Lack of charcoal cannister failed emissions

rag93vette

I failed the vapor recovery system check due to no charcoal cannister.

Also failed the idle HC and CO tests.

HC loaded 48 idle 329

CO loaded 0 idle 5.30

The tester said my lack of cannister could have cause the high idle readings.

I ordered a new cannister today since i have to have it to pass the visual inspection but should this fix the idle situation?

I have a Thrasher 92. KN, AFPR, Walbro 340 pump.

The charcoal cannister did not cause the emissions failure, the Thrasher chip did. That is an open loop chip, so it idles in open loop. Get a chip that idles in closed loop or use a factory prom for emissions test. The charcoal cannister stores excess fuel vapor in a enclosed area and the excess fuel is drawn into the combustion system during cruise. It really draws no extra horsepower to have it installed and working. The weight savings is probably unmeasurable. If the location is an issue, the mounting tabs can be repositioned to allow the cannister some movement or you can use a relocation kit. Just make sure it does not sit in a position where it can encounter excessive vibration. The activated charcoal can be shaken to a powder and drawn into the combustion and engine (could cause engine damage).

Thanks i will put the factory chip back in before i get it retested after my cannister gets here.

Yup it was the chip! Just put the stock chip back in and added the cannister and it passed fine. Thanks very much for your help.

Louis

I tried passing DE emissions with my Thrasher too. Didnt quite work out! :cool:

Went down the road, swapped in the stocker chip, came back 2 minutes later to the recheck lane, and the guy just couldnt understand what I did to fix it. :D