Is there anything out there like ATR Pitbull mufflers?

BuickMike

Money pit
I have a Hooker 2.5" catback and it uses what I believe are turbo mufflers. I've always loved the sound of the ATR Pitbulls, but never new until recently what made them so different. I've heard the Pypes mufflers and Magnaflows. They sound good, but not what I was hoping for. Check out this pic I found of the inside of the Pitbull. Does anyone else have anything similar? I'm half tempted to make my own.

pitbull-enlarged.jpg

I have a Hooker 2.5" catback and it uses what I believe are turbo mufflers. I've always loved the sound of the ATR Pitbulls, but never new until recently what made them so different. I've heard the Pypes mufflers and Magnaflows. They sound good, but not what I was hoping for. Check out this pic I found of the inside of the Pitbull. Does anyone else have anything similar? I'm half tempted to make my own.

View attachment 317088
Nope tough act to follow

Looks like just a straight through oval muffler, center in/center out. I'm sure you can find something similar in that design. I also have the Hooker 2.5" exhaust with the Aerochamber mufflers and may be looking to change the mufflers out as well for a little more sound.

Looks like just a straight through oval muffler, center in/center out. I'm sure you can find something similar in that design. I also have the Hooker 2.5" exhaust with the Aerochamber mufflers and may be looking to change the mufflers out as well for a little more sound.

Take a look at layout of the inside. A Magnaflow has perforated round holes the entire inside of the pipe. Pypes / Dynomax, and every other straight through look the same as the Magnaflow, but some have smaller holes. The pitbulls have what appears to be rectangular louvers cut into the pipe with lots of spaces in between them.

Take a look at layout of the inside. A Magnaflow has perforated round holes the entire inside of the pipe. Pypes / Dynomax, and every other straight through look the same as the Magnaflow, but some have smaller holes. The pitbulls have what appears to be rectangular louvers cut into the pipe with lots of spaces in between them.

I guess I'm not as particular when it comes to the perforations in the muffler if they make that big of a difference on sound. If it sounds good it sounds good IMO.

I had a pair of ATR pit bull aluminized mufflers on my GN back in the 90’s.
Great sound, unfortunately they finally blew apart in 2009. I went with a set of Aero Turbine mufflers. They are well made, straight thru with no packing. I really like the sound, really loud at WOT

the hooker uses offset muffs ..you cant use straight through mufflers with the hooker ..the tails wont line up where they should be

the hooker uses offset muffs ..you cant use straight through mufflers with the hooker ..the tails wont line up where they should be

Nothing I can't fix with a couple 30 degree bends. Not optimal, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I guess I'm not as particular when it comes to the perforations in the muffler if they make that big of a difference on sound. If it sounds good it sounds good IMO.

It actually makes a decent difference. I have swapped mufflers on other cars that had slight differences in them, but were still straight through. little things like length, case size, and even how the perforations are setup make quite a difference.

Pitbulls always had a certain sound that captured my attention. I just really like that sound.

Anyone have video of the violator on a tb?

Pypes violator.

Ahhh, those look like they may in the ballpark of what I'm looking for. Nick Micale has the Pypes exhaust on his car. His is the 3" which I believe comes with the Race Pros. I listened to them and it seemed like a nice sound with really low drone, but nothing like that ATR sound. Looks like the 2.5" TR exhaust comes with the violators standard. I'll go hit Youtube and see what I can dig up.

Pypes violator.
I installed the Pypes Violators last summer onto a Kenne Bell 2.5" stainless steel exhaust & love the sound. It seemed to flow much better with the straight thru design than the original mufflers & even felt like I picked up a little performance.

The mufflers on GN1's system look similar to the pitbulls but haven't heard one in person. RJC should start making them, their crossflow system was a copy of the ATR and sounds just like it.

The mufflers on GN1's system look similar to the pitbulls but haven't heard one in person. RJC should start making them, their crossflow system was a copy of the ATR and sounds just like it.
Hmm, I thought they were pitbulls on the GN1 system, only shiney and 3'. Am I to understand Pitbulls are no longer made?
I love my pitbulls.