Looking forward to not tearing up the slicks. And I`m looking to hang the tires too. I hope.

Only then did I re-read and notice that I was supposed to pull the passenger side upper rod bolt out to hook everything up, adjust to get the bolt back in and then re-adjust to the neutral position. Does this cause for some pre-load that is necessary? Everything seems fine and after a short ride today I made some hits at a roll. Can`t tell much with the DR`s since I experienced the same "drifting" effect as Dr. Drivability.
I`m heading for the open T&T session this weekend at the track with some slicks. Looking forward to not tearing up the slicks. And I`m looking to hang the tires too. I hope.

The last bolt out mentioned in the instructions is usually just to make install go easier. Usually when on a lift or whatever you use to get under there, things are not level or straight & things won't line up perfect. SO easiest way is to leave one bolt out until the end (so the reat lines up correctly), and then adj the hex link to get the bolt back in (instead of prying the rearend around to line up), and THEN get it on level ground & set the preload.

On a 4 post lift, this is less of an isssue & usually lines up real close. On a 2 post lift, the tires hang down more & stuff is harder to line up. Personally, if you don't have a 4 post lift, I prefer to just jack up the pumpkin & put ramps under the rear tires (for added clearance) (& block the front tires & put E-brake on for safety) & just do it on the floor.

Once you guys get it on there, it's just a tuning thing from there. All else fails, find another buick with a similar setup as yours & see what's different or how they are doing it. Sometimes it's as simple as tire pressures, and sometimes it gets into new control arms & better bushings & shocks & more. Our swaybar helps a lot & makes it handle way better, but it can't fix mis-matched or incorrect settings on other stuff. It can make up for some of it & work better, but it all needs to work together for the same cause to really give the best possible performance for the power you have avail.

On a car that hooks good already, our bar may only help a small amount. On the flip side, on a car that has all the rest in place but can't get it to hook, we have seen over 3 tenths gain in the 1/4 with NO other changes! So it definitely depends on the rest of the setup you have & how it's tuned.
Good luck & enjoy!
If still having issues after some tuning etc, feel free to email me all the details on your setup & a video helps too, and I will help all I can.

When you guys are saying "Can't hook up with the DR" what exactly is happening? Are you blowing the tires off instantly or is the car leaving then spinning? There are alot of variables involved. Need to know what kind of shocks and springs you have.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

For me the DR`s do nothing. They are like having regular radial tires. Unless I have slicks, I just can`t hook this car. With slicks it launches perfect, with out-not so perfect. Up till yesterday I had stock front springs with standard cheap shocks from Sears(don`t even recall the name). The reason I did this is because I knew of some cars set-up using cheap shocks and were actually hooking up very well. So I tried them out, just never changed them. All bushings in the front are the new poly-urethane type. Front sway bar removed.
In the rear I have Hotchkis uppers and lowers with whatever bushings came in them. They appear to be hard poly with grease fittings. Stock rear springs with air-bags. And stock rear sway bar. Shocks are Monroe-matic type. Now the rear sway bar has been removed and replaced with the HR anti-roll bar. I do know my rear shocks aren`t ideal for a drag race application, but I figured this car would hook better than it does.
From a dead stop launch or from a roll the DR`s just go up in smoke.I`ve played with air pressure in the tires and bags with no luck. My next thought was to buy some QA1s for the rear and soften them up.
My friend has the exact same setup as me..but with SouthSide lowers and BFG radials. He actually gets me a car and a half out the gate while I fight the spinning on the DRs. Any thoughts?

Take all the air out of the bags, it is not needed to launch well with the bar. Comp shocks to 90/10 front and 50/50 rear work wonders.

Getting traction is different for everyone, depending on what you have & how it is setup. We have been finding that once you have all the right suspension parts on the back (like our stuff) :D it just comes down to a little fine tuning to get the traction you need. It also depends on the total combo that you have, so the front shocks, front swaybar, rim width, front rims/tire weight, rear axle housing (and/or CA mounting positions), pinion angle, air bags & pressures, bushing design in CA's, travel limiters, ride height, and a whole lot of other factors including all the regular stuff with the motor/tune/trans come into play for traction off the line.

