IAT sensor relocation question.

robertf

I recently installed Earls 3.5 MAF kit so I needed a shorter K&N. With nowhere to really reinstall the IAT sensor, can it be installed on the flat surface of the front of the new K&N. No it's not in direct path of airflow but it should be able to read some. Any pros/cons to this idea? It's been laying on the fenderwell and I have'nt noticed any changes but I know it needs to be correct. Thanks.

Using a hard tube to go between the filter and MAF, or the MAF and turbo inlet?

Drill/tap a hole in that and screw it in.

Is there any downside to "not" installing the IAT in the inlet tube assm? I've noticed on other vehicles the IAT mounted outside in the open. It was mounted below the grill on my NSX.
Mine has been just laying next to the fenderwell for a couple of months now with no real adverse issues that I've noticed. I hoped to mount it close to a fresh air inlet somewhere under the hood.
What can be the downside? Thanks.

Not much. It's only really used to adjust fuel for cold start if you're still using the stock computer.

When I had an LS1 MAF pipe I drilled a hole in the top of the K&N filter and put it there.

When I had an LS1 MAF pipe I drilled a hole in the top of the K&N filter and put it there.
Yeah my old K&N was drilled for it but the new filter I'm using with Earls 3.5 kit doesnt allow. I'm just hoping to not drill any more than necessary.

I long is your filter??? I, too, use one of Earl's pipe kits and I have a 14" long filter. Your MAF should be real close to where the A/C lines curve towards the compressor which leaves a bunch of room for huge filters.

Is your charcoal canister still in place by chance?

To answer your original question, if the filter is under the hood and the IAT is close to it, you're fine. I think that sensor has very little to do with fueling on modern chips.

Not much. It's only really used to adjust fuel for cold start if you're still using the stock computer.

no, its not even used for that. With stock-maf chips it is used to correct the MAF reading based on the temperature. With extender chips that correction is zero'd out since the late model MAFs don't have the temperature issues the stock one had. You can likely just tuck it out of the way and ignore it, unless you want valid info on your scanmaster/datalog.

The end of the filter is a good spot. I have used the neck of the filter when there is room, or the coupling hoses.

Bob

I put my IAT sensor out by the front grill. To check the outside temperature in case I need my jacket when getting out. The car runs good too