Lost oil pressure

GNGAL

86 GN T-Top
Driving and lost oil pressure.

White smoke from breather, oil pressure gauge was in the middle of 0 and 25, oil light came on on the cluster.

I checked turbo line and it is not clogged... working on getting that back on after the rain stops....whats my next stuff to check??

Staranded on I55 north bound.. just south of Springfield, Illinois

Sounds like you blew a head gasket. Check the dipstick for milky like liquid, check the breather for the same.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

sounds pretty dire. do you have any friends with a trailer?

the oil pressure light comes on when the pressure is very, very low. so assuming the car was still running ok, I suspect a broken oil pump, or something like that.

B

Thanks... heading to a hotel tonight (via tow truck) in Springfield, Illinois. Going to do more diagnosis once i get checked in.

Oil has a grey tint to it. If it is a head gasket... i have an extra set with me... could do it in the hotel parking lot.... actually. .. wouldnt have a choice.. would have to do it there. Good thing i brought all my tools

TurboBob has a good point also. I have seen the roll pin break that fastens the oil pump/cam sensor gear to the shaft. To check, just remove the cam sensor cap, have someone crank the engine. The sensor cup should rotate if the roll pin is good.

oil pump drive gears can also crack and then the shaft cant spin the gear at the end
you have to be under 4psi for the dash idiot light to come on

Car was running great. Im checked in at Rt 66 hotel in Springfield. Going to walk to autozone for anything i may need tonight

Nothing like a beautiful women with a great set of tools. Sorry I had to say that. ;) Anyone else from the tour there able to help out?

Sounds like you blew a head gasket. Check the dipstick for milky like liquid, check the breather for the same.

Oil has greyish to it... nothing can be seen by breather

If the engine has cooled down check the water level in the radiator.

TurboBob has a good point also. I have seen the roll pin break that fastens the oil pump/cam sensor gear to the shaft. To check, just remove the cam sensor cap, have someone crank the engine. The sensor cup should rotate if the roll pin is good.

Thanks... going to check that now

Nope.. just me... have tools will travel.. lol.

Taking the cam sensor cap off wont mess with settings will it ?

If you blew a H/G and got coolant in the oil it should read higher than normal on the stick [depending on how long you drove it that way] and it will look white/gray.

Either way you would still have oil pressure unless you emptied the rad of coolant into the crankcase and took out the bearings. You need to be a little more specific, maybe post a pic of the oil on the stick to verify condition.

Check the rad to verify coolant loss or not. If the oil looks like grey mud it's coolant in the oil.

Take the oil filter off and see what comes out and snap a pic of that.

It could very well be an oil pump issue and not a H/G. Just need a little more info to give you an accurate answer.

oil pump drive gears can also crack and then the shaft cant spin the gear at the end
you have to be under 4psi for the dash idiot light to come on
Would that all be pieces included in an oil pump repair kit? Thinking aout walking to AZ and getting one before they close

Lets just say it IS the oil pump... i take it off... and rebuild it... then should i do an oil change since the oil is greyish? Im praying to god thats all it is

Go easy on posting specifics of your where abouts etc., could be some low lifes reading this. How far is auto zone? Maybe try a cab or uber...

Something to look for:

Good to know... thx. Going to eat and sleep... draining oil and removing pump tomorrow early morning. Pump repair kit will be here at noon... back on the road no later than 4pm... fingers crossed :)