One main thing that needs to be considered is the instant center on the car. That is where the upper & lower CA's in the rear would meet if you could draw an imaginary line thru them going forward on the car. Unfortunately, the stock mounting points on the top ears of the stk rear housings leaves a lot to be desired. That stk position lets the rear squat hard on a launch, which you need to think of it as the rearend is actually coming up into the car & off the pavement (losing traction). Without changing the housing, the easiest thing to tune for this is to leave the airbags in and run them at a low pressure (like 5 psi) and equal side to side (if using our sway/anti-roll setup). A shock setting more on the stiff side in the rear helps out too. You want to try & resist the rearend from coming up into the car.

Now the best fix for this is an aftermarket rear housing. Almost all of them raised the upper ears approx 1" to 2", which seems to put them in a sweet spot for the instant center. With this setup, the airbags become almost no help at all, since the rearend gets driven into the pavement & separates from the body on a hard launch. You also want a softer shock setting here, to let it separate faster & easier.

No-hop bars are brackets that attach to the stock housing & raise the upper mounting point 2-3". This is more than necessary & can make it hit the tires too hard. Some say it's better than stk & some say it doesn't help at all (for the G-body cars). Now on an older A-body car, they help a LOT & many use them with the stk housing.

Some companies make brackets to lower the mounting points on the bottom of the rear axle. This also effects the instant center & gets it to hit the tires harder. We don't make them because they seem to help most on lower HP cars in the 12's & slower. There are also several side effects that are negative, like a weird feeling under hard braking. We have seem many make it work without them & not have the bad side effects, so we never made them or endorse them. On the G-body's, I would say go with the aftermarket rear housing, or keep the stk one & just stiffen things up & get it to work as-is.

The front end has to help out for traction too. One big thing we noticed on faster cars (in the 10's & beyond), that the old 90/10 settings are too harsh for the added power levels. Going to a 70/30 type setting slows the rise & fall on the front & makes for a nice smooth transition on the wheelie/launch. If this it too abrupt, then you get a short quick wheelie, and then they usually spin & re-hook & look like they are bucking or porposing off the line (on video). It happens so quick, it is hard to see by eye as it happens. The front sway also is nice on the street, but hurts at the track. Anyone running our rear sway says it works great on the street with NO front sway, even with drag shocks & skinnies up front! Definitely worth a try IMO, probably end up leaving it off like others do.

Don't want any kind of pinion snubber either, as soon as it hits, it unloads the rearend & breaks traction. Also seems that around 3 to 3.5 degrees pinion angle is another sweet spot. Less is easy on parts, more seems to put bite into the rear, and would say no matter what, stay in the 2 to 5 range at any et level.

Our lowers that are +1/4" length also help with pinion angle & tire clearance. They add approx 1.5 degrees to the stk setting. One more important thing on higher HP cars is that it helps the driveshaft from being pushed into the trans too far. The splines on the input shaft will twist, no way around that. The problem lies in that when the power is applied, the tires hook, and the bushings in the rear suspension compress, and the d-shaft is pushed forward. If it goes past the part where it has been riding for years at a lower HP level & are twisted, it meets the part that was never engaged & is still straight. This binds up, and unloads the rear & loses traction instantly. This one is a hard one to find, but shows up when the power levels increase. Easy fix is to take the yoke off the trans & take to a machine shop & bore out the old straight splines so they don't hit/bind anymore.

As for the bushings in the rear, the stk rubber is WAY too soft & lets things move around way too much & doesn't transfer the power fast enough. The std "gold shell" poly bushings that have been avail for years doesn't have any way to grease them & have too much compression on them so they don't move easy & bind & squeak (common issue with std poly bushings). Our regular poly setup has less initial compression so they move easier, and all have a grease fitting to make sure they don't bind or squeak.

Our Extreme Duty bushings are made to handle even more power, and still greasable so no bind & squeaks. They have a hard center for practically solid front to back connection, but softer sides and custom design/tolerances that let it move more like a rod end. They give up a little over the std poly for ride quality, but still better than the rod ends would ride on the street.

After that, we have the Ultimate & Insane series arms with oversize heavy duty rod ends (best you can get) that will take any HP/weight setup you want to subject them to. Some use them on limited street use too, but if in the 9's & driving on the street, I would go more for the XD setup (above). These are more for a race-only setup where you need the best & strongest you can get.

