Knock or rattle sound ...help

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
My engine failed from timing chain gear teeth falling off, then locking up the oil pump.broke teeth on cam,stoped up engine with debris.took apart engine and installed new cam,lifters,valve springs,cleaned out oil pan,new oil pick up tube,oil pump rebuild....tryed to start ,but no oil pressure...found stoped up oil cooler...duh.
Like a dummy, I back flushed cooler, lots of teeth came out, reconnected and ran the car for a couple of years.this is when knock and rattle developed.Thought like others,bearing failure.
I decided to build my spare engine.new bearings,rings,and machine work done.got rotating assembly done by a local machine shop.used old heads, but cleaned and ported them.new valve steam seals.springs still look and spec like new...lifters checked and cleaned like new.cam good and reused.roller cam button reused.push rods check,cleaned,reused.timing cover and oil pump cleaned and reused.
installed engine and broke in....same dang knock/rattle.
the same sound, in the front of motor....timing cover area.
so heres a list of parts and things ive done to diag the sound;
Brand new timing cover
New oil pump
New double roller setup
New crank sensor
New cam sensor
Checked flex plate
Oil pressure 25psi idle hot...65 at 2000 rpm im park
New rad, not using a oil cooler intil I get a new radiator that has one.

I woundering if cam is bent on end where cam sensor gear is?
roller cam button defective? Allowing cam to "walk"?
Another defective cam sensor?
rattle starts at 2000 rpm, and only there at accelleration of rpms in park.not drove car yet.sounds like timing chain slapping against the cover...no evidence of any clearence issues on old cover.....im stummped

Is the water pump new also? My gn had a similar noise up front and found a broken wp shaft. D

New cam sensor on the way.....took belt off to eliminate accessories. my tech looked over again and suspects passenger rocker arm....ill keep yall posted...thanks.

Now we are thinking the front cam bearing or cam defetive...dont remember checking the gap.

I guess becuase It is from the cam, its heard through out the engine...kicking my butt......

for future searchers, the engine was built too "loose"......mains,and rod bearing clearence too excessive...new motor,ok

Sorry for your luck.

Can you post what clearances the engine was built with that caused these problems?

It would be helpful for future users.

Yeah pulling engines isnt my favorite pastime....the mains and were 40 thousands too much from what I recall...dont remeber the spec my mechanic verified to tolerences were too loose using plasti-gauge

Did you mean 4 thousandths or 40 ten-thousandths (0.004”)???

Hopefully it wasn’t actually 0.040”out of spec:)

Yep, and I even told him this, gave him a spec sheet, and took him for a test drive in another well running tr....but he still built it too loose....but to his credit, I was offered a full refund.

For future reference, Also add the Crank sensor gap (or lack thereof) to the list of possible noises.

I have also seen a Crank pulley come loose (the small bolts around the outer edge where the IC fan bolts )

loose water pump pulley makes a racket also..

Good luck

Thanks, good point,new motor perfect so far. also some other possiblities;

Cam sensor
Cam button
Flywheel