Is there a definitive guide to lowering a g-body?

TType84

cookin with propane
remember.. our cars are the same as the montes, etc.. is there a definitive guide to lowering a g-body onlien anywhere?

so far from here ive read that you can cut a coil or two on an f-body spring for the rears, but the fronts are still confusing.

can anyone give me a straight up answer with the springs i should need to get the car looking like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~nbx23/dropped.jpg

that is my car, photoshopped. I just want the top edge of the tire to be hidden by the wheel well.

for reference, right now my car is this high, and i hate it:

http://home.comcast.net/~nbx23/claybar/clay02.jpg

any ideas? i know a lot of this has been covered but i have a hard time understanding spring rate this, spring rate that, not to mention most of the info is spread over this whole forum, and not in one concise post.

if anyone could help, i'd really appreciate it. thanks guys.

I've about given up with the cut spring deals.

I currently have the 1 loop cut off from F Body front's and F Body cut rears. But, I really didn't like how the rears sit in the upper perch.

SO,
I went with the Jeg's coil-over conversion kit for the rear. I started out just doing min-tubs and the whole thing just got out of hand. BUT, the coil-overs are the best way of doing things.

They also have a coil-over conversion for the front, and if the backs work out as well as they look, I'll be doing them also.

Yep, insanely expensive, but at least the springs aren't going to fall out, or do anything else strange. And to change ride height is just a matter of spinning a wrench.

By the time you get some springs, and good shocks the coil-overs aren't really too much more. Thou you need to be able to do some welding to do the rear coil-overs.

How did you photoshop that? Looks great.

I had an '84 Monte Carlo and I cut a coil and a half off the front coils and a coil off the rears. Yes, it changed the way the top of the rear springs sit on the car but I never had a problem and the car looked great. I tried drop spindles ones and had all kinds of rubbing problems. In the future I would use drop springs in the rear and cut in the front.

IMO;) I don't recommend cutting the rear coils, I purchase lowered springs for the rear. On the front, I cut up to one coil, depending on how tall the free height is. I don't use the F-body spring because the load rate not being right.

so... considering i cant afford coilovers and i already have good enough shocks (bilstiens) .... is there a certain fbody drop spring i should look into?

Since (cents) you are already running Bilstiens, and you didn't state your intentions, ride or handling are a little of both, I would suggest a stock front spring and cut 3/4 to one coil. On the rear look into a TRW spring #5401. TRW, Dana, Perfect Circle, Napa are all the same #'s.

front
GN or T Type Front Load Rate load hgt. Free Hgt.
TRW # 5606 1530 lbs 420 14.637"

IROC Camaro
TRW # 5662 1690 706 13.149"

As you can see the Camaro spring is shorter. Wherein the load carrying isn't too bad, the rate load is very high. Global West and Hotchkis front springs are in the 550 to 600 lbs range, so that should tell you just how stiff 700 lbs is. Another problem with going too stiff on the front, aside from the hard ride, is the front will 'row'. This is similar to what the bow of a boat does going thru water, an up and down movement. It is small but noticeable, and the stiff Bilstiens will aggravate the problem. What is happening is, instead of absorbing the small dips and imperfections in the road, the front end follows them

REAR
All Regals
TRW # 5379 759 121 14.768"

My Choice
TRW # 5401 726 128 13.159"

As you can see, the 5401 is shorter by about 1.6" even before you install it. Doubt you will notice the difference in the load.

Hope this helps

:cool:

well, id love for my car to handle, but im pretty sure unless i set it up perfectly for cornering and spend a ton doing so, its not even going to come close to how well my friend's 01 SS handles, and considering that, id rather it just look nice.. handling just seems like its too lofty a goal for the lack of cash that i have :)

I will be selling an extra set of Belltech drop spindles, You can see the pics in my link to see what they look like , BTW I am using belltech springs in the rear. Also note I have 17" wheels so it brings the tire slightly closer to the fender than with 16"s

EIBACH

Eibach makes a couple of F/R spring kits for G-bodies.

One has approx. 1" drop, and the other approx. 2".

Excellent fit & finish, with very stable (not rough) ride.

HTH :)

Originally posted by TEST MY 6
I will be selling an extra set of Belltech drop spindles, You can see the pics in my link to see what they look like , BTW I am using belltech springs in the rear. Also note I have 17" wheels so it brings the tire slightly closer to the fender than with 16"s
THAT IS THE CAR!!! i saw a pic of your car from the side and it makes your wheels look like z06 wheels, that pic was one of my inspirations for lowering the car..

and two lane, i heard that a lot of people put the eibach kit on and it either did nothing or raised the car... because apparently their stock springs sagged a bit.. eibach's website says 1.0 drop front, .8 drop rear. thats not even worth it cause im sure my stock springs have sagged atleast that much in 130,000mi

to the guys who are selling parts, could you email me about them here:

threepointeight@yahoo.com