Hypereutectic pistons are they ok for street/strip?

turbo1962

Pulled motor this week to install roller cam and ported heads. Thought while i was their i would replace the rings and bearings. went to machine shop to order parts.found out my motor was .030 over with seal power stock replacement pistons #504p machine shop said they would not last long at 25# of boost. so they say i need some speed pro hyperutectic pistons. they would last longer is that a good choice??? :confused:

Pulled motor this week to install roller cam and ported heads. Thought while i was their i would replace the rings and bearings. went to machine shop to order parts.found out my motor was .030 over with seal power stock replacement pistons #504p machine shop said they would not last long at 25# of boost. so they say i need some speed pro hyperutectic pistons. they would last longer is that a good choice??? :confused:

i am sure you will get tons of yes and no's but yes they will work fine for up to 40lbs of boost at 40lbs of boost they will not last long but they will be fine at 25lbs

:confused: Chances are the ones in your engine are hyperutectic alloy. You would be better off with forged pistons. Sealed power has std, .030, 0.40 on the shelf ready to ship. Hypers are great but tolerate very little detonation. I wouldnt personally use them in a high output turbo engine. Therefore they are a bad choice imo

I've got 2 sets of forged .030 pistons right now and only need 1 of them. If you're interested then send me a PM. I could use the cash for my build.

if your looking for a well priced alternative , check out these Probe 2618-T6 Forged pistons for $347.00 (if you look hard you can find them cheaper . I've seen them go for $300-$320 a set ) . :) I had a set on my shelfs and actually had the chance to inspected these pistons up close , and they are VERY nice !!! IMO I would put them close/par in quality to a off the shelf Buick JE piston (both companys use the same cnc machines according to a person from Probe) . They are set up and designed to run a little tighter in the bores vs others . so pay close attention when installing them . :)

CNC-Motorsports.com is your resource for High Quality, Hi-Performance auto parts from industry names you trust. Buick

Attachments

• IMG_0001_18.jpg
    IMG_0001_18.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0003_2.jpg
    IMG_0003_2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_0002_3.jpg
    IMG_0002_3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0001_17.jpg
    IMG_0001_17.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 544
if your looking for a well priced alternative , check out these Probe 2618-T6 Forged pistons for $347.00 (if you look hard you can find them cheaper . I've seen them go for $300-$320 a set ) . :) I had a set on my shelfs and actually had the chance to inspected these pistons up close , and they are VERY nice !!! IMO I would put them close/par in quality to a off the shelf Buick JE piston (both companys use the same cnc machines according to a person from Probe) . They are set up and designed to run a little tighter in the bores vs others . so pay close attention when installing them . :)

CNC-Motorsports.com is your resource for High Quality, Hi-Performance auto parts from industry names you trust. Buick

Probe is a good piston for someone on a budget but, they don't compare to JE pistons. Probe's usually take a little work to balance out a set. Never had to grind on a set of JE pistons.

Probe is a good piston for someone on a budget but, they don't compare to JE pistons. Probe's usually take a little work to balance out a set. Never had to grind on a set of JE pistons.

Cme2fly I'll have to take your word on that because I never physically balanced a set . dollar for dollar vs JE's IMO they are a great deal . My builder was impressed with them when I brought in a set for him to check out . he was expecting much less for the money . I think for a car that see's mostly street miles with a few good visits to the track in a season they are ideal for the money . if I had to make the choice between a 4032 forging or a Hyper I'd take the Probes for the money . :)

Pistons

The JEs already come balanced, the speed pro forged have been a good deal as well.

I called the guy at CNC he said the probe was better than the sealed power/trw /speed pro because of the weight.JE's were 487.00. would you be able to tell a power gain over the lightweight piston?

Qwikr 1 - Hey what connecting rods did you use with the Probe Pistons?
mfg, rod length....

Thanks,

I had a set of stock length Scat H Beams from CNC Motorsports . same rods I suggested to "just a 6" when he mentioned to me he was looking for a set of rods for a project . Very nice set of rods for the $$ . Never had a chance to put it together sold assembly it to a board member . By the time you figure out what it cost to upgrade a set of 20+ year old stepped on stressed out stock rods . These Scat rods are a deal at $359 IMO . if you look around you may find them cheaper .
:)

CNC-Motorsports.com is your resource for High Quality, Hi-Performance auto parts from industry names you trust. Buick Grand National 3.8L Scat 4340 H Beam Rods

Hey Kwikr 1...Did your Probe pistons come with rings? I need rings for mine.

No...just pins and locks . You can put on a set of SpeedPro's or any other decent make (JE , Total Seal , etc ) . just make sure you get a 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring set for the Probes . :) contact whoever you bought the pistons from , I'm sure they can fix you up . just tell them it's for a turbo application so you get a Plasma Moly ring set . chances are they will be a file fit as well .