Is E-85 corrosive?

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Jun 18, 2001
Louisville, KY
blog.andrewdscott.com
It's hygroscopic.. Attracts water, which in turn, causes rust and...???
This is the issue. As long as you keep cycling fuel through it and don't let it sit and absorb water, E85 is fine.

But it's a great solvent. So if there's a bunch of crud in your fuel system, it'll strip it off the walls of the tank or the lines, and it ends up in the carb or the injectors. Change your fuel filter after the first few tanks if you switch from gas to E85.

The rubber it supposedly attacks has usually already been compromised, too. The difference is gasoline will swell a rubber line or gasket that absorbs it, sealing the leak. E85 just runs out through the holes.

turbo89

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
This is the issue. As long as you keep cycling fuel through it and don't let it sit and absorb water, E85 is fine.

But it's a great solvent. So if there's a bunch of crud in your fuel system, it'll strip it off the walls of the tank or the lines, and it ends up in the carb or the injectors. Change your fuel filter after the first few tanks if you switch from gas to E85.

The rubber it supposedly attacks has usually already been compromised, too. The difference is gasoline will swell a rubber line or gasket that absorbs it, sealing the leak. E85 just runs out through the holes.

THIS !!!

434nova

Sep 30, 2013
How long does e85 have to sit before it starts to absorb water? Week , month, 3 months ?

turbo89

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
How long does e85 have to sit before it starts to absorb water? Week , month, 3 months ?

Too many variables .. it can sit for 6 months and absorb 0 .... or it can sit for 2 weeks and absorb ounces

IF its treated it can sit for a long while with ZERO impact

No disintegrations

Dec 27, 2015
That would depend on if it sealed off from air and if the air has moisture in it. Humid summertime will be worse than cool dry air. A climate controlled garage would be a nice thing to have in the mix.

LSTTYPE

Dec 31, 2001
Eudora KS
I just pulled the tank on my Ttype that has been sitting for a year. The E85 looked very clean. Very clear. I did have Stable in it for what it's worth. I also tested it and it came out to E87

Reactions: broke

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
Mar 8, 2009
Woodridge, IL
I just pulled the tank on my Ttype that has been sitting for a year. The E85 looked very clean. Very clear. I did have Stable in it for what it's worth. I also tested it and it came out to E87
Did you test it before storing? Wonder if it gained a couple points like a fine wine. Don't think it works that way though. :)

LSTTYPE

Dec 31, 2001
Eudora KS
No unfortunately I did not. I've heard some members say that it slowly goes up in alcohol content but I ki da doubt that

Top Bottom