Intake options

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
I've been planning a blow-thru conversion for a while now and I need to buckle down and get something done. I keep switching back & fourth between options and just want opinions.

3 options:

Option #1:
Ported 4bbl intake with Sniper EFI and distributor.Pretty much exactly what oddmonte did in this thread. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/suck-n-blow-monte.65513/

Pros: Should be easy to get going, can use distributor or cam sensor & coil pack
Cons: lack of detailed tuning capabilities? Have to make custom brackets for Alt/AC/Power steering (not a big deal) if I use distributor.
option1.jpg

Option #2:
Ported 4bbl intake with injector bungs welded on for SFI. Would use a Holley 4bb throttle body that has IAC/TPS/intake temp all built in. I could still use distributor and would use Megasquirt to control everything.

Pros: Tunability with megasquirt, can use distributor or cam sensor & coil pack. It would look cool!
Cons: have to buy intake & megasquirt and learn how to set up & configure. Have to make custom brackets for Alt/AC/Power steering if I use distributor
option2.jpg

Option #3:
Stock GN intake setup.

Pros: We know it work because it is just like everybody else already has. Can use stock accessory brackets & parts. Would still probably use megasquirt to run everything.
Cons: Can't use distributor so I would need coil pack or LS coils. People will see the engine and say "oh, it has a GN engine".
option3.jpg

I still have to get an EFI tank or inline fuel pump no matter what and start selling off excess parts. I have been waiting to get my long block built, but now I am considering just building the short block that is in the car. The low (like REALLY low) hot oil pressure is what scares me about that. Probably cam bearings since I didn't change those in the rebuild (1991).

I really should have planned this out better before buying parts....

Witch ever configuration you chose, I am interested in following a long. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I'm interested too. I'm been thinking about some similar for a while now. Even considered option 3. Problem with #1 and #2 is your halfway to #3 and then you might as well go all the way.

My latest thought is going in the opposite direction. Ditch the computer. Get '79 Q-jet and set it up for E85. Then use a standard HEI distributor with a J&S Safegaurd for knock protection. Set of good gauges and maybe a data recorder.

My thoughts are:
If going to a computer, it's pretty much injected. The ported injection can be pushed safer and farther, and the injector size can easily be adjusted.
With an ECM, timing control granularity is easier and closed loop function based on ambient and operating temps are beneficial.

There really is no wrong way and it really all depends on overall goals, targets, and budget.

My latest thought is going in the opposite direction. Ditch the computer. Get '79 Q-jet and set it up for E85. Then use a standard HEI distributor with a J&S Safegaurd for knock protection. Set of good gauges and maybe a data recorder.

Would you still keep it as a draw-thru with the stock intake & turbo setup? I considered it too, but our turbo sucks and so does the intake. I'm calling it a restomod of the engine.

I now have a lead on a complete 87 donor drivetrain too. I'm almost there with #3, but it would have all of the parts I am still missing.

I am so glad I changed mine and did away with the draw though setup. No regrets here, but there are better and cheaper ways to do it. What ever you guys chose to do I would go with a veritable timing setup over the HEI. Here is a picture of my setup.
20180626_191923.jpg

Attachments

• 20180626_191923.jpg
    20180626_191923.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67