Turbo Rebuild, Worth It?

Charles Young

C Young
When I bought my car it had this turbo on it. Not sure what turbo it is but based on rough measurements (turbo assembled). both wheels are about 65 mm. Spooled poorly and started smoking so I took it off and replaced with TE44. Motor was basically stock then. Fast forward to now,,,,, Finishing a stroker build with champion irons and intake, 212/212 roller cam, 60 injectors, husek 3021 converter. The TE44 has to go and I'm considering having this rebuilt with new bearings and seals. The rest appears to be in good shape. Not sure how it would perform or cost of rebuild if sent back to precision. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4963.JPG
    IMG_4963.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4964.JPG
    IMG_4964.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 169
Had to replace the stock one about 10 years ago so checked around to see locally about getting it rebuilt as compared to getting another from Kirban. About the only difference in price was the core charge so kept the old one and someday may try a rebuild kit on it.

When I bought my car it had this turbo on it. Not sure what turbo it is but based on rough measurements (turbo assembled). both wheels are about 65 mm. Spooled poorly and started smoking so I took it off and replaced with TE44. Motor was basically stock then. Fast forward to now,,,,, Finishing a stroker build with champion irons and intake, 212/212 roller cam, 60 injectors, husek 3021 converter. The TE44 has to go and I'm considering having this rebuilt with new bearings and seals. The rest appears to be in good shape. Not sure how it would perform or cost of rebuild if sent back to precision. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Charles,
Give Bison a call.
1. He will ID it.
2. Tell you if it's worth a rebuild.
3. Tell you if it's a match for your new engine.