Motor oil. Why so darn difficult

NOKA72

Hey guys. It's funny. After all the reading and searching I still am perplexed on what oil and weight/ additive or not, that I am going to use in my recently purchased. 12k mile GN. The net makes your head spin. Vinny

I did the same thing. Found myself caught up in the swirl of Brad Penn vs Mobil 1 and yada yada...i finally settled on Oreillys 10W-30 with Rislone as the ZDDP additive. I dont drive mine much and probably change it every 6 months when I feel like it. There is harder things to determine when owning one of these than oil..

Many people have their specific preference for one reason or another.

In The end, just pick a descent and reputable oil and you’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t cable into synthetic territory.

From what I’ve read some people swear on ZDDP additive and other have great results without it.

For the money, I use ZDDP since it can’t hurt.

D

This thread should be closed, stickied, and all future threads about oil selection redirected to this thread.

Supertech special blend found at whatever wally world is close by. Whatever blend you prefer...motor oil has proven itself over how many years now???... In a 1950 Ford or a 1986 buick,.. Its still All the same shit...Mike

Last edited:
I understand guys. Just making a statement that one can read and the info thats out there can just make one nuts . That's all. Vinny

I think the main issue is that these engines supposedly have tight tolerances and zinc was taken out of some oils while some (specialty ones?) retain it and without it, it was hard on the cams or something. Also the oil filter is a big thing too, use a quality one not Fram. I've heard Wix (Napa Gold) or AC Delco.

For any car I used to go by: Really hot weather, lots of driving use 10w 30. Colder weather not much driving 5w 30.

I understand guys. Just making a statement that one can read and the info thats out there can just make one nuts . That's all. Vinny
There are a few that will work and like pacecarta said go reccomended or close viscosity for a stock engine. ...,,Personal experience has shown me that the brad penn is a very good oil, the cost is reasonable, buy a case and 2 good wix filters and your good for a year. ......... These oil matters are really over complicated needlessly and are not always based on a good internal inspection,..... I base my opinion on engines I have torn down and there internal condition which has been excellent on all critical wear surfaces with brad penn......all I have used in a performance engine the last 6 years......no need to over play this.

Last edited:
There are a few that will work and like pacecarta said go reccomended or close viscosity for a stock engine. ...,,Personal experience has shown me that the brad penn is a very good oil, the cost is reasonable, buy a case and 2 good wix filters and your good for a year. ......... These oil matters are really over complicated needlessly and are not always based on a good internal inspection,..... I base my opinion on engines I have torn down and there internal condition which has been excellent on all critical wear surfaces with brad penn......all I have used in a performance engine the last 6 years......no need to over play this.