Our swaybar helps with traction & handling on 15 sec cars all the way down to an all-out 7 sec race car. Some still think it's for race only, but we actually have more street cars with them than race cars. It will make it handle like never before, and have you grinnin for years to come! :D We try to get everyone to set them up neutral at first, especially if not going super fast. That works best for street driving & mild racing. If going mid 11's & quicker, you will need to add a SLIGHT bit of preload to it. Think of it like a line graph with NO preload at 12.0's, and maybe 3 turns if in the 7's. You should be in there somewhere. One issue is no one can find a perfectly flat surface to set it on, so chances are it's off a little from the start. Best to get a feel for how it drives on the street & track, and if pulling/pushing one way or the other, adjust it based on that more than where you think the "turns" are at from neutral. If going too far off original setting, I would say get it to flat ground again & start over. Shouldn't be that far off to get it to work good & go straight.

Rim width in the rear is important too. Finding a LOT more traction on the 10.5 x 28 slicks when going to the 10" (even 11" on some) over what they "say" is OK to run an 8" rim. Not real sure on the drag radial stuff as much, but would say getting a perfect footprint out of rim width is VERY important. Got several guys with the drag radials getting mid 1.2's for 60' times, so I know it's possible & not just blind luck. The stiffer sidewall slicks seem to be preferred over the older soft side slicks too. Makes it more stable down track & not really giving anything up on the launch.

Hope that helps out!
Can you give us a link to print up the anti-roll bar installation instruction manual that came with the bar? Thanks Dave

HRpartsNstuff Installation Guide for:
Super Swaybar / Anti-Roll System
On 1978 through 1987 GM G-Body vehicles (Regal, Malibu, etc.)

The following instructions are for removal of any factory swaybar and the installation of the New HRpartsNstuff Super Swaybar / Anti-Roll System (referred to as “Swaybar” below). Due to the many different suspension upgrades available, possible combinations of each individual’s car, and the many different stamping & assy plants used on each vehicle, the following instructions are to be used as a GUIDE, as actual installation may vary from car to car. For safety, we recommend that removal and installation is done by a professional mechanic or qualified individual. The removal/installation of the Swaybar can be done by one person, but is much easier with a helper. Please read ALL of the instructions containing important information and details to ensure safety, ease of installation, and proper performance.

NOTE: Check frame and crossmember (that upper control arms “trailing arms” bolt into) for signs of stress, rust, or damaged welds. Reinforcement and/or braces are highly recommended on higher HP applications, between the crossmember and the upper control arm brackets, and the crossmember to the frame.

1. If your car has airbags, empty any air pressure that is in them. Adjust air pressure in all tires to normal settings.

2. Penetrating oil may be needed on factory swaybar nuts to break loose, soaking them overnight for best results.

3. Safely raise the car (drive on lift is best). If lifting by the frame, support with jack stands and then drop the rearend
housing down completely. This removal/install can be done with rearend loaded or unloaded.

4. Remove current swaybar or anti-roll kit from the rear. For extra strength, replace the bolts into the control arm
swaybar mounting holes with shorter bolts (with heads to the inside) clamping the sides of the control arms together.

5. Thread the jam nuts onto the rod ends all the way as shown. Note that there are (2) with right
hand threads and (2) with left hand threads (the ones with notches cut on corners of hex).

6. Thread the rod ends into the hex spacer links as shown. Note that there is one end with right
hand threads and one end with left hand threads (the ones with notches cut on corners of hex).
Make rod ends / hex assy as short as possible, without tightening nuts.

7. Using the supplied grease pack, squirt approx. one-half into each poly swaybar
mount I.D. Note that this special grease is extremely sticky, so take care not to get
any on anything other than the inside of the poly bushings. Install the poly bushing
onto the swaybar by spreading it apart at the split line. Locate them as wide as
possible on the straight area, approx. 27” apart (as shown). Then slide the gold steel brackets onto the poly.

8. Bolt the left hand rod ends (ones with notches on nut and hex) to the OUTSIDE of the swaybar ends; using the LONGEST ½” bolts. The bolt
goes through the rod end first (with NO washer), then through the swaybar,
then flat washer, and then the lock-nut. Torque nuts to 40 ft/lbs MAX.
Do NOT over-tighten! Excessive clamping force presses inner ball of the
rod end into the swaybar, which restricts its available movement.

