Is this a good deal?

robocop75

A friend wants to sell me his 87 GN, which will be my first. All original, motor /trans never touched, no modifications, 90K miles, no accidents. 20 year old paint job,runs good, decent interior. He's wanting 15K. Does this seem like a good deal based on the limited information I provided? If not, what do you recommend I offer?

Thanks
Mike

All depends on overall condition. If the interior is in good condition, there's no rust and the paint is still good, as long as the engine and trans don't need a rebuild, $15k is very reasonable. Seriously, you can't get any decent muscle car for anything near that. BUT, if it needs paint, that could run you some serious $$$$ today to be done 'right'. Pictures would really help and I'm sure you'll get many different opinions, so I guess the bottom is if YOU really like the car, go for it. The last "local" GN I looked at for that price needed a LOT of work and $$$$ to be anywhere near decent. Also, where do you live? I'm sure someone on the board would be happy to look at it with you as it's ALWAYS better to have someone who knows these cars look at it also. Good luck.......

it is pretty rare to get one from original owner ..with a true history..that hasn't been messed with..seems like a decent deal to me.but id never pay what someone is asking have get some money off of it LOL....you already know if you want it or not LOL...many things can be fixed or rebuilt...but rust is a PIA and not worth the time ..money..or aggravation...do you research on these cars ...on here...vortexbuicks.com...gntype.org..learn as much as you can ....

What's amazing is look at some of the cars on here (really nice ones) and the reasonable prices asked and they sat for a long time. If everything is kosher its not a bad price but bet if you shake 13k cash in his face it disappears and you have a car. Depends on how bad he wants to get rid of it. Always good when the 2 parties walk away satisfied.
I like the all original and never in an accident from the guy who bought it new. Paint, bet something could be done to make it look better if its a bit rough, unless it's going on the show circuit.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

Here is my opinion.
If he really is considered a friend on this 2 way street, he is giving you what he thinks is a fair price, and you shouldn't ruin a friendship by beating him down. The biggest issue with these cars is the history what was done, especially if you are new to these cars. It can take a long time and a lot of money to fix F***-ups.

When is the last time any of you saw a GN at a show or driving around, other than your own or the friend you hang out with? $15k all day, if it runs and looks decent.

Good luck.

Here is my opinion.
If he really is considered a friend on this 2 way street, he is giving you what he thinks is a fair price, and you shouldn't ruin a friendship by beating him down. The biggest issue with these cars is the history what was done, especially if you are new to these cars. It can take a long time and a lot of money to fix F***-ups.

When is the last time any of you saw a GN at a show or driving around, other than your own or the friend you hang out with? $15k all day, if it runs and looks decent.

Good luck.

If you can't use your friends who can you use. :LOL:
He said its a friend, not a good friend so that leaves some wiggle room and still respect him in the morning. :eek:

A friend wants to sell me his 87 GN, which will be my first. All original, motor /trans never touched, no modifications, 90K miles, no accidents. 20 year old paint job,runs good, decent interior. He's wanting 15K. Does this seem like a good deal based on the limited information I provided? If not, what do you recommend I offer?

Thanks
Mike
If the car is in good shape yes

Here is my opinion.

Good luck.
14500 and a steak dinner if he's your friend :p

Good luck.
I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 last year actually driving on the road. Seen a few at cruise nights also. Seems like there's less and less every year. Sure wish he had a pic of this car, but yea, $15k is 1977 Firebird Esprit money. You can't buy jack anymore for $15k........

and make sure the bill of sale says sold for 1K LOL

And shirk his responsibility of paying sales tax! Say it ain't so Joe! $1k for an 87 Buick, not even the clowns at DMV would question that. :D
And another with the actual price when DMV shows it stolen. o_O

That fake BOS shit doesn't work here.
It's book value. And, 1 look at the VIN tells them this is not a $1000 Regal.....

That fake BOS shit doesn't work here.
It's book value. And, 1 look at the VIN tells them this is not a $1000 Regal.....
I was joking to an extent :sneaky:..but they do go by what ever you put on the BOS and title.. and DMV requires their form ...here in floordugh...IIRC...also require a vin verification on antiques by policeman..or DMV worker...anything 30 yr older consider antique ...