You can type here any text you want

Hybrid, some diff?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Verz

Build'n it Better
Heres teh deal, have an 84 cutlass supreme minus motor/trans. Was thinking of swapping in a newer EFI 3800 from an fbody and puttin on a turbo for kind of a new school TT. Has anyone done this project before? Bad idea, good idea? Just lookin for some thoughts.

swap would be a LOT easier with the GN setup as opposed to the newer setup.

well its either this or an LT1 swap so neither is going to be easy plus im not too familiar with the GN fuel injection setup

Since that engine bay is so huge.... have you thought of an LS1 with twin stock GN turbos (or bigger)? The 5.3/6.0 truck engines are essentially the same (except for being iron blocks) compared to the 5.7 LS1 all alum engine. The 5.3/6.0 exhaust manifolds can be flipped forward (like the Stang guys do) and mated up to some turbos.... the weak link is the stock LS1 pistons. Beyond about 525rwhp and you are on shaky ground. However stock LS1 block/cranks have made 1000rwhp in many different cars with homebuilt setups. Even the stock LS6 and even 5.3/6.0 truck intake manifolds aren't a major restriction up to 1000rwhp!

LS1 computers are miles ahead of GN stuff and LT1 as well. It would be worth a look. 5.3 truck engines can be picked up for $1200-1500 used.

car-part.com

Put a TH400 behind it and you can beat on it with no worries....

i wanted to do an LS1 but the cost was over what i felt i could realistically spend. On the truck engines are the parts interchangable with the ls1 or no? Also would i have to use the truck ecm or would a ls1 ecm work?

Verz said:
well its either this or an LT1 swap so neither is going to be easy plus im not too familiar with the GN fuel injection setup

i din't know sht about the GN efi and i still don't know SHTT about it
and i did a swap into an 1984 monte and beat on it every day for a very long time and never ever ever had a single problem.
good luck dude

I would think that newer 3800 seriesV6 would have a solid bottom end with cross bolt mains. Hook up a fast system and you be ready to roll.

gnx7 said:
Since that engine bay is so huge.... have you thought of an LS1 with twin stock GN turbos (or bigger)? The 5.3/6.0 truck engines are essentially the same (except for being iron blocks) compared to the 5.7 LS1 all alum engine. The 5.3/6.0 exhaust manifolds can be flipped forward (like the Stang guys do) and mated up to some turbos.... the weak link is the stock LS1 pistons. Beyond about 525rwhp and you are on shaky ground. However stock LS1 block/cranks have made 1000rwhp in many different cars with homebuilt setups. Even the stock LS6 and even 5.3/6.0 truck intake manifolds aren't a major restriction up to 1000rwhp!

LS1 computers are miles ahead of GN stuff and LT1 as well. It would be worth a look. 5.3 truck engines can be picked up for $1200-1500 used.

car-part.com

Put a TH400 behind it and you can beat on it with no worries....

I have thought about that swap for my Malibu more than once and getting rid of this combo I have in it now.

LS1 and truck computers are the same. They are tuned with LS1 Edit or HP Tuners for the most part. Many people making 1000rwhp on stock computers with forced induction. Obviously BS3 or a FAST would be preferred... but not necessary.

Here is a quick little 5,000lb AWD truck:
408ci LSx motor (6.0 iron block, 4" stroker crank, good rods/pistons)
AFR 225 out of the box heads, mellow hydraulic roller cam, 5.3 intake manifold, ported stock TB, stock 6.0 truck exhaust manifolds and initially a T-88 turbo. Made 1000rwhp/1090rwtq! 4L80E tranny has never failed either with lots of passes. Only parts to fail where the stock uJoints on the driveshaft for the most part!!! He runs a Megasquirt fuel management system.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542864

He is now running twin T-70 turbos I believe and homebuilt headers from s/s pipe fittings!!!

yea ive seen that truck before, amazing

might look into the 5.3 now, looks interesting, i do believe i would be envied if i happen to have one with a turbo on it :cool:

SPOOLN said:
I would think that newer 3800 seriesV6 would have a solid bottom end with cross bolt mains. Hook up a fast system and you be ready to roll.

It would be nice if it were that easy. :) From what I remember there are issues as far as turning the motor around to face RWD. Evidentally getting a trans to bolt up is a problem area too.

DCVING 6 said:
It would be nice if it were that easy. :) From what I remember there are issues as far as turning the motor around to face RWD. Evidentally getting a trans to bolt up is a problem area too.

thats why i'd be getting one out of an fbody so its already set up for rwd and the pcm is already tuned for that purpose.

Any thing else i should be concerned about? Other than motor/trans mounts and wiring would there be any other mods i would have to do just to get it to run right? Fuel pumps, radiator and so on?

Also what is a fast system?

Verz said:
thats why i'd be getting one out of an fbody so its already set up for rwd and the pcm is already tuned for that purpose.

Any thing else i should be concerned about? Other than motor/trans mounts and wiring would there be any other mods i would have to do just to get it to run right? Fuel pumps, radiator and so on?

Also what is a fast system?

I would think fabrication of headers would be a pretty big project/expense unless you are a good welder.

fast system (Fuel Air Spark Technology) is a stand alone fuel/engine management system.

Back