Let's talk coil overs

NicksTurbo6

Looking to improve the ride on my GN, and have adjustability in the ride height. I currently run Billsteins all around, stock springs in the rear, DSE drop springs in the front. I did this as the stock front springs were a bitch to try and reinstall, and didn't want to kill myself. Can't say I'm too crazy about the way the front lowering springs ride. I was looking into the Viking system, but I really like the set up from Ride Tech. To the guys that went over to coil overs, what are your thoughts? I also have DSE front and rear sway bars, and rear arms. Ideally I want to lower the rear like an inch, and bring the front up an inch. Looking for a decent ride and handling.

Lowering the car more than ~2" from stock requires geometry adjustment front and rear or it'll ride like crap. You'll need adjustable upper control arms in the back so you can re-set the pinion angle, and you'll need replacement front control arms that are meant to work with threaded body coilovers.

The Speedtech, Ridetech, or UMI are the easy buttons.

1st off- Coilovers in the FRONT of a G-body, that use the stock mounting locations are a HORRIBLE choice!! They do not allow for enough stored energy in the springs for efficient weight transfer.

Because the coilover in the front in stock mounting locations have such a shorter spring, it means that the spring rate must be stiffer, which means that when at ride height the spring is barely compressed. The amount a spring is compressed is the amount of stored energy in the spring (relative to the spring rate) that is available at launch for weight transfer.

Smaller/shorter spring with a very high spring rate = barely compressed spring, which means there is very little energy in the spring to help you hook up at launch.

Back to your question...

If you are looking to lower the car in the front, the absolute best pieces you could put on your car would be the SC&C/SPC double adjustable upper control arms with the Howe extra tall ball joints, and the SC&C/SPC lower control arms with the modular spring pockets.. OR The SC&C/ATS ATX spindle system.

Here is what the SC&C double adjustable UCA's and the SC&C LCAs look like installed on a car with the Howe Extra tall ball joints:

The SC&C/SPC upper and lower control arm system is the only system that fundamentally addresses the geometry issues of the G-body by fixing the front pickup points of the tie rods and LCA ball joint locations on the spindle, which are the direct cause of the bumpsteer issues on our cars. It should be noted that just by swapping to this system will drop the car between 1"-1.25" but with the modular spring pocket the SPC LCA's have, you can raise the ride height of the car up to 2" through the usage of spring shims.

This system was the original system to use the larger ball joints, which you see every other company copying today. The SPC lower control arms use a modular spring pocket that allow you to run either shocks or coilovers, and also allows you to adjust the ride height of the car up to 2" by using varying thickness spring inserts. Start with a shorter than stock spring, maybe 2" short than stock but same spring rate. If the car sits too low, use any combination of the spacers that come in the kit, and place them under the spring pocket to raise the ride height of the car without having to swap new springs.

Here is a picture of my dirty SPC lower control arms and the modular spring pocket at the bottom of the spring. It is the grey piece underneath the black spring, that you can see is in a circular shape around my Varishock QS2 shocks:

Another pic of my dirtyass arms showing the spring pocket:

FOR REFERENCE, What the control arms look like without the spring, shock, or modular spring pocket installed:

In the rear I would suggest running a shorter spring but with a set of shocks that have a very wide range of adjustment. My personal favorite are Varishock QS2 double adjustable shocks. They are true pro-touring shocks that work well for both road racing/auto-x and for the drag strip. They have that broad of an adjustment range.

Nothing can come close to the performance of the SPC setup for the front of the car for geometry correction, and performance.

If you want to lower the rear of the car, get yourself some GOOD shocks, and pick up some springs with the same spring rate but maybe .5-.75" shorter if you are looking for a 1" drop.

Hope this helps!

Looking to improve the ride on my GN, and have adjustability in the ride height. I currently run Billsteins all around, stock springs in the rear, DSE drop springs in the front. I did this as the stock front springs were a bitch to try and reinstall, and didn't want to kill myself. Can't say I'm too crazy about the way the front lowering springs ride. I was looking into the Viking system, but I really like the set up from Ride Tech. To the guys that went over to coil overs, what are your thoughts? I also have DSE front and rear sway bars, and rear arms. Ideally I want to lower the rear like an inch, and bring the front up an inch. Looking for a decent ride and handling.
Hi Nick,

We have been building "Pro-touring" cars for many years now and not just building them but Racing them as well doing Real world testing at tracks figuring out what really works and what's Hype or "Old Hat" technology! Call and talk to the places who actually install, Test, and race their products on a weekly basis to give us the best results and best products that actually work!

Nick give us a call at 865-680-4008 and we will go over your options and the right direction to go... Here are just a few of our customers cars and our test car... As you see below we have been doing this awhile and know the Buick's just a little bit...
Scot W.

Our Test car ( Tested and ran DSE, RideTech, Hotchkis, suspensions on this exact car)
DSC_0147.JPG

Donnie Brook's Car (All RideTech suspension)
22851827_405983789818929_8377070153602549632_n.jpg

Dick Townsend's car Testing / dialing in / racing his All RideTech equiped car..
20246408_10213749960732918_5783202470215223297_n.jpg

Dick Townsend's car at BG
PTGNX-13-768x512.jpg

Barron Magee's car with DSE suspension
Barron Magee.jpg

David Rego's Air Ride equipped car..
David Rego.jpg

Last edited:
Scott's the best. He's tested a lot of different suspensions and knows what works and what's best for your application. I have a Ridetech air ride my car. I spoke to Scott before I bought it. Explained everything to me very clearly.

i have vikings all the way around.....great customer service, easy to set up
Did you go with their stock height coilover kit or did you get their-2"-3" kit? I'm in the market for coilovers and would like to lower my stance a little, but I'm just not sure which kit would best suit me. Thanks

let Me go through my paper work so I can get you what I had
I did have to get a longer spring for the rear