ISAC 2.0

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
Okay alcoholics, we are kicking around the idea of doing another run of the "ISAC."

Who would be interested?

What changes or improvements would you like to see?

For those that do not know, the ISAC was ahead of its time as a stand alone Alky controller with a boost controller. After all these years I found some are still being used and are considered one of the best units out there still...

Post up, let me know your thoughts.....

It would be nice to variable alky output based on MAT.

Also be nice if it could lower boost if alky pressure drops.

Rick

Last edited:
Some ideas.

Boost Control:
Waste gate duty cycle selectable based on RPM, interpolates between selected points with closed loop trim.
Turn on and off based on RPM and MPH for dialing launches.
Selectable launch duty cycle.

Alky Control:
Adjustable map for RPM and Manifold pressure.
Pump pressure compensation.

Could it use the serial data from the Powerlogger for a single wire input as an option, then out put to scanmaster?
Plug and play harness option, no splicing if user wants to buy the upgrade.
Data logging capability.

I've been thinking about if this is possible with XFI or not, I haven't done any research on it but a nice feature would be if alky psi falls below a certain amount at a certain amount of boost (could be configured in a table?) then the car would shut off. kind of like how the xfi has fuel/oil cutoff capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A built in screen, kinda like a Boost Leash, would be amazing.

I have to think with all the phones and small tablets running around, small screens can't be too incredibly expensive. To somehow give the controller a screen and be able to make adjustments on the controller itself (with provided push buttons) would really tap into not only the alky controller market, but a lot of the boost control market as well.

It would be nice to variable alky output based on MAT.

Also be nice if it could lower boost if alky pressure drops.

Rick

not sure on the MAT parameter, you talking about MAT downstream of the nozzle? Thats gonna get drowned. If you're talking about MAT upstream of the nozzle, since we won't know the MAT downstream how will you know if its tuned right..... :)

The ISAC has built in window switch functions, and safety thresholds. So thats already covered.

isac-config.png

not sure on the MAT parameter, you talking about MAT downstream of the nozzle? Thats gonna get drowned. If you're talking about MAT upstream of the nozzle, since we won't know the MAT downstream how will you know if its tuned right..... :)

The ISAC has built in window switch functions, and safety thresholds. So thats already covered.

View attachment 303549

how do the safety features work? sorry, I haven't used this system before. would something like this be possible with xfi?

Some ideas.

Boost Control:
Waste gate duty cycle selectable based on RPM, interpolates between selected points with closed loop trim.
Turn on and off based on RPM and MPH for dialing launches.
Selectable launch duty cycle.

Alky Control:
Adjustable map for RPM and Manifold pressure.
Pump pressure compensation.

Could it use the serial data from the Powerlogger for a single wire input as an option, then out put to scanmaster?
Plug and play harness option, no splicing if user wants to buy the upgrade.
Data logging capability.

for boost control its closed loop, although with the gain set to 0, it becomes dutycycle control. There is RPM, Gear, and Time, so you can really contour the boost curve.

The alky is trimmable the same way, and can be closed loop based on the wideband. There is no pump pressure compensation at the moment.

serial data is an interesting idea. The ISAC does datalogging, but not internally (there's another idea)

isac-boost.png
isac-alky.png

how do the safety features work? sorry, I haven't used this system before. would something like this be possible with xfi?

there are window switch functions that can be set to any of the inputs. I have also added a fuel pressure correlation function (was part of the development of the EPiC unit) that watches the fuel pressure vs the MAP pressure to make sure the pump(s) are keeping up.

as far as how to configure an XFI, thats a whole different thread.

B

View attachment 303549

I guess its 6 of 1 or half a dozen of another. MAT rise and pressure drop would both happen if there was a problem. No?

since the MAT sensor would be pretty drowned, I'm not sure how fast it will react. AFR would definitely be an indicator, as well as pressure (if you are talking engine protection limits)

I would be in for an ISAC. Looks like it does everything.

since the MAT sensor would be pretty drowned, I'm not sure how fast it will react. AFR would definitely be an indicator, as well as pressure (if you are talking engine protection limits)

Roger that. I was talking engine protection.

I have the ISAC, but the instructions manual says that I have to toggle the gears up each time. How about just a single input that represents 3rd and fourth gear. Just like the MAFT Pro.

you can use the gear input as a constant gear input. connect the 3rd gear switch, as it is on in 3rd and 4th.

Bob

Yellow/Green – Mode/Gear/Arm. This wire serves 5 purposes.
- Gear sensor. This is a linear based input for what gear you are in (Not currently implemented) - Gear shift. Ground this wire to upshift one gear on the boost controller. - Gear switch. Open circuit or voltage puts the boost controller in first gear. Grounding the wire puts the boost controller in second gear. - Stage mode. Grounding this wire puts the controller in stage mode, which resets the timer on the boost controller and activates the stage boost level. - Alcohol flow. For use with an alcohol flow monitor. This allows another method of protection when utilized.

Gear switch. Open circuit or voltage puts the boost controller in first gear. Grounding the wire puts the boost controller in second gear.

connect it to the 3rd gear switch circuit, then set the mode to "gear switch"

Bob