Massive oil loss

MCH86GN

I was cruising around in my GN and I noticed valvetrain noise and I then looked at my oil pressure and it was down to 10 psi. I was close to home so I drove it a few blocks to my house and shut it down. I noticed that oil is leaking everywhere and the oil pressure drop was in fact a massive oil loss. I haven't got to look at the car yet, but I plan to. I don't know what could've happened, rebuild only has 3k miles on it. It was built by Dave Roland, I hope that it's something simple and that the loss oil didn't cause the bearings to get chewed up or anything else. I just spent a pretty penny rebuilding this block! Any ideas?

Same on my car with around 20k in 1990’s fortunately I was in a parking lot.

^^^ This!
And, add oil, have the wife hold the revs at about 4K, and you stick your head under the hood....

*****Oil cooler lines leaking, oil filter gasket failure, turbo oil line broke or came off, valve cover gasket squeezed out, rear main seal, etc... You will have to look and see where it is dripping from.

Lots of potential places for leaks. A new motor should at least be somewhat cleaner than a 30+ year old untouched motor so it should be easier to assess where the leak is coming from.

Good luck

Oil cooler line could definitely be an oil cooler line. I had one move up against downpipe and melt.

That was a very bad day...........

Oil cooler line could definitely be an oil cooler line. I had one move up against downpipe and melt.

That was a very bad day...........
Well, it was probably a bad day for me too. I just don't know it yet.

Well that's the best thing to do. I'm scared of what I might find. Just spent around $13k on the motor.
Well, many of us have felt that same way with our cars. You may find it's something stupid like I did. The valve cover vent grommets were not allowing fumes to flow out the vents and pressure built up and sent oil out the dipstick tube.

Well, many of us have felt that same way with our cars. You may find it's something stupid like I did. The valve cover vent grommets were not allowing fumes to flow out the vents and pressure built up and sent oil out the dipstick tube.
We'll see. Once the rain lets up here I will check. I hope it's something stupid.

The sending unit is down at the front of the block, near the water pump where the hose attaches. You might add some oil back in and fire it up and take a look. I'm guessing someone put a tee in when the gauge was installed but you would have to look and see. Careful of the belt, it can leave a mark.

I had just changed the oil a few days before.
Hummm. Probably something to do with that like oil filter o ring failure or it loosening up. What brand filter?

Oil cooler line leak?
Had this happen on a near new 86.
Hey Chuck, no oil cooler lines. I'm going to do a visual inspection, then if I don't come up with anything maybe I'll put oil in it and run it. First though I will check the filter and oil pan. I'm hoping that if it is something stupid that I didn't hurt the motor, but I'm thinking worst.

Turbo return line?, intake manifold?,it should be pretty obvious put some more oil in her and start her up and look . If you are loosing that much oil I should be able to spot it pretty fast .

Turbo return line?, intake manifold?,it should be pretty obvious put some more oil in her and start her up and look . If you are loosing that much oil I should be able to spot it pretty fast .
Ok. I will give it a try. For testing purposes I should be able to use dino oil.

Dino oil will be fine. Fill it to full and start her up. Look, Look, and Look again.

Throw a couple of layers of cheap cardboard accordion packing or some oil-dry pads under it to soak up the spillage.

******Been there with a massive oil leak. In my case, the turbo oil line literally broke off at the turbo and made a HUGE mess as well as smoke. Scared the heck out of me as I thought the car was gonna light on fire and the neighborhood kids would make smores over the burning wreckage. Luckily I was at home and figured something was horribly wrong when I smelled oil and saw tons of smoke.

Good luck in your case and hope it is something minor.