My new gn1 aluminum heads have some damage. Need advice

ttribejr

JUST got them. Opened the first box and this was staring me in the face. I know how much a pain in the ass it is for our headers to seal. I was planning on having my headers machined perfectly flat and running no gasket. I think this will leak. Probably even with any gasket. I need opinions. Sucks, I was going to start working on it this weekend.

I’m thinking I have to send this back. I’d be pissed if it leaks. Fingernail catches in it easily. And is the entire width of the exhaust flange.

What do you think? Is it nothing or is it something? I don’t want to find out the hard way.

To me it looks as if that whole sealing surface is not flat. It looks as if there is a step right above the exhaust port. If it's worth your wait I would send the pair back to wherever you got them from if they own up to the blem. If not, just about every component to an engine build has to have some machining or grinding modification to it. I would take care of that to your level of satisfaction so that it doesn't become a would've, could've, should've situation and more downtime.

I didn’t even catch that. I wrapped them back up and put them in the box. I’ll look at that closer tomorrow. The camera picked that up well. My eyes were focused on gouge and it brought up the memory of me having my headers on and off 3 times before I had them leak free.

Wouldnt even hesitate, back to the vender with them. Sucks cause you have to wait for new ones but better safe than sorry.

Just so you know there are muiltable things you will have to do to them before you bolt them up . First is they say they are port matched to felpro 1200 but guess what they are pretty far off . Second is you definitely will need to englarge the pushrod holes so they actually clear normal size push rods . And if that lil scratch is bothering you I take it you would have someone do the work so while they are doing the port matching and pushrod enlarging they could mill the exsaust flange flat . Here are some pics of out the box gn1s just to show you what I’m talking about . The red marking is the meat that shouldn’t be there to match up with the intake gasket .
741E8A59-9FA6-4B20-BD28-F5B9EE9B12B3.jpeg
3D1031B7-BC4C-48D1-9C9F-D2447E2903AA.jpeg
7A533389-57AC-400C-B706-2B0181C93F9E.jpeg

My pushrod holes are already larger than yours. The gasket match is not perfect, but appears better than yours. Worst part is on that coolant passage. Waiting on a call back still to see about resolution.

Is the champion ported stock intake gasket matched well for the 1200? I might order one. Whats the point of the big ass GN1 intake? at what point is that useful over a ported stock?

My pushrod holes are already larger than yours. The gasket match is not perfect, but appears better than yours. Worst part is on that coolant passage. Waiting on a call back still to see about resolution.

Is the champion ported stock intake gasket matched well for the 1200? I might order one. Whats the point of the big ass GN1 intake? at what point is that useful over a ported stock?

The "big ass" intake has the EGR tower deleted, raises up the location of the injectors in the intake runners, and flows more out of the box (without any additional porting done to it) than a stock ported intake can flow.

I don't know at what horsepower level a ported stock intake becomes a limitation, but all I can tell you is that when I called Duttweiler about what intake to purchase for my motor that he is building for me, they recommended the Race intake manifold. Keep in mind I am shooting for over 1,300hp eventually.

Porting to a 1200 gasket is pointless. The stock intake runners can be opened up that far all the way up, and neither can the heads by the pushrods. Stock intake will outflow most any intake port. To properly port match, you need the heads bolted to the engine and set the intake down. Just because you center the gasket, it doesnt mean it will line up 100% once everything is together.

Porting to a 1200 gasket is pointless. The stock intake runners can be opened up that far all the way up, and neither can the heads by the pushrods. Stock intake will outflow most any intake port. To properly port match, you need the heads bolted to the engine and set the intake down. Just because you center the gasket, it doesnt mean it will line up 100% once everything is together.

What he said X2

Stock ported intake has gone 8s

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If i recall the unported Champion aluminum ports will match a STOCK Valley pan gasket. The Champion PORTED heads will match a 1200 gasket