9. NOTE: The following calculations are to make sure swaybar is mounted centered between frame rails on rearend.
Measure distance between frame rails on the crossmember that the upper rear control arms bolt into with a tape
measure. Take measurement across the lower edge of the crossmember, which should be approx. 43”. The
following calculation is to get the correct spacing needed, centered between the frame rails. Take the total width,
subtract 34-1/2”, and then divide by 2. That will be the dimension to measure in from each side of the frame rails.
Example: 43” minus 34-1/2” = 8-1/2”, and 8-1/2” divided by 2 = 4-1/4” Use the line below to compute:

____________ minus 34-1/2 = ____________ divided by 2 = ____________
Total Width Distance from Edges

10. Measure in from each frame rail the final amount figured above and mark the crossmember with chalk or a crayon.
Double check the dimension between the 2 marks to be 34-1/2”. Adjust both inward or both outward EQUAL
amounts to get the 34-1/2” correct. You can triple check the marks by holding the end links and swaybar up to the
crossmember. The objective is to have the end links appear square to the swaybar from these marks. The marks can
be re-adjusted if the end links appear to spread wider or are narrower than where the rod ends mount to the swaybar.

11. Mark the crossmember 1-5/16” (or 1.300) each side of each mark from steps above, 4 new marks total. Then mark
through these 4 new marks in the middle of the crossmember. The upper rod end mounting brackets can be held
against the crossmember in position, and circles be drawn in the bolt holes to double check.

The crossmember marks should look like this: + I + + I +

The +’s represent the 4 new marks that will need to be drilled, the I’s represent the first marks 34-1/2” apart.
Drill the 4 new marks (NOT the 2 original marks) with the 7/16” drill bit supplied. MAKE SURE EYE PROTECTION IS WORN, and long sleeve shirt is recommended. A center punch marking the locations makes it easier to start drilling in the correct location. Deburr the holes on both sides, and clean all debris so the upper plate lays flat. A round (rat tail) file works great for deburring the hole.

12. Bolt the upper rod end brackets to the crossmember with the SHORT 3/8” bolts and washers. The head of the bolt
MUST come up from the bottom with one flat washer under the head. On top of the crossmember should be the
3/16” thick plate with 2 holes in it. Then install another flat washer and finally the lock-nut onto each bolt. Snug all
4 bolts equally, and then torque all to 15 ft/lbs, 25 ft/lbs , and then finally to 30 ft/lbs (do NOT over-tighten!).

13. Using one SHORT ½” bolt, temporarily attach the upper rod end on the PASSENGER SIDE to the crossmember
bracket. Use the BOLT ONLY on this side at this time. With the 2nd short ½” bolt, permanently attach the rod end on the DRIVERS SIDE. You MUST hold a washer on the outside of each tab BEFORE the bolt is pushed through. If the washer is placed on the bolt first, it will bind and not allow the bolt to go through. These bolts must (unfortunately) be tightened with open-end wrenches. The end links could not be shortened any more to allow more clearance to be built in here. This step works best with one person holding the bar and one person installing the hardware.

14. Place the upper axle tube brackets on the axle tubes and space them approx. 27” apart. Make sure they are equally
spaced away from each side so they are centered on the car. With a rubber mallet (or hammer handle), tap down into place making sure the largest relief area is lined up with the brake line. MAKE SURE BRAKE LINE IS NOT SMASHED, DENTED, GOUGED, OR DAMAGED IN ANY WAY! Pull the swaybar into place while lining up the poly brackets horizontally under the axle tubes. Hold the lower axle tube bracket on the PASSENGER SIDE poly bracket and pull swaybar until it lines up with upper axle tube bracket. Slide the lock-washers onto the 3/8” bolts first, and then the small washers. Insert the bolts through the poly brackets first, then through the large spacer washers, then the lower axle tube brackets (see separate spacer notice for details). Thread bolts into the upper axle tube brackets (line up perfectly to start easy). Use a helper or strap to hold the weight of the bar up, allowing movement of the bracket and poly for easier alignment. Get both bolts started and then thread in equal amounts taking turns often. Thread in only part way at this time, putting slight pressure on the brackets to the axle tube.

15. Pull the upper ½” bolt from the upper rod end on the PASSENGER SIDE. Install the DRIVERS SIDE lower axle
tube bracket and poly bracket same as step #14 above. Make sure to thread in part way ONLY like passenger side.

