Hydroboost conversion driving me crazy (Guru’s?)

It's not an inexpensive undertaking.
Think I'm into it for the Wilwood stuff for close to 1 grand +/- $
Don't forget to add in the cost of The PSC Power Steering Fluid Reservoir , Modified PS Pump for Higher Pressures needed for HydroBoost from Sweet Mfg, De Rale Power Steering Cooler, extra AN fittings & lines etc, it all adds up.
Glad that I was able to perform the change over and brake work needed on my own.

Here's a link:
https://www.tallonhydraulics.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=54_76

& the adjustable proportioning valve was extra $
I got them both from Butch as Talon Hydraulics (now Vintage Speed Reaper)

https://www.tallonhydraulics.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=54_76

A small price to pay for your safety!
Hands down best braking I've ever experienced. :)
How do you plumb in the power steering cooler? Hydroboost is the only brake system I feel safe with in in my car.

Great system, we installed one on my car 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How do you plumb in the power steering cooler? Hydroboost is the only brake system I feel safe with in in my car.

After consulting with De Rale about the best performing PS cooler for my use.....I ended up going with one of these.

https://www.jegs.com/p/Derale/Derale-Frame-Rail-Mount-Transmission-Coolers/1335927/10002/-1
I chose the 13-3/4" model only because my external transmission cooler occupied some real estate , otherwise I would have chosen the largest model which is 20-3/4" OAL.

Mounted it on the drivers side lower edge of the radiator core support which allows air to pass thru once under way.

I went with AN connections and used -6 push lok fittings and hose for the win!

The cooler definitely helped to reduce my PS fluid temperatures significantly 25+ degrees or more
Will try to post some pics of it installed

Attachments

• De Rale 13221 .jpg
    De Rale 13221 .jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 44
Thanks. I have a B&M cooler I'll use. I bought it 5 years ago for my BMW which I sold before installing it.

-6AN 90 out of steering box and into de rale power steering cooler and then returns into my PSC reservoir.
Push lok fittings and 300psi related -6 hose

Cool mod. And I apologize I did not use the Hydratech kit I used the Tallon kit. Awesome kit

I installed a Hydratech hydroboost at least 5 years ago. No cooler and no issues. What temps are you seeing that requires a cooler? Is a cooler only needed for auto crossing?

I installed a Hydratech hydroboost at least 5 years ago. No cooler and no issues. What temps are you seeing that requires a cooler? Is a cooler only needed for auto crossing?

GNRick,
PS Cooler may possibly be overkill? Dunno
My maiden voyage just around the block and on ramp to the highway and short jaunt back home netted me PS fluid temps of around 192deg F to 194deg F. This was relatively straight line driving with a few stop lights (basically an easy non taxing drive).
I was concerned that a spirited drive through the twists and some hard stops with brakes would result in considerably hight fluid temps.
I am aware that most modern power steering systems in todays cars operate around 220deg F + & that synthetic PS fluid would handle the high temperatures typically experienced in racing much better without breaking down.
A conversation with the folks at PSC told me that my fluid temps should not be more than 150deg F to 160deg F. If a lot higher than 170's, they felt I had air in the system or some other issue. Since these guys are experts with HydroBoost systems used on Desert Racing Trucks...figured they knew more than me .
The location of the PSC PS reservoir in our cars is not the best as it's precariously close to the drivers exhaust header and exposed to high temps and I figured this would be a contributing factor in what I was experiencing.
Aluminum should dissipate heat , however where its located, doesn't have much of a chance to do this.

I did speak with another HydroBoost expert....Butch @ Talon Hydraulics (now Vintage Speed Reaper) . He did not share the same concerns as PSC with my 190deg +/- fluid temps.

I installed my PS cooler on the lower edge of the rad support where it would be exposed to moving air & changed over to Sweet Mfg - Valvoline Pro V synthetic PS fluid and re-bled the system once again.

This time my test drive was a lot more spirited and included lots of turns and hard braking.
Laser gun showed PS fluid temperatures in the low 170's.

I"m happy with the net results....was it necessary....probably not (but I'd rather be safe than sorry), peace of mind for me.

Attachments

• Sweet Mfg -Valvoline Pro V Power Steering Fluid.jpg
    Sweet Mfg -Valvoline Pro V Power Steering Fluid.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 33
  • De Rale Frame Rail 2 pass Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    De Rale Frame Rail 2 pass Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 32
I’ve had hydro boost for 15+ years with no problems but now my steering gear is leaking like crazy. I got a new steering gear from GNS Performance and will be installing a cooler. Overkill probably but an easy mod that can only help.

I used the PS flush sold by PSC prior to installing my HydroBoost system to ensure 30 years of crud in the steering box was thoroughly flushed first. If you don’t have one, You should have a filter installed in your PS system . My PSC Ps Reservoir has one , but if you don’t have the PSC unit, an inline filter should be installed

I have the PSC reservoir. I should have said I had my hydroboost 15+ years and over 100k miles on it!

You should have a filter installed in your PS system . My PSC Ps Reservoir has one , but if you don’t have the PSC unit, an inline filter should be installed

Why? I'm pretty sure there isn't a filter in any of the millions of Hydroboost setups in gm trucks. I guess if you are monitoring it and have the sense to change it periodically/regularly. Other wise I would think it could restrict the flow causing more damage than not having it.

As far as a cooler goes, I have been looking at this one. But I haven't pulled the trigger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-20...Steering-Pump-Oil-Cooler-918-319/192398652451
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Why? I'm pretty sure there isn't a filter in any of the millions of Hydroboost setups in gm trucks. I guess if you are monitoring it and have the sense to change it periodically/regularly. Other wise I would think it could restrict the flow causing more damage than not having it.

As far as a cooler goes, I have been looking at this one. But I haven't pulled the trigger.

Looks like a nice cooler, I'm sure it will do the trick quite nicely.....I wanted to use AN fittings, so went with the Derale unit.

The main purpose of the inline filter as far as I can see is to prevent any crud from the steering box mess up your hydroboost system. Low pressure drop filters should be available.

I sent Hydratech poctures and a video and they figured it out. The stock system has the front brakes on the rear chamber of the master cyl. The Wilwood is designed to have the front brakes on the front chamber. I had the lines in the incorrect order for this brake system. Flipped the lines and re-bled. No more issues.

Which line is for front brakes, larger one ?

I sent Hydratech poctures and a video and they figured it out. The stock system has the front brakes on the rear chamber of the master cyl. The Wilwood is designed to have the front brakes on the front chamber. I had the lines in the incorrect order for this brake system. Flipped the lines and re-bled. No more issues.

When I did the conversion, I spoke with a tech at Wildwood and was told that the line location "Front/rear" and "Left/right of the MC" doesn't matter.
Glad that fixed your issue, but that is strange for sure.