Install of front springs

Heath

Elroyjr
Wanting to install 5658 front springs. Do I need a spring compressor for the removal of the old springs or install of the new springs? Or any other special tools?:confused:

yes- the springs are under alot of pressure and can seriously injure you ,you could even lock the springs in position with a chain & lock.

not for a mechanic or someone mechanically inclined with the proper tools-however safety first. not worth getting hurt over. i ve done it a couple time with a spring compressor and will be doing two more cars soon.

Basically, you must follow the instructions listed by ungn in the link. You don't have to separate the lower ball joint. Just disconnect from the frame. When you insert the new spring, and jack the lower arm into position with the floor jack, the problem is lining up the holes in the saddles with the holes in the A-arms, hence the "big screwdriver"/crowbar/prybar. It's much easier to do if you have a helper. Spring compressors are very dangerous.

I'm trying to locate this thread. Can't seem to find a step by step on this. Have a coil over Kit I need to install. Looking for detailed step by step.

Many thanks
If you are installing coil over only setup, you need to trim the upper spring pockets.

If you are installing coil over only setup, you need to trim the upper spring pockets.

thanks, the kit I bought makes no mention of this - will def verify. I did put off the install for about a month as I'm waiting for some reinforcing plates to go on the LCAs. Aldan American (manufacture of the kit I bought) is making some of these plates and is giving me some 1st production runs. The kit was several hundred less than competitors and the fit and finish look very good - just need the plates to make it 100%. Update to come with finished product.