16. With a rubber mallet (or hammer handle), adjust both lower axle tube brackets
and poly brackets to be equally spaced away from the lower control arm brackets. Take a measurement from the same place on each side, like the head
of the bolts for the lower control arms. This dimension should be as SHORT as possible, without placing the poly bushing too far into the bend of the swaybar,
and without placing the upper axle bracket too close to the largest diameter of
the coil springs. The brackets can be approx. 23”-27” apart, and moved to clear exhaust if necessary, as long as they are equally spaced from the lower control
arm brackets. Keep spacing as wide as possible for best handling / performance. Make sure upper axle tube brackets are lined up centered to lower axle tube brackets. Also, the complete bracket assembly can be rotated on the axle tube to line up horizontally to the frame / chassis. MAKE SURE THE BRAKE LINE IS NOT AGAINST ANY SHARP EDGES OR BOUND UP! Snug and tighten all 4 bolts in equal steps alternating often in small equal steps. The goal is to obtain the same amount of thread engagement on each bolt once tight. Torque in equal steps, 4@20 ft./lbs, 4@26 ft./lbs, 4@32 ft./lbs (32 MAX!).
NOTE: Wide spacing is best so bar can’t move side-to-side. Distortion on outer edges of poly from bend in bar is OK.
17. Adjust the DRIVERS SIDE hex link to its shortest possible setting, and then lock down both jam nuts. Note that
both nuts turn the same direction to tighten (pushing wrench or pulling wrench on both jam nuts), holding the center hex link from turning. Make sure the jam nuts are tightening against the center hex link and NOT the ends of the rod ends (very deceiving). Double check rod end clearance so that the complete end link assembly is not bound up.

18. Lengthen the hex link on the PASSENGER SIDE until the ½” bolt lines up. Attach the upper rod end similar to step
#13 above, starting at the 3rd sentence. Safely lower the vehicle and place it on level surface. Double check tire pressures, air bag pressures (MUST BE EQUAL), and load to be the same as normal driving conditions. Turn the PASSENGER SIDE center hex link one direction (lengthen) until resistance is felt, and then turn in the opposite direction (shorten) until the same amount of resistance is felt. Then turn hex to the approx. middle point and then lock down both jam nuts. Note that both nuts turn the same direction to tighten, holding the center hex link from turning. Make sure the jam nuts are tightening against the center hex link and NOT the ends of the rod ends (very deceiving). Double check rod end clearance on both ends to allow the entire end link assembly to rotate slightly.

FOR DRAG RACE ONLY: For a more precise setting, the driver should be IN the car when setting this hex link.
>>> IMPORTANT NOTICE: 95% of our customers use NO pre-load (Neutral setting) <<<

No preload should be necessary (AND PREFERRED) on the swaybar, airbags, upper adjustable control arms, springs, or shocks. Preload on the swaybar and/or airbags can be tried on faster vehicles (high 9’s & quicker) if the desired effect is not reached with the neutral setting. ANY type of preload starts to take away from the cars ability to track straight down the dragstrip, and can reduce tire clearance plus negatively effect handling. A couple of our faster customers in the low 8 to mid 9 range have reported up to 2 turns preload seemed to have helped out.

DRAG STRIP PERFORMANCE NOTE:
This swaybar / anti-roll system is designed to make the vehicle launch level and track in a straight line under WOT. Most times, the 60 ft. time will be lowered as well, and not “fall-off” as much when track conditions degrade. If 60 ft. times are not as low as they should be (for a given E.T.) or as low as you would like, then attention should be directed to the rear control arms next. Preload testing should be done on 9’s and quicker, 2 turns MAX!
Many “name brand” control arm manufacturer’s product designs cause excessive binding and sometimes squeaking. Please note that this binding is usually NOT from side-to-side resistance or misalignment that some companies “fix” by using a rod end on the control arm end. The binding is actually more of a “resistance” that comes from insufficient clearance on the bushings to the inner steel spacer on the ends of the control arms. This binding slows or stops weight from being transferred when launching off the line. Without weight transfer, any size slick can easily be over-powered and spin.
Lower control arms that lower the rear mounting point actually aggravate this situation. They change the “instant center” which in effect “hits” the tires harder. With insufficient weight transfer and a harder “hit” off the line, many racers will lower the rpm and/or boost/NOS levels in an attempt to regain traction.
Our upper and lower rear control arms AND bushings are designed specifically to eliminate any possible binding and squeaking. Our center steel spacers are center-less ground to an exact dimension and surface finish to greatly reduce the resistance of the suspension movement up and down. Our custom design using special graphite impregnated poly bushing material (Poly-Graphite), grease grooves 360 degrees around the I.D. of the bushings, along with this extra clearance, allows free movement up and down while retaining firm handling characteristics.
Quite often with our complete suspension package (swaybar, upper and lower control arms), performance is best when using stock style springs and shocks. The need for custom “race” springs, adjustable shocks, air bags, and high pressures in passenger side air bag is greatly reduced. Our complete package also allows the vehicle to be launched harder on poor track surfaces, be MUCH more controlled, and go straight and level every time. Consistency is also greatly improved, especially when track conditions degrade or change unexpectedly. When your competition is getting out of the groove and losing traction and time, you will be going straight as an arrow.
Two great rules to remember in racing:
1.) Every tenth reduction of your 60 ft. time = 1.5 to 2 tenths reduction of your ¼ mile time! So, to go 4 tenths quicker in the ¼ mile, if often only takes 2 tenths reduction in the 60 ft. to make it happen.
2.) The quickest path between 2 points is a straight line! If your vehicle is veering off to the sides and getting out of the groove, you are adding unnecessary distance to your ¼ mile trip. That will add up quickly and cause you to lose time and consistency run-to-run, not to mention compromising safety for you and your vehicle! Getting out of the groove can easily put a car on its roof or into the guard rail, as we all have seen more often than we would like.

