If you had 1 noisy lifter...

bluegate

Would you reduce preload on all of them before replacing them? I read an old post by bison where he ran very little preload on cc 885s with little noise until after a pass. My noise is mostly at idle

My stuff,
CC 210/215 & cc lifters
Harlend sharp 1.6 rockers, 1/2 turn preload
Oil psi 20@idle

Last edited:
To be honest, i am not certain. They said no more than 1/2 turn from zero. So thats what i did. I spent a lot of time setting up my valve springs and ordered the correct push rods as well. Stock heads, bigger valves if that matters

885 comp roller lifter gets little to no preload.

What's the part number of the lifters you are running? 853?

Is it a lot louder at idle?

Rick

885 comp roller lifter gets little to no preload.

What's the part number of the lifters you are running? 853?

Is it a lot louder at idle?

Rick
Not sure of the # for the lifters themselves, came with the fresh shortblock that i got from a member here. I do have the cam card from comp though, see attached. At idle is most noticeable.
de20a324582c529ada99d21ee6121be5.jpg

I would take them all to 0 lash then give them a 1/4 turn past 0 and see how that sounds . Are your pushrods the correct length ? Read the bottom part about the rockers adjustment not being past 3 complete turns out
IMG_0587.PNG

I would take them all to 0 lash then give them a 1/4 turn past 0 and see how that sounds . Are your pushrods the correct length ? Read the bottom part about the rockers adjustment not being past 3 complete turns out View attachment 310164
Pushrods should be good. I spent a good amount of time measuring, and gave all numbers to Weber for pushrods. I did pay attention to the note on thread count and all were within their spec. Ill do the 1/4 turn as suggested.

20 threads per inch, that's .050" per full turn. With 1/4 turn you'll have about .012" preload.
What's the spec for your lifters? That's the question. If they are full travel lifters then .060" or more might be correct.

I just swapped in some Reduced travel Johnson lifters with .040" preload

Last edited:
Comp says in the directions 20 thou to 60 thou preload I'm pretty sure that one turn on the adjuster screw is 60 thou so 30 would be half turn

Last edited:
I would listen to these guys on the the preload adjustment please negate my previous statement of a 1/4 turn . I concur with these guys and think you should do at least 3/4 to a full turn past zero lash . The best part about your situation is it doesn't cost anything but your time and Alil work to try different lash adjustments :)

Will do. Now that I've been thinking about it, one valve sat more shallow in the head, placing it further from the rocker. Ill try to find that one and start there. Hopefully it dosent throw off the thread issue at the rocker

Will do. Now that I've been thinking about it, one valve sat more shallow in the head, placing it further from the rocker. Ill try to find that one and start there. Hopefully it dosent throw off the thread issue at the rocker

If you have adjustable rockers it does not matter if a valve is lower. Bring the lash to 0 then 1/2 turn.
I have never gone 3/4 but you can try. The lifters are actually more stable on the loose side with higher rpm.

Will do. Now that I've been thinking about it, one valve sat more shallow in the head, placing it further from the rocker.

How much lower (and have your heads been rebuilt)? If it's a good chunk low and never been built, you might have a bent valve.

Heads are fresh stockers with bigger valves from a member here. I noticed the small height difference when i put the straight edge on it. Didnt measure it because i am broke and wouldnt redo the heads anyway. If i had to guess, maybe .015+/-

Thats probably the cause of the tap though, right? I thought i adjusted that rocker for the height difference, but maybe not.

Thats probably the cause of the tap though, right? I thought i adjusted that rocker for the height difference, but maybe not.
Didn't you adjust each valve by feeling the pushrod? Spin the rod with fingers and when it meets resistance that's zero lash. Further turning of the screw adds the preload.
If you just made all the screw the same then that's why you have noise.

Good. Then one valve .012 lower would be a non issue. Not the source of noise.
Sure it's not a leaky exhaust header? They make a ticking noise lots of times.