lowering the back

iamjeff

next gen buick enthusiast
i was thinking about lowering my car in the front useing 2" drop spindles in the front and i was wondering what ya'll are doing to lower the back. i was thinking a 2" drop all around would be good, but i dont know. where could i find pictures of lowered cars? thanks a lot for any help that you can give me. i tried the search but didnt really turn anything up.

p.s.-i have some weird obsession to lower all my vehicle...i currently drive a bagged chevy truck.

-jeff

A cheap method is to go and get yourself some used rear springs from a 3rd gen F-Body(Camaro). Make sure you get the rubber insulators that sit on top of the springs. Get a cut off tool for your power drill and cut off 1/4 of a coil at a time from the top of the spring until you get the height you want. Dont get carried away cutting because one coil is a lot on F-body springs. Give your car a chance to settle before making the next cut. I spent an afternoon doing this on my car and the end result was worth it. Other Regals look like 4WD compared to it.

Eric Fisher

Yeah, let me dig some out. I dont have them in jpeg format so I may have to post them on a web page. Might take me a couple of days and I'll let you know when I get it done. Eric

Turbofish38,

Can I get a copy of those pics too? I've got Eibach pro-kit springs on mine now, but it's not a big enough drop for me.

Thanks,

If you get drop springs for the f-body rear it will work perfect. That is what I did and it came out perfect. For the front I bought the 5662 springs rated at 700lb. It is supposed to drop the front 1" to leaving it even but on my car it rose the front end 2". Car looks raked to the rear. I am cutting a full coil in the front to get the car even with the rear. If you wait I will get you picks in a week.

so you guys are saying i could get my friend's stock springs off his almost brand new 2002 WS6 and cut a coil or two off the top, then it will work fine as a lowering spring for my buick? i just wanna make sure before i go about buying them and cutting them...

Stock spring of a Third gen F-body. 82 to 91 I believe. Also I would start with just 1/2 a coil and I almost sure 2 coils would be too much.

Originally posted by iamjeff
i where could i find pictures of lowered cars? thanks a lot for any help that you can give me.

My lowered '86 GN

The rear is 1" and the front is 2" Bell Tech dropped front spindles with 17s on all 4 corners.

Hey Guys,Here are some photos of my GN with the cut Camaro springs. Sorry about the format as this was the only place I could find to host my pix. The 4 455 pictures are from my 455 Regal I am building. To much to describe and I will try and post at another time. All of the GN PIX are kind of "old school" by some of you younger guys standards but I did this as a low budget/no budget project. This is from 6 years ago when I used to do a lot of autocross. Its really just poly bushings with wide tires. The fronts are 15X8 and on the rear are 15X10 widened stock chromes with a 72 Skylark 8.5 running 11" drum brakes. The Lark axle is 3' wider which makes the rear track wider. The wheels are 10" with a 6.25"BS. The tires are Yokahoma 285/40-15 AVS. They dont make this size anymore so I have to use 265/50-15 which sucks because I dont have the traction I used to have. There are no captions so if you want a better explanation I'll be glad to answer. Oh and the car sits about 3" lower than stock. Use this link to see the pictures.
http://www.msnusers.com/4bj8s57jrtgqog6a0hf3cstjq3/documents.msnw?fc_p=/Pictures&fc_a=0

Thanks Eric

oh god :eek:

good thing i waited until i was home alone to check out those pics, i love it.

i want that, exactly that stance.. with my gta wheels. mmmm..

what did you use to lower the front? just spindles? that looks really good. that is how i want mine to sit. does the f-body springs not have the pig tales like the GN springs? thanks

-jeff

To lower the front I used a combination of BellTech drop spindles with Camaro 1LE springs with 1 full coil cut. I am planning on changing springs as soon as I see if the Hotchkisses that I have on the 455 car work. The spindles have to much bump steer in them and it gets scary when you hit a dip in the track while you are doing 100MPH. The Camaro springs are almost to stiff for everyday driving but you get used to it. The rear F-body springs are only pigtailed on the bottom, full coils on the top which is why they are easy to cut.

Eric