NOTE: ALL nuts & bolts should be checked and/or re-torqued to the figures above after 3 to 4 hard launches and/or 100 miles. Regular maintenance includes keeping the poly bushings greased with any “normal” chassis grease. Synthetic greases may have a compatibility problem with the poly and/or the powdercoating. Axle bracket bolts and rod end to swaybar bolts should be triple checked approx. 1-year from installation, or if any adverse conditions or drops in performance arise. This kit is designed for minimum attention after installed, but should be checked like other “race” parts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Due to the many different 9” and Dana 60 rearends available for the many applications of HRpartsNstuff Swaybar/Anti-roll kits, WELDING the LOWER AXLE BRACKETS ONTO the axle tubes is recommended.

Welding the lower brackets on ALL rearends and ALL applications is preferred for maximum strength and safety. The welds will increase the clamping force over bolts alone, and also ensure no rotation occurs. This is important on daily drivers as well as high HP applications.

Assembly should be the same as in the “bolt-on” assembly guide, with the ADDITION of welding the lower axle/swaybar brackets to the axle tubes.

Make sure axle/swaybar brackets are centered to the backing plates (and/or spring perches or low control arm brackets), and as wide as the swaybar permits (approx 27” center to center) before welding.

Also make sure axle/swaybar brackets are parallel with the frame rails (and/or main lower edge of car), and level and square to each other before welding.

NOTE: BOLTS MUST STILL BE CHECKED TO BE TIGHT PERIODICALLY AS STATED IN THE ASSEMBLY GUIDE.

Please E-mail us at HRpartsNstuff@AOL.com if you have any questions.

hope that helps. if you need to i can email you the directions. i have 2 word docs. like posted and i have 2 pdf's that just show the contents and of the washers between the bushings.

Anytime anyone needs install instructions for any of our products, just send me an email requesting them & let me know what car/application you have. I have everything available to send out as an attachment.

Can't fax them, the pictures come thru as black squares. Will have it all available on the new site for download/viewing soon (in tech section), but tied up with other stuff lately & can't seem to find time to finish the website up. Going to be sweeeet when it goes live, lots of new & exciting stuff on the new site!

Also, with cars that have the stock rear HOUSING, the instant center isn't in a good spot. Seems to help to keep airbags in & run them at low pressure & even side to side (with our swaybar). Something like 5psi each side seems to do the trick. The rearend tries to come up into the car, which makes it LOOK like the rear squats & is pushing down on the rearend, but it's actually the other way around. The bags will help keep the weight on the rearend for traction. If over 5psi seems to be needed, I would get our airbag spacers (HR-0350) and try 3psi or 5 psi with those. Get too much air & they work like a basketball & hurt the launch.

If you have an aftermarket housing with the top ears raised (almost all of them now), then the airbags are not needed & really shouldn't effect the launch with or without air in them. The body will separate from the axle, so they are not doing anything. This plants the rearend & since it's lifting the body, all that weight is going on the tires. Picture standing on a bathroom scale, and try to lift a box real fast. The scale will read your weight + the box + more, since you are using force to raise the box (like torque does at launch). Once you have the box lifted, then the scale will read your weight + the box & no more. This is why an aftermarket housing helps a lot & the A-body guys use the no-hop bars a lot (theirs are off even more at stock setup).

