Locking the converter

sailbrd

I read threads about "locking up the converter." I know that there is a lockup of some kind when I am in 4th gear but am not sure what everyone is talking about for racing.

I also have a 200r4 in my GSX and use manual switch to lock/unlock the converter. I was told that it was not a good idea to try and do a full throttle lockup with my 455.

Hey sailbird I was just wanting to see if you sent off that payment for the wheels the other day like you were planning. Please let me know.

most lower powered gns will run faster in the quarter with the converter locked.now the same results will be there with your gsx but you must have parts capable of handling the increased load placed on the during a wot lockup.

Hi guys ! New to this site. I have a quick question. So when is the best time to hit the switch for force lockup during a W
OT pass in the 1/4 mile?

Hi guys ! New to this site. I have a quick question. So when is the best time to hit the switch for force lockup during a W
OT pass in the 1/4 mile?

I just do it before I start the run. Normal forced WOT lockup won't engage until 2nd gear anyway. It won't lock at idle or anything.

I just do it before I start the run. Normal forced WOT lockup won't engage until 2nd gear anyway. It won't lock at idle or anything.

If it's a normal valve body without some wild modifications, it actually won't lock until you hit third.

If it's a normal valve body without some wild modifications, it actually won't lock until you hit third.

Not true. If you have a manual switch to lock the converter and it's set to the lock position the converter will lock as soon as the transmission hits 2nd gear. The transmission is designed so it cannot lock in first, mainly for safety reasons.

Eric can lock it automatically with his chip as an option. When I used LU convertors I'd have him lock it for me via his chip. Contact your convertor vendor first before locking it at WOT.

Not true. If you have a manual switch to lock the converter and it's set to the lock position the converter will lock as soon as the transmission hits 2nd gear. The transmission is designed so it cannot lock in first, mainly for safety reasons.

Interesting. I had a non-BRF 200-4R in a Grand Prix that was on a switch, and it wouldn't lock until third. It was my impression that the lockup circuit didn't get any pressure until 3rd was engaged.

Interesting. I had a non-BRF 200-4R in a Grand Prix that was on a switch, and it wouldn't lock until third. It was my impression that the lockup circuit didn't get any pressure until 3rd was engaged.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/electrical/switches.html

Locks up in 2nd. Normal stock operation would hold the lock until you were cruising in 3rd above 45 MPH (unlocks on WOT), but if you force it with a jumper or a switch, it locks at WOT early when you hit 2nd gear.

It can easily be modified electrically to only lock in third or even only lock in fourth if you desire by running it through the third or fourth gear pressure switch.

Eric can lock it automatically with his chip as an option. When I used LU convertors I'd have him lock it for me via his chip. Contact your convertor vendor first before locking it at WOT.
I have a LU converter, however, Dave Husek specifically said to not lock the converter unless it was in OD. Eric programmed my chip per my request. So my signature is a little misleading, because at the track I won't be using OD so essentially I have a NU when at the track or when I have a heavy foot on the street.

Careful. Some converters can't take the abuse. Also, if locking in 2nd gear, the 2-3 shift can snap the drum since there is no give/slip. I tend to lock it top end of 3rd gear. Feels like a 4th gear but pulls so much better. 1-3 mph depending on the combo and if it is locked at the right RPM. Locking too early will bog the hell out of it.