You can type here any text you want

Indy Balancer Timing Marks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Well I am trying to install my cam sensor in my motor which has an Indy Lites balancer on it and get it lined up properly. The problem is I have no idea how to read the marks on the balancer. I have some that are just

70________

and others are something like this

3_________

I'm trying to get to 10 BTDC to set the sensor but I have no idea where that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

???

Do you also have a stock balancer handy ? If so install it @ TDC then install the BMS hub to get TDC on it. You have to do a little math as the distance from TDC to 25 ATDC is a different length on the BMS because of the OD.

Do you also have a stock balancer handy ? If so install it @ TDC then install the BMS hub to get TDC on it. You have to do a little math as the distance from TDC to 25 ATDC is a different length on the BMS because of the OD.
I don't have a stock balancer as I bought this motor in boxes and that was not part of the package. I don't think I have a BMS hub either, this one is a real harmonic balancer with the elastomeric ring on the inside. It looks to be the same diameter as the stock balancer in how it's the same curvature as the stock plastic timing marker. I'd really just like to find 0 on it and be done. I was guessing that the 3 and 6 with a line between them was TDC but I don't know for sure.

Thanks,

I made a piston stop out of an old spark plug that let me positively find TDC. It was free, and it answered my questions about the accuracy and location of the TDC mark on my balancer.

John

A stop is the best way to do it, but you can get pretty close either just looking into the #1 spark plug hole or feeling the piston with a small screwdriver - at least close enough to see if any of your lines match up within an 1/8" or so. Use a breaker bar or long handled ratchet on a socket on the crank bolt for good control as you rotate the engine.

Back