Lt1 vs lt4 starter

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Sorry, I'm sure this has been beat to death, but which starter is better and why? I have an LT1 starter now. Do I have anything to gain switching to an LT4?

the LT4 starter is smaller and lighter- it looks like an aftermarket mini starter.
the only real gain to replacing a perfectly good LT1 starter with an LT4 starter is a couple of pounds off the engine and a few $$$ out of your pocket.

the LT4 starter is smaller and lighter- it looks like an aftermarket mini starter.
the only real gain to replacing a perfectly good LT1 starter with an LT4 starter is a couple of pounds off the engine and a few $$$ out of your pocket.
Same bolts as LT1? Do they last longer? Thanks, Dave

You'd be hard pressed to find a weight difference. They weigh virtually the same.

I bought an LT4 years ago because they were new and the LT1's were all remans (and back then cost nearly as much as an LT4).

I haven't priced an LT4 starter lately, but the LT1's came WAY down in price from when I bought my LT4.

Okay, so I got an LT4 Starter from autozone today to see for myself. It's a pound heavier. The LT1 8 lbs and the LT4 starter 9 lbs. What if any is the gain of the LT4 starter??? Dave

LT-4 starter is a gear reduction design like the mini-starters so it should handle any compression or heat soak we can throw at it. It does not have a nose cone to break off if the engine should ever backfire. Due to the smaller size, the factory heat shield is now unnecessary too.
I've had my new AC/Delco #10455709 going on 6 years now with zero issues. I'm not sure how easy it will be to service it but with a retail price of $286.40 and a list price of $619.39 :eek: I'll definately give it a shot if needed. (I got a deal at $135.00 in 2004). :smile:
I think you'll be very happy with the mopar hemi sound too. :biggrin:

-Jimmy.

new or reman? either way good price.

local advanced auto parts wanted over $200 with core. new i think the wanted like $350? needless to say i left there with no starter.
New Duralast. I own a garage, so I get the nice price, usually!!! I'm just wondering which is better?