Motor refresh questions

blacknight80

My motor is due for a refresh this winter(if it makes it) and I want to start gathering parts. Will 8445 heads bolt up to my 82 block with out issues? Are there any issues rollerizing the stock block and heads? I've read all I could and I didn't gather there were any issues with any of my questions but I would like to here from the guys that have been through this before.

What head gaskets should I use that won't change compression?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The changes to the block in 84 that gn ttype has listed is what raised all the questions.
a1bca28d003544d7e09ec75b8042ff5f.jpg

These differences will be a non issue for you. Use the 8445 casting heads, Fel Pro 9441 PT headgaskets. All rocker stands on the heads need clearanced for roller rocker arms if you use them, a roller camshaft will work OK with no issues just make sure either the camshaft or front cam bearing or block are grooved for oil. Check and verify pushrod length if going roller cam.

Thanks so much. I'm not planning on going with roller rockers, just the lifters and a mild cam (206, 206) so I should be able to get away with out any machining. Exchange is a bitch for us up here so cost might keep me flat tappet. Everyone makes a big deal about going roller but I don't know If I agree. Lots of zddp and a flat tappet should do fine.

I like the 206/206 cam, I have Comp cams roller version in my blowthru engine with stock rocker arms. Nothing wrong with the flat tappet either, which ever way you go. For any cam bigger than a 204/214 the valve guides will need cut down on the exhaust if the heads are stock.

Awesome thanks war wagon. I really appreciate your advice. Does the base circle of the cam require different bearings to allow it to fit the bore? I might be missing something here but if they increased the base circle wouldn't that mean the cam bore would have also been enlarged compared to the early blocks.

No increase on the camshaft bearing area just the lobes, they are still lower than the bearing surface.

Just make sure you get cam bearings for a 14 bolt oil pan if a 84 block is used, there is a difference in 14 bolt oil pan and the 85 thru 87 20 bolt oil.pan cam bearings . TA Performance makes the nice double grooved cam bearings , little more expensive, both worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just make sure you get cam bearings for a 14 bolt oil pan if a 84 block is used, there is a difference in 14 bolt oil pan and the 85 thru 87 20 bolt oil.pan cam bearings . TA Performance makes the nice double grooved cam bearings , little more expensive, both worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks they are pricey but I'm sure they are worth it