Sooo, moral of the story is, don't always think every car doesn't need the airbags to work best. Of course we are working on a new item that will fix this for people running the stk housings, since there are so many still doing that (like I did too). That will probably be avail next summer. Got a lot going on right now & never enough time to work on it all.

Of course we are working on a new item that will fix this for people running the stk housings, since there are so many still doing that (like I did too). That will probably be avail next summer. Got a lot going on right now & never enough time to work on it all.

Very interested in this, mind giving us a preview into what you have in mind??

Paul,
Thank you very much for your input on this subject--you sure know your stuff.
I was wondering if you could offer one more piece of advice.
I am getting ready to add QA-1 adj. shocks front and rear---i was wondering if you could rec. a starting point(# on shocks) to get started?
I have your full rear susp.(I was the car you used at RC's last year to do your display--you guys made some adjustments on the susp.!!)
airbags, and no front sway bar.

Thanks for any help!!

Geoff

Sorry, no can do on the preview. :cool:
Seems too many competitors like to take my ideas & get them going faster than I can do it. Some of these guys had many years head start or lots of money (or both) to get their biz going. I didn't have either, did it the old fashioned way & just work my buttt off on a shoe-string budget :) I always figured if I pour my heart & soul into what I love, then the stuff I make will sell. Of course it took lots of great ideas & lots of testing & research & design etc, etc, etc too :) Just takes longer being more of a one man show here with some help.

Most people don't know it, but all those welds are all mine! My hands are on the stuff from the drawing board to when they get packed in the box to ship out. I know I should work more ON the biz then IN the biz & grow faster, but I am a perfectionist (wife calls it something else :D ) and a control freak, so I try to do it all or at least closely control things & inspect it all before going to the next phase. I know it all pays off in the end for me, cause I know my stuff will look right, fit right, work right, and last practically forever. Not as profitable as mass production with profits as the goal (like about any biz out there), but that wasn't why I started building parts. To me, each weld or part is like a sculpture that I am building, not just a part that bolts on a car. If I thought of it all the other way, I probably couldn't do what I do anymore.

As for shocks, I have heard that if getting the QA1's, get the "R" series on nothing. Heard the lower line (still pricy) is nowhere near as good & doesn't last. Don't have personal experiences, only what we hear from customers. Seems the AFCO ones are the best, but think they are more money. We are looking into carrying them & maybe some custom made springs next year too. Trying to get a more complete package available for those starting from scratch.

As for settings, on the front you want to start with the 90/10 if in the 12's. As you go faster, you want to be around a 70/30 setting when in the 10's & faster. At that point you won't need the quicker rise to help launch, so you want to slow it down & let the power do it more than the shock. The 90/10 setting is usually hurting guys at that point, and make it do a quick wheelie & unload & spin as soon as the front tires come back down (happens quick & hard to notice some times).

On the rear, with a stk housing you want it fairly stiff (50/50 minimum) so it doesn't let the rearend come up into the body. Just watch too stiff & it won't follow the track imperfections & could break traction. If using no-hops or aftermarket housing, then you want it 50/50 or looser. That lets the geometry plant the rear tires into the pavement & separate from the body easily. Again, if too far that direction (too loose), then it could hit too hard & break traction especially when limited with drag radials.

THE GOAL IS to have a nice smooth controlled wheelie up & smooth slow action coming back down, so there is NO abrupt changes in the loading of the chassis. Big wheelstands are always fun to watch, but really don't help you go faster & definitely not safer. Of course I love to see them too :)

As for cars that use those brackets to lower the mounting point where the rear lower ca attaches to the rear housing, that changes the geometry & hits the tires harder. On a 12 sec car, they can seem to help out. On a faster car, they start to hurt more than they do good. Plus they have a negative effect on the car at high speeds & under hard braking. That's why we don't sell or make those. And on a G-body, seems the no-hops are too much of a change in location & don't help like they should. That is why we plan to have something that works better & puts things where they need to be for best performance. Check our website in the spring for more on this if interested. Might let the cat out of the bag then ;)

I just finished installing my HR Bar finally and want to make sure everything is right. I hate leftover parts and if I did step 14 right I used the thin washer setup from the separate notice sheet. So that means that the large spacer washers are not used at all correct? Also I think there was a bag with 4 flathead screws, what were those for? Or maybe they just ended up next to the box?