New Engine

rbarragan

Hello all. I have recently reinstalled my 3.8 back in my T. I removed it due to a blown head gasket and leaking rear main. I installed the engine and got it started but the idle will not come down. I have tried setting my TPS with my snap on modis and the voltage jumps between 0.00 and 4.36 without me even adjusting the sensor. Also when the car is started the IAC reads 0. So no mater how much I have moved the TPS it doesn't adjust. I have tried replacing the TPS and still no luck. The car is idling at 3000 RPM's. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

You first need to adjust the IAC.... Back out the idle screw until flush with throttle body. Now turn it in 2.5 turns..... Turn on key, engine off, adjust the TPS to .42v.... Now start the car. This should set you in almost perfect. If IAC continue to be high then you have a vacuum leak. TPS does control your idle. It is for throttle response. Also if you are a new guy to the buick seen then I suggest you do some reading.

www.gnttype.org
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com
And here on this site.

Good luck and let us know how things go!&

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

TPS jumping between 0 & 4.36 is a problem.

Did you get your grounds hooked up good on the back of passenger head or intake?

RL

That's what I was thinking. I was thinking the grounds aren't grounded properly. I painted the block but sanded off the paint in the ground locations. CGASTON thanks for the advice but I am getting the feeling you did not read my entire post I have tried what you are suggested as I have explained on my first post.

If the IAC reads 0 that's considered high?

IAC is a measure of the Number of attempts to move the IAC valve. Zero means the computer isn't moving it at all to maintain idle or the throttle blades are too far open.

I have checked all the grounds as stated. They all ground out. I have checked all the vacuum lines and they are all connected. It's throwing codes so I will get back with what they are.

I have checked all the grounds as stated. They all ground out. I have checked all the vacuum lines and they are all connected. It's throwing codes so I will get back with what they are.

What is the voltage offset to ground?

rbarragan said:
That's what I was thinking. I was thinking the grounds aren't grounded properly. I painted the block but sanded off the paint in the ground locations. CGASTON thanks for the advice but I am getting the feeling you did not read my entire post I have tried what you are suggested as I have explained on my first post.

I have read your thread all the way. You said you adjusted the TPS and never once did you say you have adjusted the IAC. But it is a mod point. So have you checked for a bad connection or bust wire on the IAC? I had one on my 86 that cause the IACs to either adjust to 159 or zero.... Nothing else. But also I have seen the idle screw screwed in a lot causing the high idle. With that, the IACs were crazy and wouldn't adjust no matter how I moved/adjusted the TPS. I also recommend what Dave said. Not trying to argue, but sometimes it is the simplest things that fix the problem. And on a ground I would like to think that there are other electrical issues that are noticeable.

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

CGASTON said:
I have read your thread all the way. You said you adjusted the TPS and never once did you say you have adjusted the IAC. But it is a mod point. So have you checked for a bad connection or bust wire on the IAC? I had one on my 86 that cause the IACs to either adjust to 159 or zero.... Nothing else. But also I have seen the idle screw screwed in a lot causing the high idle. With that, the IACs were crazy and wouldn't adjust no matter how I moved/adjusted the TPS. I also recommend what Dave said. Not trying to argue, but sometimes it is the simplest things that fix the problem. And on a ground I would like to think that there are other electrical issues that are noticeable.

Sorry, I meant Rick.... To many turbo names...

Sorry I meant Rick.

Ok guys thanks again for the help. I have connected my snap on modis to the OBD1 port and my data screen isn't showing anyone it isn't picking up any readings. What can you guys think. Now I can't get any values on my screen.

image-3025038145.jpg

Your engine is off right? That is why you wont get any IACs... Also your TPS looks good, that is if you have the pedal to the floor.