Indiana Emissions

Grandnash87

Indiana. 87 GN. Failed emissions X 2. Blocked up the EGR, does this matter? Replaced the stock MAF with another solid piece. All stock. 65K miles. Failed with High hydrocarbons and CO. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

I put my car in diagnostic mode (paperclip in the a & b slots of the aldl) in Florida and passed with no cat.

Indiana. 87 GN. Failed emissions X 2. Blocked up the EGR, does this matter? Replaced the stock MAF with another solid piece. All stock. 65K miles. Failed with High hydrocarbons and CO. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

is it a ROLLER sniffer test in INDIANA ?

Where in Indiana do you live to need a emissions test?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Get the car plated as
A classic that way do don't have to get emissions . You have to get insurance from haggerty or such .($ 234.00 a yr for me in porter co, ) no emissions required .

How high? Is it even close?
Fuel, how old?
How high is your base fuel pressure.
I've always driven mine and sat in line with the A/c on full blast to heat up the engine.
What chip?

I have lived in Indiana 46 years. Where do you live that they check emissions? They done away with vehicle inspection in the 80's I thought

I think they still have it up in the north west corner around Gary.

if its a roller... pipe sniffer test ....

ask the operator if you can sit in the car ... ask them if they can run it up for 15-20 seconds in 2 gear( its okey if they get into boost too) to heat up the cat ... and then have them test it

usually if you ask nicely they will do this and more than likely when the cat gets heated it will pass

If you have an adjustable chip, reduce timing and it should pass. Tim

I've had to deal with the Indiana emissions test in Lake County twice. I passed with flying colors both times, even though my car was modified. For those who don't know, this is a test only done in a few counties in Indiana (Lake and Porter up by Chicago, maybe others). For our GN's, they put the rear tires on rolls, insert a sniffer into the exhaust, and drive the car at a certain speed (I think it was 25 mph). It's a simple test, but difficult to pass if you don't have the right stuff on the car.

Here is what I did to pass the test:

0. HC or CO can be caused by misfire. Make sure your spark plugs are good, wires are good, coils are good, etc. If the car is noticeably misfiring out the exhaust at about 25 mph, you will likely fail. Also, make sure your O2 sensor is in good shape - make sure you see lots of cross-counts on the scan master while you are driving.
1. In my case, I installed a brand-new catalytic converter. Having a new catalytic converter is 90% of the battle. The converter needs to be nice and hot when you take the test to ensure it's working efficiently, so go drive the car on the highway for a while before you take the test. Having the car hot will also help the O2 sensor be more active (especially if you are still using the stock non-heated sensor). In my case, I may have taken the converter off after the test and replaced it with a test pipe, but I can't remember for sure :) I went so far as to rev the engine while waiting in line to keep everything as hot as possible.
2. Re-enable the EGR system - This is usually needed to pass NOx. I burned a chip myself that would run the EGR valve in a stock way. If you are not failing for NOx, you might be able to get away with leaving yours blocked. Having the EGR blocked should actually help you with regards to CO2 and HC - surprised you failed on those and passed on NOx.
3. Disabled my MAF translator and installed a known good stock MAF. Sounds like you already did this.
4. I ran the test with about 2 gallons of E85 mixed with about 10 gallons of 93 octane. The E85 will help with CO and HC.
5. Are you still running a stock chip? If "yes", then doing the above should get you through the test. If you have a more modern chip, then set it up to do the following:
a. Change the fan turn-on temperature to be much higher, like 195 degrees. If you can't change this in your chip, then consider either unplugging the low-speed fan relay or controlling the fan manually. The hotter you can get the car, the less HC and CO it will produce. However, it may produce more NOx, so don't go overboard.
b. Make sure the chip is running the car in CLOSED LOOP at idle and under load. If it's running open loop, you are pretty much guaranteed to fail for HC or CO. That catalytic converter won't clean up much if the mixture isn't constantly changing from rich to lean under the command of closed-loop.

Hope this gets your through...

Mike

If the EGR is blocked off that is your problem. Unblock that and your will most likely pass.

Im not in Indiana, I'm in TX but the car should be exempt from the sniffer since it is 25 years old no matter how you insure the car.

Unfortunately, Indiana goes all the way back to 1979 or so on emissions tests in Lake and Porter County. It's BS, but what we live with.

Have to disagree with you on EGR. EGR's primary purpose is to reduce NOx. Introducing EGR into the combustion process actually makes combustion less efficient (reduces the peak combustion temperature which is what produces NOx), which produces more CO and HC. The fact that he is already passing on NOx but failing on HC and CO would lead me to leave the EGR system the way it is.

If he tunes things up and then passes HC and CO but then fails on NOx, that's when I would re-enable the EGR.

Mike

Unfortunately, Indiana goes all the way back to 1979 or so on emissions tests in Lake and Porter County. It's BS, but what we live with.

Have to disagree with you on EGR. EGR's primary purpose is to reduce NOx. Introducing EGR into the combustion process actually makes combustion less efficient (reduces the peak combustion temperature which is what produces NOx), which produces more CO and HC. The fact that he is already passing on NOx but failing on HC and CO would lead me to leave the EGR system the way it is.

If he tunes things up and then passes HC and CO but then fails on NOx, that's when I would re-enable the EGR.

Mike

I had to go back and look on my paperwork from a couple of years ago I couldn't pass because of the EGR being blocked and it was NOx numbers. My bad.

1979 that is just crazy.

guess i got lucky on my fresh rebuild ,i took it in after 1500 miles of break in no egr no charcoal can just cat and im no wear near stock,guy ran it for maybe a minute said your done wasnt even gonna finish the test passed like a 2013 car,on pump gas and no tricks,.;)