intercooler leak

JDT

Would a leak in the intercooler cause my car to retard timing due to possible knock?

Not likely. Does the knock go away or does it continuously get worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure.. had some light front end damage from a deer.. insurance is paying for a new cooler

So are you asking out of curiosity or has it been knocking and pulling timing when you drive it. Sorry to hear about the deer, I’ve hit a few in two of my vehicles other than the Gn thank God!

Would a leak in the intercooler cause my car to retard timing due to possible knock?

If it leaks when on boost, I would think it would be fooling your MAF into thinking your flowing more air. Causing your computer to over fuel, making it run rich.

I only drove it from my house to the body shop. When I would give it 8 lbs of boost the scan master timing would retard some. In the cars defense I had some parts of the front end just hanging on by deer hair so maybe some false knock. Either way After I get it checked i might have a used front mount cooler up for sale. The only thing that seems to have taken damage is the top where the bolt goes in through the radiator support bracket. I wouldnt even say its bent just a little ding.

Take it off and pressure test it.

If the intercooler is punctured, under boost it is possible to get small aluminum shards in the combustion chamber and cause serious damage....I would not advise driving or starting it until you pressure check it. As far as your knock goes, it’s hard to point you in the right direction without seeing the damage done and more info on your combo. Has it done this before you hit the deer?

no it hasn't done it before the hit. I'll get the new cooler installed and pressure check the old one... there isn't any punctures

photo ... yes I know I need to clean the garage but I usually don't have this car in here.

Attachments

• 20180708_103541.jpg
    20180708_103541.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 110
I need the long piece that is circled still.. all other parts are being shipped. The small circle has the bolt the slightly bent the cooler and the reason I am getting a new one. If any have a lead on that missing piece I would love to buy a straight one.

Attachments

• 20180709_211443.jpg
    20180709_211443.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 80
all set on parts.. I think any issues I was having will work itself out with new cooler and repairs on car. if not I'll be back with more questions.

Right but I’m saying to check with Brian to see if he has the core support you need. I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to get one from him.

the person I bought the header panel from sent one for free. Also turns out the alky pump isn't working now after the hit. I think that might be my issue with the timing. Doesn't it replace fuel with alky? So that would make it just a bit lean. Anyway the pump is like 10 years old so over due on replacement. Intercooler passed pressure test on 20 lbs but still getting new since the bolt hole got tweaked.

the person I bought the header panel from sent one for free. Also turns out the alky pump isn't working now after the hit. I think that might be my issue with the timing. Doesn't it replace fuel with alky? So that would make it just a bit lean. Anyway the pump is like 10 years old so over due on replacement. Intercooler passed pressure test on 20 lbs but still getting new since the bolt hole got tweaked.

No it doesn’t replace the fuel, your injectors still have a big roll to play. First off you said it was knocking at 8#.....you don’t need alky to suppress detonation at that low of boost so I would say it’s not the pump unless you were above 15 or 16#. Second, get that pump rebuilt from Julio! Cheaper than a new pump and 10 years is way too long....he recommends a rebuild ever two years.