Intermittent Clunking sound when hitting brakes at low speed or tight turns.

wh1-Denver

I have an intermittent clunking sound at lower speeds when I hit my brakes or turn real tight. I have replaced all the front-end parts. I also have the triangulating front frame braces.
Thanks for the help

I've experienced this in another car, and I believe it was the bushings needing to be repaired.
It would clunk as soon as you hit the brake, then around turns, similar to what you're saying.

I put new control arm bushings in a month ago. I'll retorque them this weekend. What torque should I put on them? The tie rod ends were not replaced but they looked fine. I'll have the wife turn the wheels back and forth while I look at them. I had one of the front triangulating brace bolt strip out the where the two join under the motor. I replaced it with a larger thread bolt. I will check that also.
Thanks Guys

qwknuf6 jr
Is your name Mark? I'm the guy that bought the weber 206 off of you. I still have not installed it. I am waiting to get a set of heads first then I'll do it all at the same time. Could you email me the specs on the cam? I need them to select the right springs for it. Thanks

Calipers. Yeah that's what I said. My GN would make clunking noises sometimes when I hit a bump, and if I was on the brakes, they wouldn't. They also clunked sometimes when I hit the brakes. The O-rings in the calipers were all worn out. Just a guess. I've also had the upper control arm on the passenger side missing. Well, actually, it wasn't the whole control arm. It was just the bushing. Good Luck.

Brian

Originally posted by wh1-Denver
I put new control arm bushings in a month ago. I'll retorque them this weekend. What torque should I put on them? The tie rod ends were not replaced but they looked fine. I'll have the wife turn the wheels back and forth while I look at them. I had one of the front triangulating brace bolt strip out the where the two join under the motor. I replaced it with a larger thread bolt. I will check that also.
Thanks Guys

qwknuf6 jr
Is your name Mark? I'm the guy that bought the weber 206 off of you. I still have not installed it. I am waiting to get a set of heads first then I'll do it all at the same time. Could you email me the specs on the cam? I need them to select the right springs for it. Thanks

I use comp cam 941 springs ,I dont have the cam card for that one handy ,call Dave Weber 440-327-7702 he will be happy to help you select the springs
Mark

While your retorquing your control arms look very closely at the bushing itself.Why you ask?If you put the final torque on the fastener before you weighted the front end you can cause the isloator part of the bushing to break free from the housing detroying even urethane bushings.Always put the weight back on the suspension before Final torquing a bushing.Hope that helps,Good Luck

I know this sounds too simple, but check the top bushings on the front shocks.

Had that same noise a few days after changing front springs. I did not do a final torque on the shock connection.:eek:

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin