interior ideas

chuck jacobs

Will be replacing my interior in my 86 T-Type soon. Its all original from the factory.have been thinking about going back with the cloth or leather kit for seats and door panels. i know highway stars have the exclusive material which is close to original, but not quite right. I also have seen the leather kits from Jax seat covers which look good as well. Just trying to get ideas on this decision. I am the original owner of this car, and want to do it right when i replace it. What have you guys been doing for replacement interiors? any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks

I had some of these ideas on my T-Type total interior renovations. I did some of them. But not all.

-Embroidered headrest.

-Deleted the sun visors. Wear sunglasses.

-If you have a cage/roll bar, move the dome light forward so its not behind the the bar. Then get the better one with the 2 map lights.

-Mount the rear view mirror from the headliner (there is a metal mounting tab back there) and get one of those new style ones with all those funky new car options.

-Delete those damned trim strips and pull straps from the doors and move all the switches to the arm rest.

-Upholster the top part of the door upholstery in leather or vinyl so resting your arm on the window sill doesn't wear it out over time.

-Do away with those stupid coat hooks.

-Get rid of the ashtrays in the back of the seats.

-Do piping in a contrasting color.

-Remove clean and don't put back the carpet panels back to the lower doors.

IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG

sweet looking interior. Thank you for the ideas. I am not sure what i will do with mine. Do not want to change it too much, but will have to do something eventually.

I had some of these ideas on my T-Type total interior renovations. I did some of them. But not all.

-Embroidered headrest.

-Deleted the sun visors. Wear sunglasses.

-If you have a cage/roll bar, move the dome light forward so its not behind the the bar. Then get the better one with the 2 map lights.

-Mount the rear view mirror from the headliner (there is a metal mounting tab back there) and get one of those new style ones with all those funky new car options.

-Delete those damned trim strips and pull straps from the doors and move all the switches to the arm rest.

-Upholster the top part of the door upholstery in leather or vinyl so resting your arm on the window sill doesn't wear it out over time.

-Do away with those stupid coat hooks.

-Get rid of the ashtrays in the back of the seats.

-Do piping in a contrasting color.

-Remove clean and don't put back the carpet panels back to the lower doors.

View attachment 308730 View attachment 308731
Awesome good job!

One thing that always surprised me was how strong all of the other g body door handles were. I tried my best to destroy one in the junkyard and I gave up before it did. At one time there were going to be some aluminum strips to replace the trim strips and door pull handle on our GN's but I was told it was too costly to make. I got one of those nut plate kits to make the pull handle more robust. Nice interiors and those Frenched in tweeters (turbodean87) and the dual gauge bezel pod ( ny twin turbo) are really nice.