idiot lights ->Grand prix dash w/gauges

84buickregal

So over the weekend i ve started the process of swappin my 85 grand prix dash into my turbo regal. Here' s the thread on the swap: View topic - Grand Prix Dash swap • GBodyForum.com - '78-'88 GM G Body Community

Here's the issue, the harnesses for all or most of the accessories between the two cars are completely differant. I'm particularly concerned w/ the speedo & tach harness converting to the functional guages in the grand prix.

Questions
1. Is it as simple as a lil cut & splice job or are there issues since the grand prix runs seperate functional guages and the buick only runs the lame indiot lights? Or am i thinking too much into this & its simply the same signal in the back and a different display in the delivered informtion?

2. what aftermarket guages(speedo & Tach) is everyone running, especially those who had a guage panel w/idiot lights?

3. how do you install/wire in door speakers into you udio system in a car that never had any?

4. My boost guage has a white wire coming out of the back of it, i cant remember where it goes, does anyone know?

5. My rear interior 1/4 panels have provisins for lamps, how do you wire them into the main harness so they come on w/ the switch or when the door opens.

a few answers

as far as door speakers goes its just grunt work of routing speaker wire thru kick panel and door boot you want to remove door panel trust me makes easier to pull wire, boost gauge white wire is probably light for gauge if so just tie into gray wire at back of radio if you cant tag car wire somewhere else, rear lamps pretty simple 1 wire will need 12v constant power and other wire tie into white wire at kick panel light if no light find white wire at back of door pin switch either side, also you can get 12v constant out of fuse box if needed hope it helps

Im tryin to merge the harness of my regal & the grand prix. So i chopped off both extensions/ports w/e 2 merge them but i cant figure out which wires co together.
The regal has:
1 green
1 brown
1 light grey
1 pink w/black stripe
1 black
1 white
1 grey w/black stripe
1 black w/white stripe

does anyone know what wire is what?

you can use the Regal wiring for the gauges with the GP dash gauges by getting the proper sending units from the GP.

okay here are blurry pics(sorry no fancy phone) of the two differant harnesses: the 1st pic is the Grand prix harness & the 2nd pic is the regal's. This harness is the assecory guages, fuel, volt, temp & oil. Can anyone help me match up what goes with what?

Later on as money provides i plan to run after market guages by autometer. If i go this route would i bypass the factory harness or would i still need to use it?

Attachments

• grandprix harness.jpg
    grandprix harness.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 197
problems

So i think i have some problems, seems like some of the wires i need to match up from the regal connector to the grand prix connector are in a different harness.

The whole c1 & c2 connector label is confusing me, so for now ill reffer to them as main speedo harness & smaller assec harness.

My main regal harness has :

Here are their positions and # in the connector
yellow/black-9
light green-18
dark blue-17
pink/black-15
grey-10
black-11
white-16
pink-6
black-8
sky blue-7
tan-5
dark green-4
brown-3
tan-2
pink/black-1
12-14 are empty

Smaller harness
pink/black
grey
white
brown
l.green
black
grey/black
black/white

Seems like i might be rippin some harness apart

Here are their positions and # in the connector
yellow/black-9
light green-18
dark blue-17
pink/black-15
grey-10
black-11
white-16
pink-6
black-8
sky blue-7
tan-5
dark green-4
brown-3
tan-2
pink/black-1
12-14 are empty

This is C1. I'm working on scanning some stuff for you.

Take a look and see if these help

Attachments

• C1_0001.pdf
    256.5 KB · Views: 61
  • boosttach.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 62
Ahhh yes BlackBandit, those help tremendously! They also delivered some bad news: The realization that the wires in the Regal's c1 harness are different & do different functions than the G.Prix c1 harness!!!

For example in the assec harness(c2) for the grand prix there is a pink wire for fuel, but in the buick the fuel is in the c1. also the buick is wired for boost, so I plan to wire boost seperatly. Later ill be asking how to hook up the boost guage(mechanical),

If you have the harness from the GP I would just build a jumper harness to put things where they need to go. I tried to find some schematics for the GP but had zero luck. Let me know if I can do anything else.

Here is a high resolution graphical representation. (it may not be to scale)

Attachments

• harness.bmp
    37.6 KB · Views: 100
I do have the harness for the grand prix but it is badly butchered and pretty incomplete. Not much is left of it. I will give caspers a call 2moro tho maybe he sells a jumper harness?

Functional boost guage

so i got the boost gauge wired in, used the wires for the cig lighter. Soes anyone know how to run the vacume line to the turbo?