Made a stock balancer neutral

Mike T

Needed a neutral hub for a project so I modified a stock na balancer. Used a mini lathe, drill press and a die grinder.
IMG_20190305_101734285.jpg
IMG_20190305_123426103.jpg

So this is how I zeroed it out. There is a series of evenly spaced holes on the outer perimeter of the balancer. I installed a 10-gram bolt in a random hole and moved it one hole at a time until vibration improved.

Got lucky because on about the 5th hole vibration went away that meant I needed to remove 10g 180 degrees from the bolt.

Did some ABA testing and discovered I can feel as little as 2 grams out on my small lathe.
IMG_20190306_092413739.jpg

That was actually pretty simple. Like I said it's a very light lathe mounted on rubber feet I spun it to 3600 RPM with no material in it to verify that the lathe felt smooth.

After completing the process above I moved the hub around in chuck to make sure that it was repeatable. Before taking all of the 10 grams off I took it to about 8 and put a 2 gram piece of plastic in the hole to verify that's what we needed.

Upon completion I stuck the 2 gram piece of plastic in random holes and it vibrated in every hole which tells me it is correct.

IMG_20190306_094728239.jpg

Good info , I think my 2000 # lathe is not a candidate for this process . I like your creativity .

The downside to the small lathe is that you must run it at the slowest speed while removing the bulk of the counterweight, otherwise it will jump off of the bench.

From what I've found you can get it close if you knock the counterweight off and use care to make sure the triangle shaped holes along with the area around the threaded bolt holes (back side of balancer) are dimensionally correct.

When making my corrections the material removed actually made the hub symmetrical in shape.

Any chance you can reupload these pics? I would love to see this. I'm in a rebuild and would rather modify my stock balancer neutral or internal balance for my new setup rather then buy a $750 bhj. Thank you in advance!

Not sure where the pictures are I'd have to look.

It can be done if you have a bunch of free time on your hands but honestly the best deal would be purchasing the unit TA sells. I just bought a ATI that's pretty nice too and it's a bit cheaper than the BHJ

I believe the part # is TA V2026
For the TA performance unit.

It has a removable counterweight that allows it to be used in internal or external applications.

The TA 2026 is for v8s so be sure that you're searching with the "V" part number for our v6

I believe the part # is TA V2026
For the TA performance unit.

It has a removable counterweight that allows it to be used in internal or external applications.

The TA 2026 is for v8s so be sure that you're searching with the "V" part number for our v6
I neutral balanced a stock damper back in the day. It was a bunch of work and I ended up damaging the trigger ring getting it off. I never finished the project because I didn't have a good fixture to properly locate the replacement trigger ring. The TA unit is the best bet I have used them and they are really nice but don't break the bank.

Neal

I neutral balanced a stock damper back in the day. It was a bunch of work and I ended up damaging the trigger ring getting it off. I never finished the project because I didn't have a good fixture to properly locate the replacement trigger ring. The TA unit is the best bet I have used them and they are really nice but don't break the bank.

Neal
Got it, I wont mess with the stock one then. My buddy has a ATI Super Damper I might be able to use, if not I was looking at TA's neutral balancer for $350 the TA_V2026, ati new wants $515 for 917456. Thank you Neal!