Injector Duty Limit 50#MSD

bluegate

I first want to say this conversion to the Sportsman has been very easy, and my car idles and runs perfect from the very first start up with Cal. He has answered PMs, calls, Txts and mores code along the way

I have been trying to smooth out my graph with Cals help and it seems to be getting better. Today though, I got a Injector Duty code while trying to get my boost DOWN (3rd gear pulls). I really don't know where to go from here because I have made some changes, most notably with the wastegate arm and Lorenz boost controller. With the WG at 1/8" pressure and the Lorenz completely open, I was going north of 19lbs (not an alky car btw). To get the boost down I had to lengthen the rod to open the puck probably 1/4". This is when I got the code for the first time. I am not sure you have enough info yet so let me know what you think. I did not get a log on this run of course, but can if needed. Car runs fine otherwise. Thanks Brian

Stock block, crank, forged rods and pistons, girdle.
50# injectors, new TT fuel pump, filter, hotwire, 62psi at 19# boost
stock heads, ported, big valves
210/215 cam, 1.6 rockers
t44/31
Precision slic

Last edited:
I had to lengthen the rod to open the puck probably 1/4".
How this measurement taken?
Is this the load dimension on the actuator rod? IE: Rod is 1/8" short of a slip fit on the pin, and you lengthened it 1/4" from there? if so, the puck is off the hsg, and boost is still at 19???
Is the puck shaft free in the header flange? I had a similar issue.. wild boost spike, shaft galled, took it apart, reamed the bushing.. Worked fine for about 30 miles, and locked up again.

How this measurement taken?
Is this the load dimension on the actuator rod? IE: Rod is 1/8" short of a slip fit on the pin, and you lengthened it 1/4" from there? if so, the puck is off the hsg, and boost is still at 19???
Is the puck shaft free in the header flange? I had a similar issue.. wild boost spike, shaft galled, took it apart, reamed the bushing.. Worked fine for about 30 miles, and locked up again.
I am guestimating that amount. And let me clarify that the puck is open that much, or at least that is how much the arm is moving open.... the arm moves very freely when not under the pressure of the WG. Your saying that can bind under pressure only?

Cal was a little stumped with my graph because i had some weird spikes when boost was coming in around 3200 rpms, but fine up top.

Last edited:
Boost stays right at 17lbs with my puck off the wastegate. But i get the injector code at wot after about 3 seconds

Last edited:
Ive read alot on this site, and 50s should be fine for my combo right?
Wastegate is the 13lb from full throttle....

Last edited:
50 lb injectors are fine...but I wouldn't try pushing it past 18 PSI from a tuning standpoint. What's your IDC at 17 lbs?

50 lb injectors are fine...but I wouldn't try pushing it past 18 PSI from a tuning standpoint. What's your IDC at 17 lbs?
I didnt see the the idc number, just the error light on the edash. Im assuming its to tell you your maxed out?? Im sorry didnt have a chance to log this episode.

Why is the boost so high with a 13lb wg? Im trying to stay below 17lbs

I didnt see the the idc number, just the error light on the edash. Im assuming its to tell you your maxed out?? Im sorry didnt have a chance to log this episode.

I don't run XFI...but Cal should be able to tell you why it's kicking that code. You've got a boost controller in the mix. What happens if you run the turbo stock style or tuner style without the controller?

TREED! :D^^

Have you tried to take the controller out of the equation? If there's a 13# actuator in there, the boost should open the gate at 13 +/-.
Try putting air psi on the actuator, using shop air, and a low psi gauge set up. See if the actuator is really a 13#. Could be, you have the "hi boost" act?

I don't run XFI...but Cal should be able to tell you why it's kicking that code. You've got a boost controller in the mix. What happens if you run the turbo stock style or tuner style without the controller?
My next run was going to pull that controller out. Its open now. I closed it once and blew the hose off the intake at 1/3 throttle.

Went back and reread. You had to lengthen the rod. You have a HD actuator. Take the boost controller out and run it tuner style or stock style. Back the rod off till it only has about a 1/16 inch to slip it over the puck arm.

TREED! :D^^

Have you tried to take the controller out of the equation? If there's a 13# actuator in there, the boost should open the gate at 13 +/-.
Try putting air psi on the actuator, using shop air, and a low psi gauge set up. See if the actuator is really a 13#. Could be, you have the "hi boost" act?
I was thinking this. when i had a failsafe boost gauge on it, it is supposed to default to "spring pressure" but stayed at 17ish when i had it set to 17.3. Makes sense this is the wrong actuator.

Went back and reread. You had to lengthen the rod. You have a HD actuator. Take the boost controller out and run it tuner style or stock style. Back the rod off till it only has about a 1/16 inch to slip it over the puck arm.
"Stock" meaning with the oem selenoid? Either way, i think you guys are right. With a non pull, slip on fit i had around 19lbs. Ill test it today and let you know.

I wonder at what point does it throw that code? And is it dependant on what cal programs for my setup?

This was somewhat masked before because i had the innovate failsafe boost gauge set somewhere between 16.8-17.3. It says it defaults to spring pressure. It never went below my setting that now that i think of it.

Again, I don't run XFI. Let Cal know you have a HD wastegate. He could have an answer. I keep things simple for a reason. :)

Tested.

Wastegate starts to move around 11psi. I'll plumb it tuner style and see what happens.

I just saw this thread (sorry on vacation). Are you sure the code is an injector duty cycle code and not an overboost code? If it is inj d/c, that means the injectors are no longer pulsing and running at full 100%. You have enough injector for 450-500 rwhp. If you're not making that, I would watch fuel pressure closely under boost. This is a different problem than your boost problem, but the higher boost needing more fuel could be causing this.

I just saw this thread (sorry on vacation). Are you sure the code is an injector duty cycle code and not an overboost code? If it is inj d/c, that means the injectors are no longer pulsing and running at full 100%. You have enough injector for 450-500 rwhp. If you're not making that, I would watch fuel pressure closely under boost. This is a different problem than your boost problem, but the higher boost needing more fuel could be causing this.
No worries, I noticed you were out of town. I am going by the red dot that comes on next to "injector duty cycle" on the edash, so i wouldn't know the difference in this case.