Lug bolts/Lug nuts causing me fits

rssooner

Hello everyone.

I have moser axles and 3" lug bolts with open ended lug nuts. I had issues with tightening a couple of the lug nuts all the way. It was like they were cross threaded or something about 1/4 to 1/2 way down. One of the bolts broke so I had to remove the axles in order to replace. Since I needed to do this I went ahead and replaced all bolts/nuts on the rear axles. So now I have 10 new bolts/nuts. The exact same thing has happened in that 3-4 easily tighten and a couple of them get about half way and becomes VERY hard to tighten. If I didn't have a impact wrench then there was no way I could tighten them without snapping another bolt off.

I am just scratching my head wondering why I am having issues...anyone have this happen and what was the remedy?

Thanks a lot!

RS

Did you try hand threading the lug nuts on the bolts b/f you installed them? Maybe some of the lug nuts are boogered up. Have you tried running a thread chase through them? A new set might be needed if they are messed up.

lugs are not designed to use grease, They are designed to go on dry. But to each his own.

Been doing it since I changed my first tire no issues. I have seen lots of lugs galled up from not having it. I agree, to each his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't have a impact wrench then there was no way I could tighten them without snapping another bolt off.

I am just scratching my head wondering why I am having issues...anyone have this happen and what was the remedy?

They still don't fit, and you use an impact wrench on them?? SMH.

Sounds like you have the wrong lug nuts. Double check the threading. I also use grease on all my lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did that once a long long time ago. My threads on my studs were a little rough and I thought using a little grease while threading on a new set of lugs would help shave and straiten them a bit.

My cart started to wobble on the highway a bit and then almost instantly thereafter then shake violently. When I pulled over I found that my wheel was just seconds from falling off.

Needed to make a call on my brick sized Nextel to have someone bring me some spare lugs.

I don't recommend grease on the lug nuts.

They still don't fit, and you use an impact wrench on them?? SMH.

The couple I have had fits with fit and screw on fine until about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the bolt then it becomes VERY hard to advance...even with an impact wrench. Others have said I may have the wrong nut/bolt combo but I am using the same with all 10 and having issues with only a couple. Why I am scratching my head is that the same thing happened on my other nuts/bolts.

Could there be something going on with the axle/wheel hub that it's affecting the couple of bolts? Just trying to figure this out so I don't keep snapping bolts and having to pull the axle EVERY time they break.

thanks
RS

I'd guess the threads are wrong. There are some SAE and Metic threads that look the same and it's a PIA on our cars since there's a mix. I check everything with a thread checker before using.

Are these new axles & studs , and the first time putting lugs on them ?? If so , maybe the studs are mixed metric & SAE . I would remove the wheel and try to run the same lug all the way down on each stud first without any binding . It still sounds like mixed SAE & metric studs and or lugs .

The couple I have had fits with fit and screw on fine until about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the bolt then it becomes VERY hard to advance...even with an impact wrench. Others have said I may have the wrong nut/bolt combo but I am using the same with all 10 and having issues with only a couple. Why I am scratching my head is that the same thing happened on my other nuts/bolts.

Could there be something going on with the axle/wheel hub that it's affecting the couple of bolts? Just trying to figure this out so I don't keep snapping bolts and having to pull the axle EVERY time they break.

thanks
RS
Buy correct taps and dies and chase the threads on every part. Done.

correct taps and dies? i'm unfamiliar with what this is...
You've pulled the axles and replaced the studs but you don't know what taps and dies are? Just buy a tap and die set and run the correct size down the stud.....it's pretty simple. Or you could take to a machine shop and they could be done on a lathe. Good luck....

Attachments

• td.PNG
    td.PNG
    302 KB · Views: 35
I use never seize on my car, otherwise the winter tire changeover doesn't go so well with all the chemicals they use on the roads.

Never an issue with neverseize, I think I will copyright that one. :p

While lugs are designed to be clean and corrosion free fasteners, in the real world the jury is still out on what will allow that to work out best. :cool: