inner fender color

They didn't come painted so I doubt there is a color code.

Most folks that are painting over them use some type of "Trim Black". I like the way SEM Satin Black looks but you never want use a power washer on those wheel houses once they've been painted.

Thanks, cleaning mine for repainting. they seem to be dark grey color. could also be faded somewhat as well.

They definitely are not a dark gray color unless they are extremely faded or someone else sprayed them. I contacted a guy on here that hydrodipped them with a carbon fiber effect and it looked great! I can look back for that info if you are interested.

The grey color is a combo of heat and ozone, dirt, etc, deteriorating the plastic.

yeh, they are very dirty and old. original never replaced. just trying to clean up engine bay while engine is out for upgrades. probably will clean and prep them then paint them with satin black or some type of trim paint. Thanks for the replies.

If you're going "Show Car", or even attempting to be the Show-N-Shine" big dog ...... You need to find a chemical resistant, quality urethane product. Then scuff and shoot the parts with it.

Why spend the time to prep and paint such difficult parts if some simple chemical agent, I.E. brake clean, carb/throttle body cleaner, simple green, that Purple Stuff or some other common agent will ruin your work when you least expect it too?

Call "Space Age" those guy can and will mix up what you need in an aerosol can...(or two or three..) or sell you a pint/quart of it.

Good luck to you!

Keep us informed on how it all goes, please.

When I had my engine out, I removed them. It's kinda a big job.

I took them out into the middle of the lawn and used one of those cheap Sears sandblasters and shot them (with real sand) from 12 or so inches away. Definitely need to wear safety gear when doing this. I was sure to keep the gun moving and the strokes nice and smooth, just like spray painting them.

When I was done I cleaned them nice with soap and water and a little Scotch-Brite. After I was done, I sprayed them with trim black from a distance. More like a misting really. I may have even did it again with fine mist of flat.

Anyway, when they were done, they looked bad-ass! And the paint stuck well. Never had any pealing or flaking.

This was more than 10 years ago. Sometimes I use towels and rags to mask them and give them another fine mist to darken them up a little. Never did I or do I lay the paint on in full coats.

But other than that, all is good.